Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up
 Decision Time UPDATED
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up: Previous Topic Decision Time UPDATED Next Topic  

Tanna
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Tanna
Fort Worth TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  4:16:10 PM  Show Profile
Hi all,

I have a decision to make and it is tougher than I thought. My youngest, Liam, has a heart condition.

When he was 2 weeks old at his well-child check up I was told to take him to the ER as his heart was beating 250 bpm. We discovered he has AVNRT (SVT) and he had a hole. Thankfully the hole is closed now.

He was on medication until he was almost 4 years old. They weaned him off the meds because kids usually out grow this.

Well he's been having trouble again. He had an episode last September and 2 or 3 episodes a couple of months ago. They have him on a monitor. Yesterday he had another episode and we caught it on the monitor. The Doctor is talking about either putting him back on meds or doing a catheter ablation. I am really torn. DH can't even think about it because it is stressing him out so much (men). My mom, bless her, is reading too much on the internet.

The meds have their side effects. I hated giving him the meds as a baby because of the side effects and possible complications. The procedure carries its own risks as well, especially because Liam is pretty small for his age (6).

I am also having a time because this DR. is not the Dr. Liam started with. We have only seen this Dr. once before. We have an appointment to talk to him about it more on Thursday.

The Dr. Liam started with moved. I am considering taking him to the first Dr. for a second opinion. He isn't that far, he just isn't at our wonderful Children's hospital down here. Liam is so comfortable at Cook Children's.

I guess I can only wait to talk to the doctor on Thursday. It is so hard making a decision like this for another person. If it were me that was sick I could make this decision so much easier.

Thank you for "listening".

If you have had this procedure I'd love to hear about your
experience.

UPDATE: After lots of consideration and opinions we have scheduled Liam's ablation for August 19th. We come home the next day. I will keep you all updated. Thanks for you kind words, thoughts, prayers, and consideration!
Love,
Tanna

Edited by - Tanna on Jul 27 2009 10:10:54 AM

Claude09647
True Blue Farmgirl

761 Posts

Claudia
Our Dairy Farm Pennsylvania
USA
761 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  5:52:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Claude09647 an AOL message
Hey hun, I cant say i have had any heart trouble, but i do have my seizure problems. In some of my experience, its well worth your way to stay with your doctor you have had. Its always a plus to get a second opinion though. I recently went to a new doctor to get a second opinion, only because i think i didn't want to listen to what he said. But after many doctors visits with other doctors, he ended up being right. He has known my whole history and didn't only get what i could remember to tell the new doctors. Trust your gut. Its usually right, even when you dont want it to be

"If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door."
Go to Top of Page

Claude09647
True Blue Farmgirl

761 Posts

Claudia
Our Dairy Farm Pennsylvania
USA
761 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  5:54:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Claude09647 an AOL message
whoops.. typo.... only because i think i didn't want to listen to what my origional doctors prognosis was.

"If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door."
Go to Top of Page

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  6:14:21 PM  Show Profile
You are his mom, you will do fine. These things are never easy but we listen to the Dr's and our hearts guide us. Just know there will be many prayers going up for you and your son. I will pray for calmness just for your husband. I just over here in Athens so if you need ANYTHING let me know.
Smiles, Melody June

God's gift to you are your talents, your gift to Him is how you use them.
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  6:31:50 PM  Show Profile
Tanna, if you feel more comfortable with the first doctor, it might help to get the second opinion. I'll be praying for you and little Liam.

Sharlet
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  8:17:38 PM  Show Profile
I hope you find out more Thurs. And maybe feel better about this doc after you've talked to him. But a second opinion is a good thing especially about something like this. I will be praying for ya'll. I can imagine this is really hard for you.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  9:03:27 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
You are all in my prayers. My son has a heart condition too. Not the same as your son's. Sometimes it can be hard to change doctors. The doc my son had since birth moved a couple of years ago. But since your first doc isn't very far away maybe it would be a good idea to go get a second opinion from him. Especially since you have not known the new doctor long and aren't completly comfortable with him yet. Getting a second opinion doesn't hurt.

Hugs~ Melanie

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/

Swap Blog~ http://mels-swapshop.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Windsong
True Blue Farmgirl

309 Posts

LaVonna
Decatur Tx
309 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  11:20:40 PM  Show Profile
Tanna, one of my best friends has a daughter that had to have heart surgery early on and she has improved so much in her health. She did have it at Cooks. Another thing is kids with heart problems tend to be smaller.

And a few years back I sat with a friend who had twins who were having health problems. She had nobody to sit with her at the hospital and I went by several days. The amazing thing was how many very sick children would come in one day, have surgery, and go home two days later. The staff said kids just heal so fast.

I will pray for your son and for your wisdom. You follow what it tells you.
LaVonna

www.windsongwellnessandtherapyshoppe.com

http://sadiesfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  03:14:05 AM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
Tanna, I agree about getting a second opinion from the dr. who knows your son well and whom you trust. It may help you make the best decision for your son based on information he can give you. I will keep your family in my prayers.

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://fantasm01.imagekind.com/
http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  06:55:45 AM  Show Profile
Tanna,

I also agree with getting a second opinion from the first doctor. I think when making any life changing decision it's best to get another opinion. I will be praying for you and your family Tanna and for the Lord to give you wisdom in making a decision.

Melody June, How very sweet and generous of you!

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  07:01:27 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Tanna, I'm so sorry your little one has to deal with things like this. Children just shouldn't have to.

Having said that, I would go to the first doctor that you saw, when he was first diagnosed. Especially if you trust him, and you value his opinions...that's why there are so many doctors out there, and, afterall, this is YOUR son, and YOU have to make this decision, so why not be (at least) as comfortable with the decision as you can be? Liam will be fine--he'll be more than fine--children are so resilient, it's their mommies and daddies that suffer for them. So, again, I say, take charge of his care and ask all the questions, find out all the alternatives, visit all the doctors you can. This will give you the capacity to make an informed decision, and give you a little peace of mind.

Praying for your family, and little Liam especially!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Tanna
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Tanna
Fort Worth TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  12:23:53 PM  Show Profile
Thank y'all so much. You're all too kind.

Melody June, thank you for the offer. That is so sweet!

Hopefully we will know more and feel better after tomorrow.

Tanna
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  1:09:21 PM  Show Profile
Always get a second opinion, but as a Rn, the outcomes are always better when parents go with their gut instinct. Liam will be in my prayers... I have a Liam too, he is 17. They are great people!

how sweet it is to love some one, how right itis to care
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  6:07:23 PM  Show Profile
Prayers for wisdom and direction ascending.

For tomorrow and its needs I do not pray, but keep me, guide me, love me, Lord just for today.
St. Augustine

Go to Top of Page

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  07:29:32 AM  Show Profile
Hi Tanna,
How did the Dr's appt go yesterday?? What did he say? Get a cup of coffee and tell me what happened!!
Smiles, Melody June

Go to Top of Page

Tanna
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Tanna
Fort Worth TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  8:14:44 PM  Show Profile
Hi,

I'm sorry I haven't been here sooner. I haven't been home much.

The Dr. said things I already knew really. I just wanted someone to tell me that these episodes are just flukes and this problem will go away. Not very realistic I know.

You see, when Liam was in and out of the hospital as a baby and toddler they had planned on doing this ablation. I actually wanted it done but when they weaned him off the medication there was a chance the condition would have worked its self out. It really seemed to go away, but it didn't. But it hasn't been as bad as it was when he was a baby. The dr. says it will continue and get harder to control. By the time he hits puberty we will be right back where we started. In and out of the hospital but he will not tolerate the fast heart rate as well when he is bigger.

If we go with the medication it is something he will take everyday forever or until he gets the ablation. One of the main side-effects is depression. Liam is just about the happiest kids you will ever meet.

The ablation has a 95% rate of total success, and has a 99% safety record. It is a lot safer now than it was 3 years ago. The dr. told me he did one last week on an 18 month old and it went fine. Just the stress of someone going in to your baby's heart and messing around is frightening.

Liam actually wants to do the ablation. I think the stress of thinking at any moment your heart is just going to go bonkers is a lot for him. He also wants to play sports, something he may not be able to do otherwise.

We are leaning that direction but taking the weekend to decide. If we do schedule this it won't be for at least a month. I will post as soon as I know for sure what we are doing and when.

Thanks so much for caring. Just knowing there are terrific women here being so supportive is very helpful!

Tanna
Farmgirl #644
Go to Top of Page

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  8:32:58 PM  Show Profile
No wonder Jesus says to come to Him as a child. Children have an innocents about them we should all pray for. No matter what they endure their main thoughts are just to be children who can play. Why do we all want to grow up so fast. We have a mighty Father, I will ask Him for a miracle in Liam's life. I know God has many praying for your son you are not even aware of, so chin up, all will be well.
Smiles, Melody June

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  8:59:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Tanna-

What a sweet boy Liam must be! *hugs* I will keep you in my thoughts and pray for you and your family.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  2:50:49 PM  Show Profile
Keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers

how sweet it is to love some one, how right itis to care
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2009 :  01:55:49 AM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
Read your update Tanna and will continue to keep Liam and your family in my prayers.

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://fantasm01.imagekind.com/
http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2009 :  05:05:40 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Tanna- I am sure having a decision made takes a little of the weight off! I am sure everything will go perfectly. I hope so for both you and him! I'll keep you both in my thoughts!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up: Previous Topic Decision Time UPDATED Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page