Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Charge card+Thrift store=Bad credit
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Charge card+Thrift store=Bad credit Next Topic  

aunt boby
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

toby
polo illinois
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2009 :  07:49:34 AM  Show Profile
Did anyone catch this on NBC nightly news last week? Apparently some credit card companies are stereo typing people that shop at thrift stores. They say the type of people that shop at these stores are more likely to be delinquet on credit card bills. Using your card at these stores can give you a bad credit score. Congress is suppose to be working on this practice. I almost fell of my chair when I heard this story. With the economy the way it is, people are getting penalized for trying to save a buck. Someone I know buys things second hand and sells then on her Ebay store. She will no longer use her card at thrift stores. What's this country coming to?

POOR IS THE MAN WHO CANNOT ENJOY THE SIMPLE THINGS IN LIFE- anonymous

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2009 :  07:57:47 AM  Show Profile
This country is going into a very scary place in my opinion. The sensible, responsible people don't have a chance if things don't stop the direction they are going. I don't care about a credit score, because I would rather live in tent than take out a loan. I know there are a lot of people who don't have the choices that I have right now and I feel for them. I am not raising a family for one and don't have to worry about the comfort and care of children full time. I think credit reporting co. and credit card co. are the axis of evil.
Go to Top of Page

Tidy Aprons
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Oney Farmgirl #638
Colorado
USA
99 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2009 :  08:09:21 AM  Show Profile
Ridiculous. Utterly ridiculous. Did I mention I think this is ridiculous?

~Oney~
"There's something a little holy in taking care of the places we inhabit, in summoning sheen. And there's a power in watching over our spaces, the rooms we move within, the sets where our life stories unfold." ~Lori Hall Steele
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2009 :  08:13:07 AM  Show Profile
That is just ridiculous! People shopping at the thrift are just as good or bad as any other!!

There used to be something like that here too. Not about credit cards and credit score. But people who lived in certain parts of a certain town were not allowed to order from a clothing co. They would not be delivered to that address. That is so stupid ImO! What about if someday those rules would be applied to people wearing glasses, or people with red hair. What if they would have a bad name just because.... I would be in trouble, lol, I am wearing glasses and have red hair

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

Forrester Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

703 Posts

Ann
Belmont MI
USA
703 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2009 :  08:15:58 AM  Show Profile
Isn't it interesting the judgments that are made? Thrift store shopping = irresponsible person VS Thrift shore shopping = wise spender. The truth is, our country is dependent on consumerism and credit. It is a sad state of affairs. I'd be more concerned about the person who is always using their credit card at the mall.

Ann
Forrester Farm
www.forresterfarm.com
www.forresterfarm.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Tidy Aprons
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Oney Farmgirl #638
Colorado
USA
99 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  07:04:38 AM  Show Profile
Amen Ann!

~Oney~
"There's something a little holy in taking care of the places we inhabit, in summoning sheen. And there's a power in watching over our spaces, the rooms we move within, the sets where our life stories unfold." ~Lori Hall Steele
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  07:17:45 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wow! That is flabbergasting to say the least. I am very glad I don't have credit cards. I hope to not ever get one again!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  07:26:19 AM  Show Profile
They are judging the same for groceries and gasoline (which is ODD, since so many food chains and gas stations have their own cards!). Now, having said that, I do think it's odd to use a credit card at a thrift store because things are so inexpensive. I wouldn't charge $10.00, would you? Now, if I forgot all my cash, and checks and they accepted a credit card and I couldn't live without my $10.00 thrift items, maybe....but typically, no.

I do, however, find it frustrating that your purchases are even EVIDENT to anyone EXCEPT the credit card companies!!?? I have one card that I use for travel...I guess that's an acceptable use? WHO ASKED THEM?????

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Amy Warwick
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

Amy
Oakesdale WA
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  07:31:51 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for this post. I love going to the thrift store and since I am self employed I have to keep meticulous accounts of my spending. They don't take checks at the thrift stores around here, so I always use my debit/credit card. I'm not sure if they rate debit the same way, but I have to use something other than cash in order to keep easier track of my spending. I have always loved supporting the thrift stores by donating items and buying from other items from them. With all of the waste in this country I cannot see buying new. I tell my kids its recycling! They love it too.

Thanks again!

For information on SUMMER SNOW please visit www.amywarwick.com

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it ~Aristotle
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  07:34:41 AM  Show Profile
Thats what I use. It's a depit card so you need a pin # to use it and it comes right out of my checkbook the same day. So I always have the balance right. The thrift store likes them as they don't have to deal with money and it's sometimes quicker.

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  07:43:14 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
This is just another way to scare people into going into debt for material goods they don't need. The people who shop thrift shops are probably the one's who are responsible and are the hardworkers who watch their pennies, contribute to the local economy and support the local people. Also, it is an environmentally sound choice and reduces the stress on all resources. My thrift store only takes cash but I think basing truthsworthiness and ability to pay on where someone is shops in a type of profiling. I would love them to take that up with my old neighbor in CT, who dumpster dived and shopped thrift and retired a multi-millionaire.

Heather

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  07:46:53 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Oh..I also wanted to say, the CC companies have lost a lot of money this year, with people being more frugal and aware. Just like Bank Of America LOWERING my cc limit because I haven't used it and screwing up my credit card score because they are mad because I am not using it. It is all about control and making money I darn refuse to be penalized for doing the RIGHT thing, whether paying down my cc's or shopping thrift.

Heather

Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  07:49:49 AM  Show Profile
Hey!!! they can't talk about ME that way. I always pay cash, but I see all kinds of people when I'm in there and they don't look any different then the people at the grocery store.

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

1930sgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Joyce
Alberta
Canada
233 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  08:26:43 AM  Show Profile
What? Unbelievable!!

What will the credit card companies come up with next? Anything...to get more money out of people. UGH! Wouldn't you think the huge interest rates they charge would be enough!

Joyce
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  09:56:20 AM  Show Profile
It amazes me that if you want, the C.C. Co. can send you a detailed list of your spendings not to mention share your info to/w companies of interest...ex: if you purchase a lot of your travele expense via a C.C.,,,shortly you will be receiving tons of travele/hotel type junk mail.....
The C.C. Co & banks say they do not share your info except to their own subsidraries....well guess what! they have tons of subsideraries!
I usually pay cash or Debit at the local thrifts but how dare they pigeon-whole a consumer because of where s/he shops!
Ann~Forrester Farm...I like your comment....

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
"I've never met a sewing machine I didn't like!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

jinia
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

jinia
mo
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  2:35:49 PM  Show Profile
I was just talking to my husband about using cash for everything except bills that we have to mail after a recent bank mixup. I kindof hate that the bank can see every little purchase I make and apparently others can as well. Thanks for this post!
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  4:29:33 PM  Show Profile
Surely you jest? That's ridiculous!!!

Will these credit corporations stoop any lower. Many hard working, honest people shop at thirft stores, not only is it economical but it's very stewardship minded to reuse.

I think these corporations are getting nervous that more and more people are opting for a more frugal lifestyle instead of the "put it on credit and then forget it" mentality.

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  4:39:38 PM  Show Profile
Hmm, this has me rather concerned. I just returned something that didn't fit at a mall store and I'd paid for it with a debit card (I have two debit cards). I couldn't remember which debit card I'd used, so I asked the cashier, and she VERY LOUDLY rattled off the last four digits of my debit card. I almost said something to her but she seemed so oblivious that I doubt it would have done any good. But I left there growling to myself and swearing never to shop at a mall again. On another occasion, at a grocery store, the cashier left a slip with the last four digits of my debit card laying on the belt, for the next person to see. I said something to her about it, and she nonchalantly replied that it didn't matter, cause it was only the last four numbers. Well, it DOES matter, and I was ticked off and told her if she ever did that again, I would talk to her manager. You have to be really careful even if you use a debit instead of a credit card. It's almost easier just to pay cash for everything. It really is a scary world--to some person in a city far, far away, I'm just a credit score.

"Dog is my co-pilot"

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  5:25:03 PM  Show Profile
Yep, also I heard that if you retread your tires, instead of buying new ones. There was something else but I can't remember it.

I only have a debit card or use cash. I don't even write checks. I like living below the radar. :-)

Winona ;-)

To read funny stories about my cooking 'skills', please visit http://lostadventuresincooking.blogspot.com/

For uber-opinionated, pleasurable horse related reading, please visit http://horseinfoperson.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  5:31:27 PM  Show Profile
We should all cut our credit cards. Maybe keep one for emergencies. Really.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  07:08:41 AM  Show Profile
A local chain grocery store near here has this "card" you have to use to be able to get sale items at sale prices. When you swipe your card, it let's this store know everything you buy and what time of day you do your shopping. So, hypothetically, if I buy a gallon of wine a week, does this send out a red flag that I may be a drunk? I really don't want people knowing my spending habits, but this store has an excellent selection of quality food at great prices. So there is the dilema.

Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  08:34:57 AM  Show Profile
I heard about this, and it's not only the thrift stores, but Walmarts etc that can lower your score...
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Charge card+Thrift store=Bad credit Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page