Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 CAUTION!! Health Risk for Young Kids!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic CAUTION!! Health Risk for Young Kids! Next Topic  

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  01:06:07 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
They are so cute and handy- those small silicone hairbands for young kids. They are sooo cheap so you can feel okay if they break or you loose them.

Well after tonight you won't find them in our house! Nora found one- who knows where. And she put it around her wrist.

All night she complained of an owie, but we couldn't see what was wrong. I knew that she and Doug had played outside most of the day and as close as I looked- I couldn't see that silicon band around her wrist, so I just assumed she probably had prickly heat coming on or a mild sunburn.

She wasn't super whiney and with no outward issue, we just thought she was over heated and sent her to bed.

All night we have been battling her to stay in bed. Some nights she does this, but this seemed extra bad.

I woke up about an hour ago to Nora crying. I got up because she was calling for me. After a couple of attempts to get her to fall asleep- and she WAS trying- I asked if she wanted to take a bath.

Once I got her under the lights of the bathroom, I noticed her had was swollen and slightly discolored! OMG! PANIC! So I carefully stretched her wrist skin back and sure enough a silicon band was around her wrist and the skin had smooshed up around it, hiding it!

I was lucky that when I cut it off of her with my knife the I didn't knick her. We called a Mayo Clinic helpline that we have access to and since it appears that her circulation was not completely impaired we are going to monitor her for the next couple hours. If the swelling goes down we don't have to take her in but we also have to watch out for progressive circulation issues, blood clots and residual pain.

This was so horrific- I am so close to tears right now and I think the only reason I haven't broken down is that I still have massive amounts of adrenaline going through my veins.

Don't let this happen to your kids. Toddlers are too little to understand what can happen when they put things around their wrists. I am so thankful it looks like we dodged mishap on this one, but had it not been so hot tonight, we probably would have tried to make Nora stay in her room all night. Get rid of those horrible sillicon bands. Consider instead horse mane bands. They break easily enough, and you can get them in all the same pretty colors. That is what we are going to buy from now on.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com

Edited by - Alee on Jul 26 2009 05:40:01 AM

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  04:32:42 AM  Show Profile
Are those the silicone bracelets or some other silicone circles? I must be being very dense!

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  05:40:34 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
no you aren't dense- I was typing at 2 am for me! I meant hairbands! I edited it to say what I meant.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  05:44:54 AM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness Alee, so glad Nora is ok that is scary. I will be praying the swelling goes down soon. Keep us updated. Blessings,Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10
www.KKJD1.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  05:55:53 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Karen. Nora should be fine. Her dad is going to stay home today to help monitor her to make sure no blood clots or anything are forming. It was so scary to see her hand 2 times the size it should be. I just hope that the news gets out about these things. They only stretch so much and then they are very strong. They don't break easily.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Tanna
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Tanna
Fort Worth TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  08:16:21 AM  Show Profile
Alee,

I hope little Nora is much better soon. Poor thing. Poor Mommy too.

Tanna
Farmgirl #644
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1678 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1678 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  08:17:15 AM  Show Profile
Alee, You really must have be scared. I have a toddler grandaughter and will be telling my daughter about what happened to Nora. Since Monroe has some of those cute bands. I'm glad that Nora will be alright. My thoughts are with you.
Laurie

suburban countrygirl at heart
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  08:47:18 AM  Show Profile
I really feel out of the loop. I still don't have a clue what a cilicone band is. But I will alert my granddaughters. We have 3 great granddaughters and I'm sure the mommies know what they are. Thanks for the warning.

I am so glad that Nora is OK.

Belle
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  08:53:52 AM  Show Profile
I am so glad you found it, Alee. My goodness, I had no idea they could do that much in so little time. I hope she is ok today. What a good observant mother you are.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  09:55:17 AM  Show Profile
Good for Nora for being so persistent!! I'm glad she's okay.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

www.perfectlittlemiracle.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kmbrown
True Blue Farmgirl

459 Posts

Misty
Waynesboro Pennsylvania
USA
459 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  10:14:00 AM  Show Profile
Hey thanks for this warning. I'm glad Nora is ok. My baby girl is just now getting some hair so it's good to know what NOT to buy!!
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  10:37:38 AM  Show Profile
Are these just like rubber bands, but without the material on the outside?
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  4:38:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Roxy- Exactly! They are the replacement version for the cloth covered rubber bands. I am pretty sure they are made out of silicon or really strong plastic. They are just hair rubber bands for little kids and at Wal-Mart come in a 3 size combo pack. I believe ours were Goody brand. The smallest is the size of a pencil eraser before it is stretched the middle about as big around as my thumb and the largest about the size of a quarter.

Nora's hand is still a little swollen and she has a red line all the way around her wrist from the thing. It was sooo scary!

I think we are going to buy Horse mane rubber bands from now on. They have more give and stretch to them, are cheaper and you can get them in the cute colors too.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

jinia
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

jinia
mo
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  4:54:52 PM  Show Profile
I am glad Nora is doing better! Thanks for the warning
Go to Top of Page

Mikki
True Blue Farmgirl

1510 Posts

Mikki
Austin Indiana
USA
1510 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  8:09:06 PM  Show Profile
God bless your heart! I know you were scared to death... so glad Nora is doing better.

~~Blessings, Mikki Jo

"Courage is being scared to death... but saddling up anyway" ***John Wayne

http://main.acsevents.org/goto/iloveyoumom

http://burningmeadowsprings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

AlyssaMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

AlyssaMarie
Palouse Washington
USA
287 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  8:23:21 PM  Show Profile
So glad to hear Nora is doing better! How scary! Who would have thought something that looks that innocent. I will keep mine out of reach of the kids for sure. Thanks for sharing.

AlyssaMarie @ Link'd Hearts Ranch
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  8:25:18 PM  Show Profile
Oh My Goodness Alee:
Is Nora okay? Are you okay? Thank you for sharing that with us. Now I will tell my friends who I know their kids have these things, to be careful. I will share your story with them. Hugs to you and Nora.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  11:28:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
I'm so glad Nora is going to be okay Alee. You might want to alert the company that makes these about what happened. Sadly, products aren't required to be tested for safety before they are sold in Montana. At least according to a site I just found. http://articles.directorym.com/Dangerous_Baby_Products_Montana-r969605-Montana.html I still think it's worth reporting to the maker however.

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://fantasm01.imagekind.com/
http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  06:42:12 AM  Show Profile
Oh Gosh! I know the ones you mean...I bought some for my hair and didn't like them, but will make sure that Violet never sees them! Poor little Nora---I'm so glad that you figured it out without too much damage!!!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  07:20:31 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Thank goodness Nora is okay. Her hand is back to normal. No swelling and she uses it normally. I will probably write a letter to the company but I doubt much will be changed. They might put a warning on the box to not let young kids play with the bands and to not put it around anything but hair, but I knew that buying the bands. They are so tough I never in my wildest imagination thought that she would be able to get it over her hand like that!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  07:28:55 AM  Show Profile
So glad Nora is doing well. How are you and daddy doing?? Thank's for sharing that.

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  10:19:37 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
We are okay- it was just unspeakably horrifying in the moment and afterwards. I was terrified she was going to have long term damage.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Sage
True Blue Farmgirl

207 Posts

Pam
Worland Wyoming
USA
207 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  12:35:13 PM  Show Profile
We are so relieved to hear that Nora is ok. There is nothing as terrifying as a child being in danger. You should write the company and consumer Reports. Sage:)

Farmgirl sister #140
www.heritagedesigns.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic CAUTION!! Health Risk for Young Kids! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page