True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  3:09:57 PM  Show Profile
I am looking fo any advice on anti virals for mono
My 9 year old, disabled granddaughter has just been diagnosed with it and her docs say " Its a virus and just has to run its course"
Alyssa has a very compromised immune systen and I am not willing to follow that advice. Have started her on a course of high potency A,C,E, red sea algae, aloe vera juice and Protein powder.
Am open to suggestions for other natural cures or supplements/ herbal that you know of
Thanks
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.stitchingby2sisters.etsy.com

Love that good ole vintage junk

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  6:38:22 PM  Show Profile
I am sorry to hear she's sick with mono. The only thing I can think of at the moment is vitamin d-3. Our doctor told us to take it a couple of years ago. He took it in large doses and avoided colds and other viruses that patients came in with. We don't take it in the summer because we are in the sun so much. When fall gets here we will take it again daily. It seems to help a lot. You will proabaly need to go to a good health food store and get the one for children. I hope she is not feeling too bad. If I come across anything else in my books I'll post it.

Sharlet
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2009 :  11:20:25 PM  Show Profile
My daughter had mono as year ago. I got the let it run it's course speech too. We did have to put her on steroids for a bit because her glands were swollen the size of eggs and her throat almost closed shut. Then I took her to a naturopath and she gave us things to build the immune system like C, B Complex, Multi Vitamins, and immune builders like echinacea, golden seal, etc.

The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com
[/size=1]
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  10:49:32 AM  Show Profile
When I had mono a few years ago I took garlic capsules. They are supposed to boost the immune system. It wouldn't hurt to try them to help her get over this faster.
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  12:11:20 PM  Show Profile
My experience with one of my daughters was the same as Kay's...we were told to just let it run it's course. After weeks of not showing any improvement, our family doc gave her a quick course of prednisone and it finally knocked it out of her. It took her a couple of months to get her strength back. Prednisone can be a very scary drug, but also a miracle one...sometimes it's warranted.
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Mono Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page