Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 heading for BEREA, KY this mornin' ...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic heading for BEREA, KY this mornin' ... Next Topic  

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2006 :  08:17:52 AM  Show Profile
good mornin' farmgirls .. i woke up this sunny kentucky morning ... with a hankerin' to head to eastern kentucky .. to BEREA, Kentucky ... (google it) .. it's kentucky's 'artisan' town! sooooooo many wonderful artists and a smattering of great antiques shoppes (where, of course, i will spend the majority of my time .. and money)! might spend a couple nights roaming the area .. lordy! i 'might' even 'winter camp' in the back of the van!

it worries hank when i do that .. he always is concerned that i might end up getting 'broken into' in the middle of the night!

the windows are tinted dark .. and i always sleep with my 'car clicker' with the Alarm Blaster at hand in case i ever hear or see anyone approaching my van after midnight! (i do wonder sometimes that i might hit the 'open door' button in my haste .. rather than the alarm .. and 'invite' someone in!

unless i'm out in the 'booonies' ... I do 'try' to camp out within a driving distance of an all night 'wal-mart' in case i have the necessity of a little 'middle of the night PEE'!! then again .. it might be tooooooo frizzin' to camp out and i might just find me a nice little hotel somewhere. don't want to B&B it this time .. cuz' i want all those extra pennies for 'treasures' .. and when i go to a B&B .. i like to spend LOTS of time at the B&B .. THIS is a SHOPPIN' T'IL I'M DROPPIN' kinda trip!

will take some 'hand-sewin' along .. and a 'good book' .. (although, i do manage to always find good books on these trips!)

Ohhhh .. right now .. i'm reading a fantastic olde book about John Brown's raid on Harper's Ferry .. in 1859 .. which many believe to be the true beginning of the Civil War in America! What a fascinating man!

(you know something interesting i found out about that man of mine ... after all these years .. and i didn't know this!! .. when i picked up this book to read it .. i noticed he had signed and dated it and written 'cabin creek farm, kentucky' on the first page.

i asked him 'how's come'? he said .. (and what a GREAT idea!!!) "i always sign and date the books i've read .. and i write where i was when i read it' ...

i'm gonna' do that from now on .. gives a little bit of our own 'personal history' to the book! i always love finding 'inscriptions' in olde books that i buy .. so why not continue that tradition myself!)

i'll take my camera along for some pictures to post when i return and, of course, will regale you all with my adventures along the way.

wish you were here to run off with me for this fun time! if you ever want to do a 'gurlfrenz-only-no-menfolks-allowed-run-away-weekend' .. jus' give me a call! These trips are good for our female souls and the men in our lives need a little 'hanging out with the buddies' time too from time to time, i believe!

This philosophy sure has kept honey hunk and me happy for the 30 years we've been together!

well, chilluns .. i'll be thinkin' of you .. have lotsa' fun over the next few days .. and i'll be hollerin' over the fence at you all in a couple days time! HUGS!

p.s. if you're on my 'True Friends' lists .. you'll be getting this via e-mail .. along with my CELL PHONE number .. in case you might be near Berea, KY in the next coupla' days. xoxo, frannie

True Friends, Frannie

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2006 :  08:47:14 AM  Show Profile
That sounds like a loverly time - enjoy yourself, have FUN and be safe!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2006 :  11:52:21 AM  Show Profile
I love those girl week ends, and its been a while since Ive been on one. I think its about time to have one. We always have a grand time with laughing and giggling.
This grey washington weather is really starting to get to me.getting to me, heck its already gotten to me. im feeling that same grey color.
Have a great time Frannie
shirley
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2006 :  12:07:50 PM  Show Profile
girls
Wouldn't it be great if we all lived closer, think of all the trouble we could get into !!
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

SmallTownGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

117 Posts

Rose

USA
117 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2006 :  12:31:46 PM  Show Profile
Oh what fun, have a blast and spend too much Frannie, hugs Rose

Remember what you now have was once among the things only hoped for.
Go to Top of Page

farmgrlchick
True Blue Farmgirl

439 Posts

Theresa
Columbus Montana
USA
439 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2006 :  4:18:04 PM  Show Profile
I just had a picture in my head of ' how many farmgirls can squeeze into frannie's van' you know like those vw pictures from the 50's..... Boy I am sure livin through you Frannie, can't wait to hear about your trip.

Farmgirl Blessings,
Theresa
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2006 :  8:57:52 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like a lovely time Frannie! Hope you find new places to explore & look up olf "friends" too! I loves me a good road trip with my best girls! Living in a houseful of men it saves my girly soul to get out & do gal thangs!
LOVE the idea of signing & dating the books we read! It's going to be my new tradition. Something so appealing about seeing who all's read the books floatin'around!
Look forward to hearing of you latest travel adventures! Blessings!
Rhonda

...and I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance, even if I'm the only one!
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2006 :  3:09:02 PM  Show Profile
HONNNN-EEEEEEEZZZZZZ! I'M HOOOOOOME! and what a marvy fab time i did have ... will write lots and post some pics soon .. still unpacking the van! i did end up NOT sleeping in the van .. as i would have had to curl up inside a cuboard and sleep on a shelf! got some reeeeeeeel unusual .. and wunnerful stuff (will take some pics to post) ... got to some of the 'studios' a woodworker, potter and 'the weaving shop' at Berea. and OF COURSE .. i did some serious antiquing .. but most of my treasures were found at my favorite antiques mall right in berea .. stopped at lots more .. but mostly got BOOKS, BOOKS, and more BOOKS! .. 'fabric finding was 'slim pickins' .. oh will tell lots more soon .. have to finish unpacking the van and spend a little time with 'ze mon' in my life .. and hafta' peek at all those postings you kids made whilst i wuz away! it's good to be home sweet home! xo

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

SmallTownGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

117 Posts

Rose

USA
117 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2006 :  8:45:16 PM  Show Profile
Welcome home Frannie!

Remember what you now have was once among the things only hoped for.
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2006 :  09:40:32 AM  Show Profile
thought i'd post some of my 'adventures' here on the forum .. if ya' wanna' see all the pictures .. just e-mail me and ask to be on my Kentucky Ramblings list. xo, frannie

(PHOTO)

NO-TELL MOTEL

For those of you who feared i might sleep in my van whilst on my trip to Berea .. i just wanted to put your mind at ease ... i opted to stay at the "No-Tell Motel" ... (pictured above) ... instead! Was only $6.95 a night!
i did have to roam to a 'field' for potty breaks .. but the up-side to this little place is that there was FRESH EGGS for breakfast .. soon's i caught the hen and squeezed it outta' her and fried it on the hood of an olde rusty truck!

oh i do know how to travel in style!

i headed outta' town towards berea, kentucky about noon-ish .. stopping at every little shoppe i could find on and off the 'beaten path'. mostly just found 'books' at first .. but ah doooo luvs books!!!
got to berea about supper-time and treated myself to 'fried catfish' with all the fixins ..
at a Cracker Barrel restaurant!

i so enjoy the winter-time kentucky landscape .. trees are still barren of leaves .. so you get a wider picture of what is through the tree limbs and expansive views of untilled fields.
farmhouses and barns look stark and strong in the winter-light.
you see the 'bones' of an area at this time of year.

friday morning and ... i'm up with the roosters (LITERALLY)!!!
first stop .. the BEREA visitor's center and some artisans shoppes .. met some really nice people at these shops .. mostly they are 'students' who work for berea college as part of their tuition. i thought berea was an 'artisans' college only .. but it isn't .. i met a woman who is in her late-60's who is taking some sort of women's studies there! hmmmm .. by that age, i'd think we knew about all there was to know about ourselves! (i truly do admire women who never stop learning though!)

got to see a woodworker, potter and weavers doin' their thang!
met another woman who is from eastern kentucky and we spent about an hour or more just swapping stories. she told me all about her family and their kentucky roots.
oh gurlfrenz, it is so very important to write down your family stories!!!

WELL! i spent a good part of the day at my most favorite antiques mall in berea (honestly don't even know the name of it .. but i can find it blindfolded!) let me know someday when you wanna' roam over there with me! ... of course, if you love primitives ... i'm gonna' lock you in the car until "I" have made a big pile of everything i love at the counter of the store!

got two cupboards .. and some other wonderfuls!
will take pics of the cupboards when we get them outta' the back of the van.

got an olde post card rack from a general store ... picture comin' soon!

PHOTO

and just look at this wonderful 'glove holder' display from a mercantile shoppe of long ago!

PHOTO

and oh my goodness .. isn't this a great (and very unusual) wool winder!
least-ways that's what the tag said it was .. that's my story and i'm stickin' to it!
(never know when i might want to wind some wool!)

got a fun little 'baccker stick' thingie too .. picture comin' soon!

found lots of olde kitchen tinware .. those are already hung up in my kitchen!

found a tad of old fabric' .. nothing real exciting .. but i always love finding prim vintage fabric bits and bobs

BOOKS .. BOOKS .. BOOKS
i swear .. i think i bought about 25 or 30!
there is a great little used bookshop right up the street from my fav antiques shoppe!

PHOTO

couldn't resist this olde-timey shoe .. might turn it into a 'pin-cushion make-do' when i find the PERFECT fabric for the pin-cushion!

and i'm sure i'm forgetting some treasures that i have already tucked into little spots here in the cabins!

-------------------------------------------

After heading up the road from Berea .. i got so lost .. i coulda' made it to Michigan for all i knew!
Wasn't even real sure where i wanted to head for .. but i travelled North .. found myself in Lexington .. and if ya'll think all Kentucky towns are the 'blink your eyes and you're through it' kind of towns ... well, i'm here to tell you .. i rode around that HUGE city about 14 times .. finally ending up at a very large shopping mall.

I've always been one of those 'pollyanna fatalists' ..
(which by the way .. is a GREAT way to RATIONALIZE your screw-ups in life!!!)
Sooooooooo .. as any red-blooded woman would do when they find themselves in a shopping center ..
we go SHOPPING!!!!!!!!

Wandered to the 'make-up' section in a department store and spent about a ba-jillion dollars in hair and beauty products! I swear ... i better damn-well look 30 years younger come tomorrow morning!

At the stroke of 9:00 p.m., i left the mall as they were turning all the lights out and locking the doors on me .. and STILL i had absolutely NO IDEA of where i was heading!

Headed north-west (i think!) got to the outskirts of the teensy town of Versailles .. NO hotels anywhere near there that i could find! So ... on toward Danville (i think) .. oh lordy! i don't even know where i did end up .. still no hotels .. it was about midnight at this point ... so i figgered it was either crawl into the back of the van and curl up on a shelf of one of the cabinets i bought .. or head home!

In my travels .. i found myself on the outskirts of Harrodsburg .. oh i do love that area (Shaker Village is located near there .. and there is a most magnificent log cabin FORT there .. as Harrodsburg was Kentucky's very FIRST settled town!

Had to plop down about $75. for a bed .. but at that point, i didn't care if it was $175!!!

Saturday morning .. i bounced outta' bed .. and headed to town. The FORT was closed for the season until NEXT WEEKEND!!!!
(that pollyanna voice in me told me i would just have more time for antiquing and maybe a trip to shakertown!)

i did visit the wonderful olde graveyard at Fort Harrod though .. and took some photos. They are on a separate disk .. so i will post pictures soon!
This truly is 'holy ground'.

This is a magnificent OSAGE ORANGE tree that grows by the Fort:

SEVERAL PHOTOS

i picked up a few of the 'chips' of bark that were lying on the ground around this venerable olde tree .. that chip you see above .. will become 'angel wings' on a dolly i will make as a memory of my fun trip.

well ya-ya's .. that's a little of my adventure through some of our beautiful kentucky towns ... will post those other pictures soon.

i hope you can join me next time!

ohh .. and for three bucks .. i just had to have this sign that sez it all!

LIFE JUST DOESN'T GET MUCH BETTER THAN THIS!

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2006 :  1:56:08 PM  Show Profile
So Frannie what books did you get on your trip? Is that what you have been doing today, playing with all your new toys and honey hunk hank?
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2006 :  11:37:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
I THINK SHE'S GONNA HAVE TO BUILD ANOTHER CABIN...TO HOLD THE BOOTY!
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2006 :  04:16:30 AM  Show Profile
Frannie
Got an idea for that glove, postcard holder you got on your trip. put it outside and let some vines have there way with it. Maybe you could become a Mrs. scissor hands, and trim it into who knows what.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2006 :  07:19:06 AM  Show Profile
hey darlin' .. i paid waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay tooooooooooooo many pennies to put those little treasures in the yard to get rusty. actually, i'm going to display 'vintage' gloves on the glove rack (in the shoppe .. they don't too much 'go' in these cabins .. but come winter-time .. it will become a 'winter glove rack' by the door!

the post card holder is wunnerful too .. hope to get it outta' the car today and post some pictures. i have lots of olde postcards .. would be fun to change them 'with the season'. (now all i have to do is FIND them somewhere out in the 'schoolhouse' among zillions of packed boxes!

xo

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2006 :  10:39:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
What exactly is a "No-tell Motel", Frannie? Sounds slightly wicked!!

P.S.Did the photos not come through for everyone or just me?
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2006 :  07:35:50 AM  Show Profile
NO-TELL! zackly as it sounds! i didn't post the photos here .. sent them via e-mail to the gurlz on my Kentucky Ramblings and Treasure Seekers list .. if ya' wanna' be on one of those lists .. jus' e-mail me with your e-mail address in the body of the e-mail!

xo

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2006 :  12:23:08 PM  Show Profile
What a great adventure, Frannie! You have a knack for finding the greatest things/places/experiences - thanks for sharing them with us...

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2006 :  12:53:05 PM  Show Profile
YES Frannie, look forward to seeing all your finds and hear about your travels. makes me THINK, that i might be normal after all for all my buying and saleing and hunting for something and not always knowing what, but usually finding something that suits my fancy.so keep posting, you have a lot of fans!!
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic heading for BEREA, KY this mornin' ... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page