Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Cleaning Up
 1892 RedWork Embroidered Pillow Shams
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic 1892 RedWork Embroidered Pillow Shams Next Topic  

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  7:51:12 PM  Show Profile
Tonight my friend Kathy presented me with a pair of what I think would be called pillow shams (no way to insert the pillow) just a cotton panel-good size... or pillow covers? I think they used to just throw these over the pillows when the bed was made if there wasn't a bedspread maybe just a feather bed. Anyway. These are redwork embroidered and dated 1892.

How would I go about cleaning them?..There are quite a few stains, but the fabric is is good condition-all cotton-no shredding or tears at all and sturdy.

Help?

Thanks ladies!

Melody
Farmgirl #525
http://melodynotes-melodynotes.blogspot.com
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2009 :  03:42:51 AM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
Oh you are sooooooo lucky! I think I'd be scared to do anything to them so I'll defer to more knowledgeable sisters.

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://fantasm01.imagekind.com/
http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2009 :  09:12:15 AM  Show Profile
Oh Melody what a treasure you have. Don't touch them yet. I restore vintage linen's and will mail out Monday a little bag of magic to you. You'd don't want to do anything that might break down the fibers.
Smiles, Melody June

God's gift to you are your talents, your gift to Him is how you use them.
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2009 :  09:48:09 AM  Show Profile
Bag of magic? Oh, do tell, do tell! I'd love to know how to take care of vintage fabrics. Redwork from that early date...wow! I don't know when the "boilfast" notions came out that didn't bleed. I'd love to know how to wash something like that without having the colors run, and getting them crispy white again.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2009 :  11:57:21 AM  Show Profile
Hi Michelle,
Not real magic but you'll feel that way when you get that really stubborn stain right out with it. Really it's only "Restoration" used for fine antique linens. Not to be used for silk or wool.
Here is their site if you'd like to get some. Worth the cost if you have lots of things to clean but best to share with friends who just need enough for a couple things.
Smiles, Melody June

God's gift to you are your talents, your gift to Him is how you use them.
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2009 :  1:29:57 PM  Show Profile
Cabin Princess...I can hardly wait!

I too work with vintage linens and restore vintage quilts. And I know that fabric of this age will definately need a little "magic!" Thank you so much, Melody. I will snap a pic and post pictures of my pillow covers (?). They really are incredible and really large! The redwork is still very very bright yet...Can you imagine?

Someone took great care with these lovelies. I can just picture them on a big brass bed complete with a big old featherbed or better yet a double wedding ring quilt....

Melody
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2009 :  6:26:44 PM  Show Profile
Can't wait for pictures! What a treat!

Melody...I don't see the address? I do have some friends here to share with. I love to share appreciation for vintage linens. All the work that goes into these treasures..wow!

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic 1892 RedWork Embroidered Pillow Shams Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page