Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Cleaning Up
 homemade laundry detergent problem
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic homemade laundry detergent problem Next Topic  

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  12:18:02 PM  Show Profile
Have any of you noticed your whites (especially the synthetic fabrics) getting dingy with the homemade laundry detergent? I use a liquid laundry detergent made of borax, washing soda, and grated soap (different kinds, homemade, Ivory, Fels Naptha - it happens with all of them). I washed a black and white stretchy top I bought at Christopher and Banks and the white turned absolutely grey - and no getting it back to white it seems. I have also noticed my husbands T shirts getting more progressively grey as I wash them in the soap. Any of you have this problem?

Farmgirl Sister #98
Visit my online store at:
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  2:18:53 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Sherri- I wouldn't suggest using Ivory soap since it will leave a residue, also you should only use homemade soap that is designed for laundry. Most home soap makers leave an oil reserve in their soap so it is less drying to your hands, but where is that extra oil going to go in the wash? It floats on top of the water and when the water drains- it can settle on your clothes. That is why I started making my laundry only soap, so there wouldn't be a residue left.

Also- do you have hard water? If you have hard water- start adding baking soda to your laundry about a half cup per load.

Wash all of your clothes in hot water with vinegar and baking soda- don't add any more soap. You can add borax and washing soda. Both of those will help get rid of any residue from soap or hard water. If you have a regular washer and not a high efficiency washer, add about a half teaspoon (half that if is an Ultra variety) of hand dish washing liquid to the washer when it is completely full of clothes.

Then put vinegar in a downy ball for the rinse cycle as well.

If the whites still aren't looking very white- put them in a wash by themselves with a half a cup of washing soda and a half a cup of borax on hot hot hot water.

I ran into this problem when I was using my homemade hand soaps instead of using a homemade or store bought laundry soap.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9324 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9324 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  3:50:10 PM  Show Profile
I use 1 part borax to 2 parts baking soda in my wash. That is all and my whites continue to stay white.

God is good....all the time.
Denise
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  4:01:52 PM  Show Profile
I think it is for sure the soap part of the laundry powder. I think less soap is better for sure. The borax and washing soda (or baking soda) really do help with the residue. White vinegar in the cool rinse cycle helps too.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  4:14:44 PM  Show Profile
Thanks ladies - I'm going to try all of your suggestions - one at a time!

Farmgirl Sister #98
Visit my online store at:
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

campchic
True Blue Farmgirl

312 Posts

Erin
Nebraska
USA
312 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  06:13:35 AM  Show Profile
Where do you find homemade laundry soap? Is it better than Fels Naptha?

Erin

Farmgirl #190
www.concrete-and-grace.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  06:48:17 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Erin- I make homemade soap for laundry. I like it better than Fels because it has no petrochemicals in it like Fels does (Fels only has a little and I used it for a long time with great success). So I guess where to find it? My website!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic homemade laundry detergent problem Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page