Author Reading Room: Previous Topic A Tree Grows in Brooklyn Next Topic  

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2006 :  9:30:21 PM  Show Profile
Anyone read it? I'm not sure why it took me so long to get to this one...but it was wonderful! It's not a story of farm life...but does tell of how a family made due on so very little. I highly recommend it.
Rhonda

...and I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance, even if I'm the only one!

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2006 :  05:04:01 AM  Show Profile
Yes, I read it many years ago. I don't remember much about it, except that it was about the longings of a young girl in the thirties or forties, and that it was very poignant and sweet.

Maybe I'll have to get it back down and read it again. Thanks for reminding me about it.

"What another would do as well as you, do not do it. What another would have said as well as you, do not say it; written as well, do not write it. Be faithful to that which exists nowhere but in yourself, and there, make yourself indispensable." ---Andre Gide
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2006 :  06:29:39 AM  Show Profile
YES I also read it a while back, it was a nice story, its also a movie, so if you see the movie come up try and catch it, or rent it.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2006 :  4:44:35 PM  Show Profile
I read it as a "tween" and loved it. Some very adult information for me at the time! I've never seen the movie...
Sharon

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2006 :  5:46:45 PM  Show Profile
I've read it several times and recommend it to my students. Those who read it usually like it.

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

http://happymama58.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2006 :  4:52:00 PM  Show Profile
I read it in junior high and loved it! It was very inspiring. You have to love the girl's mom for being so resiliant and trying to make surviving seem like a game. What courage!

When we were young, there were moments of such perfectly crystallized happiness that we stood stock still and silently promised ourselves that we would remember them always. And we did. --Holly J. Burkhalter , "Four Midwestern Sisters' Christmas Book"

Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic A Tree Grows in Brooklyn Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page