Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Homemade Shampoo Recipe
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Homemade Shampoo Recipe Next Topic  

Lauram
True Blue Farmgirl

74 Posts

Laura
Moneta VA
USA
74 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2006 :  05:01:41 AM  Show Profile
First of all, I am not endorsing this recipe because I haven't tried it yet. What do all of you think of this, and what is MSM? I would love to make my own shampoo.

4 oz of castile soap with any scent is that available – plain, peppermint, eucalyptus.

½ oz of rosemary - stimulates the hair follicles and helps to prevent premature baldness

½ oz of sage – has antioxidants and keeps things from spoiling and is antibacterial

½ oz of nettles – acts as a blood purifier, blood stimulator, contains a large source of nutrients for hair growth

½ of lavender – controls the production of sebaceous gland oil and reduces itchy and flaky scalp conditions

2000 mg of MSM – provides organic sulfur to your scalp, which improves the health and strength of your hair. It also helps to drive herbal nutrient into the skin and follicles where they can do the most good.

one empty 8 oz plastic bottle, or any other empty shampoo or soap bottle.

Mix the herbs in a mason jar, which has a lid. Boil 2 cups of distilled water. Add 3 heaping tablespoons of the mixed herbs into the boiling water. Pull the boiling water and herbs off the stove. Let the herb mixture sit for 30 – 40 minutes. Put the 2000mg of MSM into the herb mixture after 30 minutes of cooling. After 40 minutes and the MSM is melted, strain the herbal mixture into a bowl.

Pour 2 to 2 1/2 oz of strained herbal tea into the 8 oz plastic bottle. Now, pour the 4 oz of castile soap into the 8 oz plastic bottle. Cap the bottle and shake to mix the ingredients.

The shampoo is now finished and ready for use. Use this as a base for all of the shampoos you make. You can add different herbs as you learn what these herbs do and how they help your hair. You can vary the ingredients according to your taste. But now you have a shampoo that has no additives that can harm you.

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2006 :  08:19:06 AM  Show Profile
This looks really interesting - I've used plain castile soap as a shampoo, and I'm not entirely convinced that I like it, but I might try this one. I'm not sure what MSM is - anybody else know?

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2006 :  08:46:45 AM  Show Profile
Methylsulfonymethane is MSM. It is used as an arthritis treatment from what I've read. It comes in pills, powers, ointments, etc.
The shampoo recipe sounds interesting, but I'd be VERY careful with the nettles, especially if doing this recipe inside. Nettles sting and burn! And in order to be able to use them on the skin (or eaten--some people eat them) they must be BOILED and the steam should NOT be inhaled or you will get the sting on the inside! I don't know if the "steeping" method you described would work for making the nettles safe for skin contact. I'd do more research.
Take care!

Jana
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2006 :  10:45:20 AM  Show Profile
This isn't homemade, and please don't laugh, but I sometimes use my dog's all natural shampoo. It comes from a company called Cloud Star, and if you like light, clean smelling hair, I would recommend it.

My husband liked the smell too, but nearly jumped out of the water one day when I told him his bubble bath was dog shampoo!

Don't knock it 'till you try it!
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Homemade Shampoo Recipe Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page