Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 What is your favorite Cookbook and Why?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic What is your favorite Cookbook and Why? Next Topic
Page: of 2

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  06:34:32 AM  Show Profile
I love cookbooks and read them cover to cover like a novel. There is nothing like just plain down home cooking, like our grandmothers made, so I enjoy really old cookbooks the best.
I guess that is why my all time favorite is The Farmers Wife Cookbook. This is the real thing if you want recipes that work today but love the stories of old. These all came for the original The Farmers Wife monthly magazine's that started in 1894 and by the dates in the book must have ended in the 1930's. Over 400 blue ribbon winner recipes and instructions to make things like a perfect loaf of bread to canning for the county fair. If farmers wife did it, it's in this book. You will love the pictures of these women in their aprons. Done in 1996 by Martha Engstrom and only $9.95 and worth every penny of it.

Second, anything by Susan Branch. Her stories and picture's just take you away to a happy place. Her recipes are fool proof.

Smiles, Melody June

God's gift to you are your talents, your gift to Him is how you use them.

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  08:42:10 AM  Show Profile
This sounds like something I would love!! Thanks for the heads-up Melody June.
I just got two cookbooks that I really like - one is the Farm Chicks cookbook and the other is Mrs. Rowe's Restaurant Cookbook. Everything I have tried from each is good, plus the Farmchicks have some great farmgirl type projects and the Mrs. Rowe's book has a wonderful biography of her - she was a single mom, had a restaurant, just an inspiring lady
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

1930sgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Joyce
Alberta
Canada
233 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  08:58:13 AM  Show Profile
Thanks girls!

Amy Grace, I would appreciate a little book review on The Farm Chicks Cookbook. I've just heard about it and would love to know why it's your favorite. Thanks a lot!

My favorite is "More-with-Less" by Doris Janzen Longacre. The recipes are simple and healthy. They use everyday ingredients and consider sustainability as well. Though the author wrote this book many years ago, the recipes are still very much what families needs today.

Joyce
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  08:58:53 AM  Show Profile
That sounds like a fantastic book!! I must have about 100 cookbooks and I do love to read them. My favorite of all time, however, is my 1940's edition of the Betty Crocker cook book. I have more recent editions, but they aren't as good. I probably use the 1940's version more than any other cook book on my shelves.

Farmgirl # 639
Go to Top of Page

ranchmama
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Elise
Rosebud MT
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  09:10:16 AM  Show Profile
I like the Taste of Home books. Especially the 2004 Quick Cooking edtiton. For some reason, all of my good recipies come from that one. I have so many that I have written down the recipies I use from each book in the inside cover that way they are easy to find.

Also a church cookbook from my husband's aunt. It's got all those recpies you need like simple gravy and pie crust to big cookie recpies. If I'm looking for an old fashion home cooked meal, I go to that one first. Then it's too my Better Homes and Gardens. That one really helped me learn to cook. Its got all those simple things too.

Elise

Every Child Deserves Our Love &
A Bear of Their Own
http://ATeddyForKeeps.org

http://ranchmama.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  10:20:00 AM  Show Profile
Sure thing Joyce - The Farm Chicks cookbook is really simple - just breakfast, lunch and dessert. It is all recipes that they serve their families, or have been given to them as family favorites. I have tried a couple things out of it and been really impressed - you don't need to go buy fancy ingredients or anything. They also have a series of craft projects scattered through the book - definitely farmgirl inspired, stuff like a scone cozy and some projects with oilcloth. Plus it has their stories in it and some little articles about some of the people they have met while doing their farm salvage/antique business.

Oh and Thanks again Melody June for the recommendation - just ordered the cookbook
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  10:35:38 AM  Show Profile
I had seen a write up on the Farm Chicks and was wondering about it. Thought it was funny they are farm chicks cause they look for antiques in farm barns. LOL I just ordered it on half.com for only 14.00 Yeah!!
Smiles, Melody

Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  6:01:02 PM  Show Profile
I love the Farm Chicks cookbook too. I got a gorgeous cookbook this spring called Familymeals: Creating Traditions in the Kitchen by Maria Helm Sinskey. I love it and keep going through it over and over. She teaches you how to keep the kids in the kitchen as a family and how to do a ton of things (like making ricotta cheese) from scratch. Beautiful illustrations, good writing and great recipes.

My quilting and life blog!!
http://downtoearthliving.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  7:09:07 PM  Show Profile
Hmmmmmm now that sounds interesting. Ricotta cheese, I love learning something new. Thanks Sheryl-lyn I'll put that one on my list.
Smiles, Melody June

Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  8:28:38 PM  Show Profile
Mine is probably a church cookbook that is thirty years old. The recipes are plain ingredient familly favorites. I have an old watkins cook book too that is from the twenties or thirties and it has some pretty cool stuff in it. The instructions are a lot different.
Go to Top of Page

Hosanna
True Blue Farmgirl

466 Posts

Hosanna
Alton Virginia
466 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  07:43:51 AM  Show Profile
My favorite is the Fannie Farmer Cookbook. My mom has one from the early 1900's we still use recipes from. I also like Southern Living cookbooks. Their recipes are simple, easy, and delicious!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  7:59:55 PM  Show Profile
I just used my Fannie Farmer cookbook again last night. I am always taking that one off the shelf.

Go to Top of Page

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  04:46:41 AM  Show Profile
Sarah I got my moms and I love it also. Am always amazed that we always go back to simple down home food. How bout all the old Farm Journal cookbooks? I have 3 I would never part with. And one called "Better than Store Bought" when I wanted to learn how to make cottage cheese and ketchup back in the 80's.
And the church cookbooks, meals right from the farms kitchen.

For birthdays I make my guys their favorite meal for the day.
My husbands is always pork chops, rice and beans, homemade bread.
One son anything with mac and cheese, and not the box one.
Other son I don't have to ask, it is always the whole Thanksgiving meal in March. Turkey, stuffing, Ham, candied yams, corn, mashed potatoes, cranberries and homemade rolls.
Never have they asked for a meal from one of my famous Chef cookbooks. LOL They eat those meals and like them but they love country food.
Smiles, Melody June

Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  3:19:09 PM  Show Profile
I have many cookbooks, and all of them have great recipes, but, 2 of my favorites are :

" White Trash Gatherings " from scrathch cooking for down-home entertaining by Kendra Bailey Morris
great recipes with funny stories

" Bake until Bubbly" the Ultimate Casserole Cookbook by Clifford A. Wright, just plain good stick to the ribs hearty filling food.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  7:45:35 PM  Show Profile
Teresa, my daughter is having a white-trash party at our house this weekend!! LOL She would love that cookbook.

Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2009 :  6:57:03 PM  Show Profile
Melody June - I cook my guys' favorite meals for their b-days also - this year, one asked for "Greek", so the table was full of the usual Greek foods; one always wants lasagna, so he had an Italian table, and the youngest asked for "Thanksgiving Dinner" - that was June 1. My husband's favorite is shish-ka-bob with our favorite sides - orzo and roasted vegetables, wild rice, etc.

My favorite cookbooks are Barefoot Contessa and several from Houston Jr. League - great things in those!
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2009 :  7:23:23 PM  Show Profile
My favorite cookbook is The Amish Cook: Recollections and Recipes From an Old Order Amish Family by Elizabeth Coblentz with Kevin Williams. I love it cause all the recipes are genuine Amish and it's full of pictures and writings on Amish life. Sadly, I don't use it very often because all the recipes make A LOT of food and I rarely have to cook for a large gathering. But for family reunions and other special occasions, it has some really good recipes.
cindy

"Dog is my co-pilot"

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2009 :  7:53:51 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Cindy, thats my favorite cookbook too!!! How cool is that?!?!? I love it because it , well.... because I love anything amish. and beacuse I use it alot.
Maggie
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2009 :  10:13:46 PM  Show Profile
Maggie--glad you like it too...by the way, a link you might like is www.nanoel.com. She is an artist who specializes in paintings of Amish life.
Cindy

"Dog is my co-pilot"

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2009 :  10:33:18 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Thank you Cindy for the website. :Looks really cool!
Maggie
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2009 :  07:16:05 AM  Show Profile
I too am a cookbook "reader"!! There are 3 on my list that I reccomend, all are by the Menonite community. These cookbooks all have great stories in them along with wonderful recipes, they are always used in my house.

1. More with Less by Doris Janzen Lonacre. Recipes and suggestions by mennonites on how to eat better and consume less of the world's resources.

2. Simply in Season by Mary Beth Lind and Cathleen Hockman-Wert. A season by season cookbook and a few all season extras.

3. Extending the Table by Joetta Handrich Schlabach. Recipes and stories of people from Argentina to Zambia.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2009 :  09:10:12 AM  Show Profile
Pioneer Woman has one coming out in October. You can pre-order now :)

I have so many cookbooks, alot of Gooseberry Patch ones from having my recipes published. I really like my Susan Branch Heart of the Home at Christmas and the Autumn Book (not exactly a cookbook per say) I have been trying to downsize, I guess my old stand by would be Better Homes and Garden red & white checked. :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

aunt boby
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

toby
polo illinois
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2009 :  12:50:39 PM  Show Profile
I reach for my Taste Of Home cookbooks the most. They have tons of recipes for everything under the sun. I also came across 1939 Bureau County Ladies Club cookbook. I've tried a couple recipes from that. It's pretty interesting though because alot of the the recipes do not specify exact amounts for the ingredients or show any temps or cooking times for them. I suppose back then everyone did know how to cook so if you got handed a list of ingredients you could just run with it!

POOR IS THE MAN WHO CANNOT ENJOY THE SIMPLE THINGS IN LIFE- anonymous
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2009 :  7:03:15 PM  Show Profile
Isn't that funny Toby? I have a couple of old family recipes that just have ingredients - I am going to have to experiment because I am not that accomplished of a cook. The other thing I found interesting in a 1930's cookbook I have is that some contributors had electricity and specified oven temps while others would just say slow oven.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2009 :  7:34:25 PM  Show Profile
Amy, here is the conversion from old time to now.

Oven Temperature Conversion Table

Very slow oven
250 degrees F

Slow oven
300 degrees F

Moderately slow oven
325 degrees F

Moderate oven
350 degrees F

Moderately hot oven
375 degrees F

Hot (or quick) oven
400 degrees F

Very hot oven
450 degrees F

Extremely hot oven
500 degrees F
Smiles, Melody June

Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2009 :  7:50:23 PM  Show Profile
Prariehawk, I have some of the prints that you are talking about, I love all the Amish Children with animals, my favorite is the little boy with the bramha calf, I also have some of her baby angel prints.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Reading Room: Previous Topic What is your favorite Cookbook and Why? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page