Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Bad rooster Next Topic  

Jenzi
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Jenna
Berlin MD
21 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  11:21:25 AM  Show Profile
Last year when you got our shipment of baby chicks I so so excited by all of them! Our "free exotic" was the most fun to play with though with its yellow puffy head. Since I handled it more than the others it was the tamest of the bunch. Unfortunately, it grew into a rooster and now he likes to attack my legs. We have two other roosters and have no problem with them. I have taken to carrying a snow shovel in with me as a shield and kicking him away. He will stay away for a while and then start up again. Anyone have experience with this? Will his behavior ever get better?

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  11:28:32 AM  Show Profile
he needs a couple of girl friends, he is expressing male breeding/protective behaviour..I take it you do have some hens? but your rooster apparently sees you as a threat to the flock and is trying to protect his "harem" get him a few more girlfriends to occupy his time.

~I Dream of a Better World..where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned!~
blogs:http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and http://thevictorygardener.blogspot.com
magazine: www.stliving.net
etsy shops: http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
and http://myvictorygarden.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Jenzi
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Jenna
Berlin MD
21 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  11:32:54 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the advice Tina. We actually have about 20 ladies too. I dont have room for more so I guess Ill keep using the shovel for now.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  11:39:48 AM  Show Profile
Once a bad roo always a bad roo. That's my thoughts on it. Maybe others have had them to get over it, but not me. And those bad roos don't last long here. I hope my new Buff roo is good. He seems to be so far. I have no problem with him yet. But with a name like Jimmy Buffet, he has to be good!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Jenzi
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Jenna
Berlin MD
21 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  11:48:52 AM  Show Profile
my little guy's name is "Trump" for the interesting head feathers
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  12:03:47 PM  Show Profile
No his attitude will get worse. I wouldn't wait to get rid of him especially if you have children.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  12:03:52 PM  Show Profile
I like that! I bet it fits him, too.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  2:24:22 PM  Show Profile
He will not change, only get worse, any bad roosters around here end up in the pressure cooker.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  2:43:41 PM  Show Profile
I'm with Teresa, Chicken and dumplings for dinner. I was told our's would grow out of it but he went for my head and he tasted great for dinner.
Smiles, Melody June

God's gift to you are your talents, your gift to Him is how you use them.
Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  9:50:16 PM  Show Profile
We had a nasty rooster...we actually named him Butt Head. As a mature barred rock rooster, he was just shy of 10 lbs and had spurs that were a good 4 inches long. DANGEROUS!!! He took after DH one too many times and we had Butt Head noodle soup. He's the only one that we had with a bad attitude...the others haven't been aggressive toward us, but take excellent care of their girls.

"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  9:58:29 PM  Show Profile
I tend to agree...a nasty rooster usually only gets worse..and they can be dangerous. I had a tiny mean banty rooster fly up in my face one time when I was gathering eggs and cut me above and below my eye..very scary... and amazing I don't still have a scar. The older they get the more "ammo" they have with those spurs!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  01:38:59 AM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
He'll be real tasty and you'll enjoy that meal as no more shovel to protect your legs.

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://fantasm01.imagekind.com/
http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

TurkeyGirl
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Carrie
Wellington OH
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  6:56:16 PM  Show Profile
I think those long spurs can be filed or trimmed back, which seems like a good move even if the rooster isn't nasty. I've never kept a rooster once they gained a bad attitude, because even if they somewhat learn to respect me, they still always go after my kids. I have two white rock roosters right now, and of course the best looking one also seems to have that cocky attitude. He probably won't be around here too long!
Twenty-pound turkeys with bad attitudes don't make it long either. Their spurs aren't usually as sharp, but they like to jump up and whip me with their wings.
Carrie

Opportunity is often missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work. Thomas Edison
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  7:04:16 PM  Show Profile
We had one named Speedy because he was so fast. He got worse as time went on . He finally really attacted me and I couldn't get away from him. I was more than angry. I wanted blood. My hubby really like him and thought we might be able to do something with him. Well he climbed on the chicken tractor and was the perfect height for me to take a swing at with a board and right when I was about to knock his head off, hubby talked me into letting him throw a sack over him and take him to my parents house in the country. He let him go by the pond and he stayed around there for a while, until the coyotes got him. I shed no tears. We have one now that got put in with our pullets and he is about five months old. I keep watching, and so far no bad behavior. If I see any at all he will be supper.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  8:07:50 PM  Show Profile
Too bad you didn't get him, Sharlot. I bet those coyotes didn't appreciate him as much as you would have! Those mean roos are really so much better in the pot, huh?

When I was a kid my grandma had chickens. The rooster was a big white one. He seemed to be always waiting for us kids at the door and would chase us everywhere. My grandma finally got him and he didn't bother us anymore. We were very happy about that.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  8:10:07 PM  Show Profile
I know what you mean Kris. My little grandkids all had chicken sticks they kept at the back door. I have zero tolerance now. I bet he would have been tasty!
Go to Top of Page

Jenzi
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Jenna
Berlin MD
21 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  5:42:01 PM  Show Profile
we have two really good roosters and just the one bad one. Our chicken run is enclosed so he can only get after us when we go to feed and pick up eggs. I think the "exotic" breed roosters must be the meanist.
Go to Top of Page

MsTrekken
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Bonnie
Amherst VA
USA
18 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  5:57:16 PM  Show Profile
I've been with chickens all my 57 years and have yet to have one that hits to stop hitting. My husband takes a pair of Plumber's PVC cutters and cuts back spurs about twice a year on my roos (I have 6 roosters)I hold them while he cuts. It only causes them pain if you cut too far back..into the quick. So don't do that. I generally have my feed bucket between me and them anyway.

May the good Lord bless and keep you.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Bad rooster Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page