mrsmoosepants
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Sara
Lackawanna NY
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  12:41:22 PM  Show Profile
What is your favorite recipe for pickled beets?

I tried making them 2 years ago, but they came out tasting... not so pickled. I think the recipe was 1part water to 1part vinegar to 1part sugar.

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  1:55:21 PM  Show Profile
Sara, I will start out by saying I hate, hate hate beets. I've tried them any which way and I do not like them. They taste like dirt.... but this recipe isn't so bad if I get the beets young and tender. My family likes it so much that they "request" it as gifts... Kid you not.... and if you don't want eggs in there, leave them out, but you can do this with eggs and without.

2c. apple cider vinegar
2c. sugar
12-18 large beets diced and cooked. Reserve the juice!
OR 10-20 really small beets and 2 doz. hard boiled eggs, peeled.
2 tsp. salt
water

I use a gallon container.

In a large container, add juice of beets and enough water to equal 4 cups. Add your beets. Set aside.
In a large saucepan, bring vinegar and sugar to a rapid boil and cook for 5 minutes stirring to dissolve sugar. Makes kitchen smell divine... haha... add salt. Let vinegar mixture cool for about 15-20 minutes if using a glass container. Pour vinegar mixture over top of beets (and or eggs) and refrigerate 2-3 days before eating. Sometimes I add hot peppers to it, sometimes I don't.

Good luck with your pickle factory recipe!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
http://harvestthyme.blogspot.com
http://maknfaces.blogspot.com
~Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. --Will Rogers~

Edited by - deeredawn on Jul 21 2009 1:56:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  4:15:04 PM  Show Profile
I have such lousy luck growing beets and they are such a mess to cook and peal that I don't do beets. What I do is at least once a year, I'll buy a dozen cans at the store. I buy the small whole beets, not pickled. They are quite inexpensive. When I want pickled beets, I take a qt fruit jar, drain the juice from the can of beets into the jar, add 1/3 cup of phony sugar and 1/3 cup of apple cider vinegar. Mix until sugar is disolved then put in the can of beets. In a few hours I have pickled beets. Since they are in a fruit jar, everyone thinks I canned them. I only tell if they ask.

Dawn, I love your quote from Will Rogers. He and I have a couple of things in common. We share the same birthday, Nov 4. He was born 60 years before me. And "I never met a man I didn't like".
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  03:59:42 AM  Show Profile
I LOVE pickled eggs and beets, I use a equal parts sugar, vinegar, and beet juice, throw in a cinnamon stick (yes, really!) and bring to a boil. Pour in a gallon jar, add beets and eggs, let sit a couple days, and enjoy!
Go to Top of Page

RubyJunes
True Blue Farmgirl

246 Posts

June
Greenwich Ohio
USA
246 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  06:55:39 AM  Show Profile
yum! I'm with you, Suzanne--I LOVE pickled eggs & beets, too! Grandma's (and Mom's) pickled beets always had cloves, allspice, cinnamon & stuff in. Mom just gave me 2 jars of her pickled beets to put with some eggs in my fridge. oh am I glad hubby doesnt enjoy these--more for ME!

I need to find a nice big jar for mine, broke my other one. Dawn has an enormous pickle jar filled with her cookie cutters that I dream of seeing FULL of pickled eggs and beets! Sound good, Dawn?!

--June
Farmgirl #545
www.RubyJunes.com
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  08:13:12 AM  Show Profile
I ahve a funny story for you all
I had never pickled anything before a few years ago and thought I would give it a try. So I read and re-read a recipe for making pickled beets. Well, I guees I didn't read it enough as I didn't precook the beets. the only "cooking" that they got was the boiling water bath i used to preserve them. Anyway...they tasted great...a bit hard is all :)

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"
farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page

Nigella
True Blue Farmgirl

386 Posts

Nigella
Chimacum WA
USA
386 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  11:28:59 AM  Show Profile
I like Alton Brown's pickled beet recipe (available on Food Network's website).
Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  6:40:35 PM  Show Profile
Sara - I have a great recipe for canning old-fashioned pickled beets. As soon as I find it, I will post the recipe for you.
Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  06:28:01 AM  Show Profile
Here is my recipe for Pickled Beets - I have used this recipe for years and it has always been a success. I also have a good one for beets and cabbage pickles, if you are interested.

Makes 4 pts.

24 beets, 2 c vinegar, 1-1/4 c sugar, 2 Tbl salt, 6 whole cloves, 1-3" stick cinnamon, 3 med onions (sliced). Remove beet tops, leaving roots and 1" stem. Cover with boiling water and cook until tender. Drain, reserving 1 c cooking liquid. Remove the skins and slice. Combine cooking liquid, vinegar, sugar and salt in a saucepan. Combine cloves and cinnamon in a bag. Add to the liquid. Bring to a boil. Add beets and onions. Simmer 5 min. Remove spice bag. Continue simmering while quickly packing beets and onions into one hot jar at a time. Fill to 1/2" top. Adjust lids. Process in water bath at 212 degrees for 30 min.

You can save the juice from your canned beets, covering 6 hard-boiled eggs. Let set overnight. Slice and serve with celery, cubes of cheese or slice and add to sandwiches.
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  09:25:07 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Shirley, those sound wonderful! I was just at the farmers market a half hour ago and will be making some of these up tonight!
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  09:53:35 AM  Show Profile
i'm glad i saw this thread, because i have a question... our beets actually came up great this year compared to last year when they were destroyed by hail. so i'm excited to try pickling them! i've never done it before. i have a recipe that looks great, but takes whole cloves and stick cinnamon and consists of making a spice bag from cheesecloth.
well, we were grocery shopping last night at wal-mart and my hubby likes to conserve money, so he insisted we just get regular ground cinnamon and cloves. has anyone tried making a spice bag with ground spices? will it work?
i also didn't find cheesecloth there.... if it is at wal-mart, where in the store would it be? where do you shop for cheesecloth?
also, does anyone know of a good place online or a store where i could buy cheap spices?

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

mrsmoosepants
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Sara
Lackawanna NY
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  10:28:00 AM  Show Profile
Shirley: Thank you, I did make my measly 3 1/2-pint jars of them yesterday. I haven't opened one up yet, but I'm dying to. Your recipe looks similar to the one I used from the NCHFP/USDA website.

But since I only had 1 lb of beets, I can try a few different recipes to see which I like best. So I will keep your recipe handy for my next harvest.

Elizabeth: I found my cheesecloth in the fabric/sewing section
big bag for about 3 bucks. I also use a tea ball that i found at a garage sale.
I buy my spices locally, Wegmans & Tops (my local grocery stores).
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Pickled Beets Recipe Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page