Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up
 Post Card Request - Picture Added
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up: Previous Topic Post Card Request - Picture Added Next Topic
Page: of 2

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  09:21:20 AM  Show Profile
The 16 yr old daughter of one of our small community Mom's has become very ill. If any of you are so inclined, it would be so nice for Delaney to receive a postcard from where you live. We are all praying for her.

Here is a note from her Mom.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks to everyone for your emails, and notes of well wishes – it is much appreciated. For everyone who has offered a helping hand – I would like to take you up on your offer:

Delaney loves mail – the old fashioned kind, you remember – the kind delivered by Canada Post?? As she can’t have flowers or balloons in her room, I was thinking if you were able to send her a quick letter or note, picture or sticker – she would have tones of fun with that, and it would brighten her day.

You can mail her at:

BC CHILDREN’S HOSPITAL
ONCOLOGY – DELANEY DUNLOP 3B RM 12
4480 OAK STRET
VANCOUVER, BC V8H 3V4

She is keeping strong and her spirits are up. She’s definitely a trooper!
~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks so much everyone.

Di on VI
Farmgirl Sister #73

Edited by - DaisyFarm on Aug 11 2009 11:30:09 PM

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2701 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2701 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  09:47:01 AM  Show Profile
I would love to send her something. Is there anything else we can send besides a note or a card? Something small that she might like? Please let me know. Hopefully I can send something out in the next few days.

Farmgirl #170

Since you get more joy out of giving joy to others, you should put a good deal of thought into the happiness that you are able to give...Eleanor Roosevelt

http://marcysworldofcreativity.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  10:22:07 AM  Show Profile
You are so sweet Marcy and we are so grateful. With the hassle of customs and the expense of postage, I had thought a postcard might be more do-able, but I'm sure she would just be pleased to receive anything that would brighten her days that are full of tests and biopsies.
This will come as a surprise to her and she's going to wonder why she's getting mail from so far away. :)
Thank you so much.
Di

ps If anyone else collects postcards, just let me know. I would be more than happy to send you one from Vancouver Island.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  10:23:50 AM  Show Profile
Daisy, I would love to! She's 16? I'd be glad to send her a post card from the Bluegrass!!! What a beautiful idea!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  10:38:58 AM  Show Profile
Hi Jonni - yes, she's 16 and will be 17 on August 4th. I'm sure this mail will come as surprises and be intriguing and keep her guessing. Something to help her look forward to each day is what I'm kind of hoping for. Thanks so much!
Di
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  11:23:30 AM  Show Profile
This is a wonderful idea! I will be putting something in the mail for her tomorrow.

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  11:50:11 AM  Show Profile
Anyone know about how much postage to put on a post card going to Canada??

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  12:11:43 PM  Show Profile
According to the US Postal Service website, the cost is .75 for a postcard to Canada.
Thank you ever so much Sarah and Nancy.
Farmgirls certainly are the best of the best.
Di
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  12:18:02 PM  Show Profile
Hi Diane, I'll send something that way.
Post to Canada just went up to $.88 They changed it so a postcard costs the same as a regular 1oz. letter. :)

hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

"You are my strength when I am weak. You are the treasure that I seek. You are my all in all. Seeking You as a precious jewel; Lord, to give up I'd be a fool. You are my all in all."

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  12:19:16 PM  Show Profile
Thanks girls

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

2320 Posts

Julie
Medina ND
USA
2320 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  2:07:10 PM  Show Profile
Hi Diane, Warm fuzzies and big hugs are on the way along with many prayers for Delaney and her family.

With the new day comes new strength and new thoughts.
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  2:35:57 PM  Show Profile
I will also try and get her a card in the mail tomorrow. She and her family are in my prayers. Blessings,Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10
www.KKJD1.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  10:21:53 PM  Show Profile
Diane, I will put a card in the mail today. thanks for sharing this with us and allowing us to do something for Delaney.
Corinne

Sister # 101
'Heaven on Earth' is a choice you must make, not a place you must find.
Dr. Wayne Dyer
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  06:40:12 AM  Show Profile
Diane, thanks for letting us know. Post cards and healing thoughts on the way. MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  11:17:26 PM  Show Profile
From the heart, I thank you all so much. They got some dreaded bad news today and Delaney will begin chemo immediately. Keep her in your prayers.
You are all so fantastic and good kharma should surround you all.
Di xo
Go to Top of Page

britchickny
True Blue Farmgirl

1048 Posts

Angie
Port Orange Florida
1048 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  03:22:48 AM  Show Profile
I'm going back to England next week to visit my family so I will send here a card from the UK.

ANGIE
"Mercy, peace and love be yours in abundance" JUDE 1:2

http://www.pinkroomponderings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  03:58:53 AM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
A birthday card will be going out in the mail today to Delaney. There is something for the sewers out there that Delaney might like or could use in the future. Di will probably know for sure. My mom has cancer and when she first started chemo and her hair was falling out my brother and SIL got her several doo rags to wear. She was tickled because they're so "hip". It made the whole hair loss a lot less tragic for her. She had special occasion doo rags for 4th of July and coming into the fall and holiday season Delaney might enjoy autumn leaves, Halloween, Christmas doo rags. I found a site with a free pattern. http://fosteringlove.tripod.com/id12.html I'm not sure how good this explanation and images are but I bet some of the ladies here who know their way around a sewing machine could figure it out. My mom got a wig too. The hospital provided it but she complained it itched and she really loved her doo rags :)

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://fantasm01.imagekind.com/
http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  06:12:26 AM  Show Profile
They are in my prayers and I am so glad Cheryl gave me a reminder of Delaney's b-day I will get the card ready this morning. Please keep us up to date when you can on how she is responding to the chemo. My prayers are with her! Blessings,Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10
www.KKJD1.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  10:32:34 AM  Show Profile
An update...Delaney started her chemo Saturday morning. So far so good other than the expected nausea. Here is her Mom's update.

I guess its official now, she is not calling this cancer but rather "Ted Instead".
a) Ted has a name: Rhabdomyosarcoma (a muscle and soft tissue cancer)
b) Ted has not metastasized - this is good
c) Ted is a very rare cancer – this is not good
d) Ted is contained in her abdomen area and looks to be in the connective tissues – this is good and not good
e) Bone Marrow – preliminary is clear – this is good
f) PET Scan – showed no travel – this is very good
g) This is a very aggressive type of cancer – this is bad
h) Chemo – two days on, week off, five days on, week off, etc etc – for three rotations
i) She can leave the hospital when her stomach stops draining – this is great!
k) The draining may take three weeks – this is not so good
l) There looks to be a tumor near her diaphragm, which started this whole mess

Delaney is doing well, all things considered. She’s not too impressed with losing her hair and missing out her senior year at school. She will be on chemo the better part of a year it looks like, with radiation and surgery after this first ‘round’ of chemo – after that who knows, have to see where it’s at. The doctor is not willing to give us any prognosis at this point in time.

Please keep this sweetie in your prayers.
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  11:45:05 AM  Show Profile
She is so in my prayers. MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  11:52:04 AM  Show Profile
Same with me, Marybeth. This must be beyond challenging for her and her mother. I've got my postcard ready!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  12:20:28 PM  Show Profile
Can we send her little things? Like a hankie or a book?

This is probably a stupid question, but does she have to stay in the hospital for a whole year? Surely not. How long is her current projected stay in the hospital?

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  1:07:18 PM  Show Profile
Very challenging for her Mom as she is a single mom of five. She is a hardworker and was working three jobs when Delaney got sick. It will be an exhausting year as they live here on the island and will have to take the ferry over to Vancouver for Delaney's procedures.
She won't have to be in hospital for the entire year, likely only for her chemo treatments and then while she has the surgery(s). Right now it looks like she will be there for a minimum of a couple more weeks and then depending on when they opt to do her first surgery.
I'm sure she would be pleased to receive anything Sarah that would brighten the long days and weeks ahead of her. Thank you so much for thinking of her.
Di
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  1:19:10 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the updates, Diane! Delaney has been in my prayers, now I can know how to pray more specifically. You are right, she sure must be a trooper.
I sent out a letter, but will send another shortly.
hugs

Jessie

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

barnagainkristin
True Blue Farmgirl

465 Posts

Kristin
Utah
USA
465 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  10:30:44 PM  Show Profile
Would love to send something to Delaney. I will try to get it off soon. Please let us know when she goes home and the address changes. Hope things are going well.
I have a nephew who was diagnosed with cancer just before his 16th birthday. We just celebrated 15 years cancer free. He met his cute wife in high school and she took him to a girls choice dance when he had no hair. The doctors talked to them before they married several years later that they might not be able to have children. They now have 3 darling children and are living happily ever after. I pray that things will go this well for Delaney!

barnagainkristin
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2009 :  01:48:42 AM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
Ty for the update Diane and will continue to keep Delaney in my prayers. This must be terribly worrisome for the whole family and her poor mother must be exhausted trying to keep up with 5 children, 3 jobs and cope with Delaney's illness too. Are there any programs there she can tap into for some financial assistance so she can maybe drop a job and be with Delaney more?

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://fantasm01.imagekind.com/
http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up: Previous Topic Post Card Request - Picture Added Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page