Shery Jespersen
True Blue Farmgirl

115 Posts

Shery
Upton Wyoming
USA
115 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  07:38:04 AM  Show Profile
Epiphany is an incredible word about something incredible occuring in the human spirit. "A sudden manifestation of the essence or meaning of something, the comprehension or perception of reality by means of a sudden intuitive realization." Oh, I am So There, and I am so not alone!

A friend told me about Mary Jane's Farm recently. She said I HAD to 'get into the MJF thing' because she thought of me when she first picked up a magazine. She was right on. I don't relate to just a few MJF concepts and ideals, I live it in many ways. Upon opening up my friend's books and magazines, I felt like I had finally come home after having been on walkabout for several dry years.

I was deeply involved in the craft publishing business in the 80s-90s, having freelance designed for Better Homes & Gardens, other magazine and book publishers, and I self published also. It was a time when 'Country' was ten kinds of HOT. Mary Emmerling was a big influence in decor. I still have and love her books. I lived in Ohio at the time, a hot bed for country culture. I moved back west and to my family roots in ranching. I happily got lost in the isolated lifestyle, having gotten burned out creatively and I was freshly divorced. Admittedly, I needed rest and recovery.

In the meantime, the crafting world was in flux. Trends come & go. Martha was big but there was still something missing (in my opinion). Shabby Chic came on the scene, as did other talented folk offering up their talents to hungry souls. But, the missing ingredient in my mind was something that would bring it all together in a healthy lifestyle...and spiritually full of nourishment also. Special edition magazines died on the vine, not a lot of new ideas blossoming. There was a very real shift afoot...but it was yet to happen. My own creative energy was on the rebound, but an outlet for what I do was yet to make itself obvious and available. I did get involved in gemstone jewelry (who didn't?) and did very well, but publishing is my calling - specifically design and concept think-tank work. This is where the good Lord once again stepped into to guide me on the right path. Mary Jane's Farm is just where I have been hankering to hang out personally and professionally. It is a healthy, art appreciative, kind world. All the things I've loved over the years are here in the here & now again...Tasha Tudor, Mary Emmerling, Martha Stewart...Gardening, people with names and homes fully committed to successful small businesses. Creativity is the home of all great ideas whether it is in science or art. The blending of both is what I see in Mary Jane's Farm. It to me is full circle thinking made of people holding hands making that circle. I can't fully express the epiphany I'm experiencing. Oh, to take my walkin' shoes off and know I am finally home. Shery Jespersen, Reata Rose Ranch

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  08:36:53 AM  Show Profile
Shery,

From one Wyoming girl to another, I welcome you to MJF Farmgirl Connection and thank you for sharing your epiphany with us. At one time or another, I think we have all had the same kinds of thoughts. In a world full of business, corruption, and evil forces, it is easy to get wrapped up in the time consuming busy-ness of it all. MJF gives me a place to go where I can just breathe. It may be a virtual breath that I am taking, but at least I am taking one.

My connections on MJF have quite literally saved my life. I work a very stressful job, putting in 12 - 15 hours per day. There have been days when I have thought about just staying in bed and not getting up...ever. Then a package will arrive in the mail.....from a farmgirl. A random act of kindness that saved me that day and weeks after. I will make a barter and find extra in the package when it comes. I will send out a postcard to a sick farmgirl and feel like I am doing something to help the world heal. I will get invited to a chapter meeting, even though I have been unable to make it to any of them yet. When passing though a town where a farmgirl lives, I have been invited to stay at their home.

Wyoming is, by nature, an isolated place. We like it that way. :o} MJF gives us a way to be "connected" with others with the same core values and still maintain our isolation. I hope that you enjoy it here and please let me know if you are ever coming through Evanston. You can stay at my house!!!

Sherone

http://tinytaylorranch.etsy.com
http://taylorscountrystore.blogspot.com/
http://www.youravon.com/sheronetaylor
Go to Top of Page

traceyg
True Blue Farmgirl

124 Posts

Tracey
Grosse Ile Michigan
USA
124 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  10:45:36 AM  Show Profile
This is what I LOVE about MJFarmgirls!!! We really are Sisters!!!
Welcome Shery! Big (((Farmgirl Hugs))) to you both!!

Tracey
Farmgirl #114

Life is sweet ... Bee happy!
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  11:54:11 AM  Show Profile
Well Sisters,
You've hit the nail on the head. I can relate to all that you have written plus....
I can now engage in the baking, canning, cooking, quilting, ETc. and everyone here understands. Nobody here asks why I would want to do the above when I can just buy it already done.
We were in Amish country in Ohio this past week and it was such a breath of fresh air in so many ways. Met some lovely ladies who were most interested in answering our questions about Amish life and were surprised that we are interested in many of the same simple pursuits that they have been doing for generations.
I can't say how strongly I feel that we Farmgirls are really onto something. So much more than we origanally anticipated when we signed up
Yes,,,, Mary Jane's Farm is truly a lifesave
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.stitchingby2sisters.etsy.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

countrygrace
True Blue Farmgirl

1181 Posts

Grace
Salkum WA
USA
1181 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2009 :  07:28:45 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Sisters,
This a wonderful place, it connects so many of us from all around this great planet.
Great to find so many ladies who have the same passions & life style. I love it here.
I am so grateful to my grandparents who shared the simplistic & practical way of life with me. Farm & Country is part of my heritage. I love being a farm girl!!!! Welcome Shery
Hugs,
Grace

"From Our Heart With Our Hands"

“I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all.” - Laura Ingalls Wilder

http://home.earthlink.net/~daveandgrace/
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2009 :  11:48:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
Don't you ladies think that perhaps some of what we feel has to do with the feminist movement that sort of "robbed" some of the homier aspects of a woman's life. Many of the womanly arts died out or nearly so over those decades and I think Mary Jane's has brought about a reawakening of those things which truly make us women and sisters. We've been craving this for years and it took her to help us find our way again. Some of the other women like Mary Emmerling were getting close but never quite got the whole picture. As much as I at times enjoy watching Martha Stewart she never comes close. She's just not a warm and down home kind of person. Only Mary Jane Butters could bring it all together.

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://fantasm01.imagekind.com/
http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

BeckySue
True Blue Farmgirl

63 Posts

BeckySue
Arizona
USA
63 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2009 :  09:52:58 AM  Show Profile
Hi Shery
Hi all you Sisters!

Wonderful to meet you.
I am getting back to
my "flower~child" roots
and lovin' it.

MaryJane is so inspirational!
You are too.

BeckySue

You are
Welcome
to visit
My Serenity Garden
Go to Top of Page

GrammyGoose
True Blue Farmgirl

163 Posts

Sue
Liverpool PA
USA
163 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2009 :  6:58:39 PM  Show Profile
This feels like the place that Dorothy was talking about when she said "There's no place like home!" I am very grateful to have found this place and all of you. Thank you for the generosity of sharing your life experiences, wisdom and sisterhood.

Sue
Farmgirl #656

"This is the day that God made, let us drink juice and enjoy it!" - Reece Stutts, age 3
Go to Top of Page
  Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Epiphany, mine Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page