Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 My neighbors are THEIVES..UPDATE on Mrs.W!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic My neighbors are THEIVES..UPDATE on Mrs.W! Next Topic
Page: of 2

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  07:01:47 AM  Show Profile
So.....I saw that the one family member that I felt was always looking out for Mrs. W came over yesterday. I was in the garden, cutting some green beans for dinner and she asked me if Mrs. W. was home...I said, "honestly, I don't know..I've not seen any movement over there today..." she muttered some remark that "it wasn't surprising, she's probably sleeping it off!!" And I didn't say anything, but later, when she came out to get what appeared to be cleaning supplies, I asked her if I could talk with her about the living situation, Mrs. W's care, and whether or not anything had ever been reported to Senior Services. Boy, did I get a story!!! She first thanked me for my concern and said "the family is doing the best we can--there are many obstacles--Mrs. W is stuck in her ways, and then there's D....but Mrs. W doesn't have to live this way (in filth)..." Senior services has been called, but by noone in the family. And it wasn't me. So that leaves neighbors. Interesting!!!

Basically, D and her son are living there rent free, whenever they get evicted, and are spending Mrs. W's money anyway they can--there is a "new" van in the driveway as of last night. As I mentioned, neither of them work. Mrs. W's own daughter is supposed to stop by and stay every Mon and Tues. but when she calls to say she's coming, Mrs. W. says, "oh...no, D says you don't need to, D says she's coming over to stay with me..". So there seems to be some "power" that she wields. I told her that D has been known to be violent, both to her son and to Mrs. W. I was informed that the latest "love interest" of D's isn't allowed in to the house because he's bad news, and Mrs. W (though legally blind!) can see that a million miles away. I told her that I was unhappy about the van in the backyard, and the crowd that R is running with--that I'm frightened for our little one and our property (it ain't much, but it's ours!!). She said that other members of the family are aware of his social group and aren't thrilled either. I told her that we are preparing to move if Mrs. W passes because we are afraid that D will get the house. She said that they are trying to find a property that they can all live together because Mrs. W wants D and R to be taken care of for the "rest of their lives"....
So, I think the heat is on...and at least I know that the family actually DOES know what's happening there. I think I still will make a call to Senior Services when things get whacky again. And don't you fret, they WILL get whacky again!!!

My next door neighbor is an elderly woman who is 89 years old...she and her family come from a very rural part of the state, and well, they live in a manner in which most of us don't, and most people in the neighborhood steer clear of them because they're considered "white trash"...But, my neighbor, Mrs. W? I adore her...and I would never do anything to upset her, but the primary reason she's obtained this reputation is because her granddaughter (44) and great-grandson (16--who dropped out of school this year) descend on her property a hundred times a year to live with her (everytime they get evicted), everytime she breaks up with a man, everytime she goes off her meds (she's a paranoid schizophrenic and bi-polar). They don't work, they just sponge off old Mrs. W.

I've always been kind to them because of my fondness for Mrs. W., and believe me, it's DIFFICULT--there's a constant array of deadbeat men she brings home (most of whom leer at me from the car, because for some reason they're not brought inside); they have a broken down (vulgarly spraypainted) 1970's era van in the backyard that the boy and his friends use for a stoner clubhouse; she mows the grass at 11:30 pm with a TRACTOR when she's in one of her "up" modes; she's always bringing undesirable "handymen" (that she's met at the bar) to the house to "fix it up" so Mrs. W. can stay there, but it always results in some calamity of robbery or fraud. One group even stole our brand new metal ladder we had purchased with some of our wedding money. I've never said anything because of Mrs. W. Everytime they move back to Mrs. W's home, they have some poor neglected animal that they tie up to the porch for days on end without water or food. Now, I have called animal control on them, because that is something I WILL NOT stand for. This has been going on since I moved there in 1998.

So, I'm giving background information to hopefully convey my level of frustration...We've been working to try to get Violet on a sleeping schedule because she's a nightowl, but is often so tired that tirades ensue and it can be very difficult to get her down at night, resulting in bedtimes as late as 1 am. I've done the same routine each night this week with much success, she's in bed by 9:00 or around there, and we have some time to ourselves and she, bless her, is well rested! But LAST NIGHT, after our bath, book, and bottle, just after I finished rocking and singing her to a nice sleep, I put her in the crib (looked at the clock, whew! 10:15) when this horrible cacophony of dog barking errupted (I have 3 really BIG dogs, and one small-ish dog), which scared both Violet and I to death, and she immediately started that "scared" screaming cry that babies get when frightened, I fell over some toys because we were in the dark, and I grabbed her up because I heard this KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK on our front door. I could not believe my eyes. There stood the granddaughter, cigarette in hand, "decked out", and started talking, rapid-fire fashion, that she needed me to "come watch her start her car because she's been working on the electrical system and wanted to make sure it didn't catch fire." No attention was paid to the screaming baby in my arms, or the angry look on my face. I said, "D_______, she was sleeping. You woke her up!!" Then, instead of saying, "oh my gosh, it's late, isn't it? I'm really sorry..." She said, "well, I don't have anyone to look at this car, and I don't want it to blow up or something, and ruin the engine. I guess I'm sorry I asked YOU!!" So I followed her out to the car yelling, with my baby in my arms, "you're sorry you ASKED me???? How about, you're sorry for waking my little girl and causing total chaos in my household!!!" But absolutely NO notice or admission of anything like that. She just kept yammering away that noone else could help her and she just wanted to make sure she didn't ruin her engine. The grandson recently totalled Mrs. W.'s 2003 Dodge Caravan and bought this beater to replace it.

So, at 12:10 am, when Violet was so tired she couldn't stop screaming and crying, I decided I was going to go over there and knock on the door to show her what she'd done--to say, "congratulations. This is what you've accomplished. Don't EVER come to my door after dark again!!!" But the car was gone. She was gone--to the bar. How convenient.

My poor little girl and I were awake MUCH longer than we needed to be, and she was tying one on at the local watering hole. That's why getting the car fixed was so freakin' important to her!!!

Here's the rub...when Mrs. W passes away, I just know they're going to get the house....it will be at that time my gloves come off.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/

Edited by - FebruaryViolet on Jul 27 2009 07:46:42 AM

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  07:33:20 AM  Show Profile
I hear you kiddo. Having had some grisly neighbors in the past I know how tedious these situations can be. My nearest neighbor, Tim, is a gun nut of the first order and despite the fact that my land is posted, insists on trespassing and building tree stands, etc. He had his house up for sale and everyone in this neighborhood was so excited, he told us he was moving to Montana. He did sell his house, but then tricked us all by keeping some of the land and building himself a new house, the windows are so small they look like gun slits. The people who bought the house from him are very nice, and I'm sure they didn't realize what a psycho he is. When I complained, well really screamed at him, when he staked out a deer in my back field. it was dead, to attract coyotes he said _I guess you are not from around here". I told him I have lived in Maine almost all my life, and that certainly was nos excuse for him to assume he could trespass at will and set traps on my land, And to stay the hell away from my property. He grinned at me and said "You didn't want me to bait for coyotes?. If he had asked I would have told him no. His favorite past time is to shoot into the woods with his high powered rifle, and those bullets travel great distances. Another neighbor down the road informed me that he has seen Tim at dusk lying down in my hayfield with his hunter's vest to shoot animals at dusk. At least he hasn't got as much ammo money as he used to, at the moment anyway. This was my mother's house. There is a big pond next to the house and one day she looked out to see a canoe load of yahoos in the pond. It was Tim and some hunting buddies, he told my mother since they were neighbors he figured it would be fine for him to come over and use the pond. My mother told him off, but she wasn't here all year long, so in the winter Tim felt free to trespass and shoot at will. He cut down trees so he could snomobile easier...

Well there, more info than you needed, but I know how irritating horrible neighbors can be. P{oor Violet, and poor Jonni, Maybe the granddaughter's car will blow up. It is a such a shame.

Maybe there will be a miracle, maybe she
ll run off with some bar Rpmeo.....

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  07:38:06 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh Jonni! That is so horrible! Poor you and poor little Violet!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  07:38:14 AM  Show Profile
Jonni..That is pathetic.. There are some awfully cute places for sale here in Georgetown on 1+ acres..with plenty of privacy..Wontcha be my neighbor?
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  07:51:05 AM  Show Profile
Oh gosh, Karin! I think you've got it much worse than me!!! She's just a stupid barfly, and you've got a total gun nut of the worst kind. He sounds totally menacing AND ignorant, and unfortunately, much like the way I've seen Mainer's depicted in parodies. The image of his "new" house with the windows so small they look like gun slits made me laugh, and then made my blood chill. I don't even know what he looks like, but I feel I KNOW his type, for sure.

I tell you what, though, I'd I'd call the game warden each and every time he was on my property. I'm sure he hunts out of season, too...that would be poaching. Hunting has its place, I know, but not on any land I would own!!!

As far as our barfly, she's the scariest, hardest looking woman you've ever seen (she recently cut her hair in a "high and tight" like a military man and dyed it bleach blond and now looks even more like a dude...and I've been crossing fingers for YEARS that she would marry one of those "romeo's" and move out, but she knows she's got a sure thing with Mrs. W, and is hanging around like a vulture.

Bummer, Karin. I know they're out there, but why do they have to live next door?

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  07:56:17 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Alee and yes, Lisa, I'd LOVE to be your neighbor! I know these types of folks are everywhere (poor Karin!) but after so long you just want to burn their houses down--knowing Mrs. W, though, she surely has insurance and it would be rebuilt bigger, so as to hold MORE of the bumpkins.

Violet was just sooo upset. It took me forever to get her to stop crying from the dog barking--it was really startling, and after that she was just exhausted. One dog barking intermittently, no big deal, but 3 big dogs barking rapid fire in their "I'll kill you if you come in" mode is too much for little ears to take.

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  08:14:14 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Jonni- do you have one of the Mama Bear teddy bears? They have a recording of a heart beat in utero. They are awesome and very soothing. Nora is 2.5 and still likes to listen to hers! To be honest- if I am kindof tired it will put ME to sleep! You can get them at Wal-Mart and such for around $15. That might be one of those things that is nice to have on hand- especially for nights when the neighbors are especially loud.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  08:21:53 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
We had some similiar neighbors in CA. We lived in a duplex and everytime the SLAMMED the doors, inside or out, we heard it. They also had an annoying alarm that would go off and ring for HOURS. I got a little fan for Charlie's room for white noise, darkening shades and I put him on the opposite wall of them. I also hung a HUGE quilt on that wall and the deadened the noise a bit. They had a 5 year old who would stay up until all hours of the night SCREAMING from sheer exhaustion and lacking of parenting. Then we had the landlady who lived next door, who would knock on our door at 7 in the morning to ask me something stupid or just "chat" because she was bored and wanted the gossip. I finally hung a sign that said "Do not knock or ring unless door is open. I am either sleeping, working on college and just don't want to be annoyed." That got my point across!!! ; )

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  08:31:18 AM  Show Profile
Honestly, I would just start calling the cops on them. You're not doing Mrs. W any favors by letting these people leach off her and cause trouble. I'm sure she would never call anyone on them or turn them away (they're her family) but she might secretly be grateful to be rid of them. Nobody has to know it was you, right? Could be anyone in the neighborhood.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  08:34:46 AM  Show Profile
We have a sleep sheep, Alee, and it does work, but last night she was too upset and the only thing that worked was pacing the floors and holding her tight. I turn it on when they have their parties on the porch (when the family comes up from the hills and they stand out and smoke till the cows come home--my favorite is when they all start coughing and hacking together.)
Good times.

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  08:39:49 AM  Show Profile
Amie, you're right about all of it. And you know what? They'd think it was T__, our neighbor across the street who has, in the past, called the police and code enforcement on them a number of times. Last time he called C.E., it was because she'd decided to have an (unadvertised) yardsale on Mother's Day (Sunday) and left the crap that didn't sell (um, all of it!) out in the front yard, like a 1980's electronics graveyard (hifi anyone???), for two solid weeks, rain and shine. She was mad about being told they would get a fine...

There used to be other family members that came into look in on Mrs. W because I think they felt that D___ couldn't be trusted, and they just don't come anymore--I guess they've given up and that's troubling to me.

Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  09:03:23 AM  Show Profile
Jonni, Elder abuse is a comman problem all over, call the local social services and tell them what is going on over there to Mrs W, they will come out and interveiw her and the trash and if they determine any form of abuse, including monetary, they will bring the case to the D.A..
Karin, my thoughts for you are, set a few traps for him, legholds come to mind, but be very careful, this guy could turn on anyone at anytime, and since hes a "hunter", that could make him one dangerous man.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  10:26:16 AM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
You poor girls. Jonni- I agree with the others. Mrs. W seems like a very sweet lady that wouldn't turn away a soul in need. But maybe secretly she wishes she could. You can go to social services and let them know everything that is going on and they have to keep it totally annoymous.

Karin- You're neighbor sounds scary. I would hate living next to him. My first thought was an electric fence but I'm sure that way too expensive.

Melanie

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/

Swap Blog~ http://mels-swapshop.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  10:36:35 AM  Show Profile
Wow, Jonni. What a mess. Sounds like those darned ole Bumpasses (?) in the Christmas Story movie but 10 times worse. Poor thing. I'm so glad we don't have neighbors out here to worry about. And that poor little old lady. I bet she's just really embarrassed. She's probably afraid of them herself and can't do a thing about it. Maybe she needs help tp get them away from her.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  10:38:03 AM  Show Profile
OH MY!!!!
Jonni, no way would I have gone out to help it start its car! Does that woman have any morals, guess not. I feel sorry for the elderly lady. What a mess! If that continued, I would surely report the whole gang. Then, I'd go get that poor Mrs. W.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  12:04:12 PM  Show Profile
I really do feel badly for Mrs W....it could be that she doesn't want to see them turned out, but honestly, in some regards, I don't think she's really all that with it anymore. She seems disassociated when I see her, and her eyesight is terrible. She really looked rather haggard the last time she came to the door. I will soul search this weekend and see if I want to open a can of worms...

Go to Top of Page

RuralSuburbia
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

Leslie
Northern CA
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  12:39:49 PM  Show Profile
From experience, it takes more than a couple of calls to the cops for them to keep a record of the address and occupants. So the more calls, the better. AND you can make them annonymously, you don't have to give your name, just say that you are a neighbor. And you can add 'possible elder abuse' and see if that doesn't speed things along. The whole situation scares me on yours and Mrs. W's behalf!

Don't answer the door after dark, even if you know who it is. Just call the police!

*I've got stars in my eyes and exactly $1 in my pocket!*
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  4:44:04 PM  Show Profile
You will be doing Mrs W a big favor. I would keep calling annonymously. Everyday if needed. You have a baby that needs to be protected from these people and Mrs.W needs to be protected as well.

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  6:55:21 PM  Show Profile
Jonni:
Keep us posted. I've thought about your neighbor, Mrs. W, all day today.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  05:41:59 AM  Show Profile
Oh, dear. Poor Mrs. W. It's so hard to get old. My grandparents are just barely hanging on now in their own home.

Here's a thought though...if she needs to move to an assisted living facility for her last years, that means the house will have to be sold to pay for it. In other words, no grand-daughter inheriting it.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  06:12:03 AM  Show Profile
Well, things were a bit tense over the weekend...and each and every night (at around 7:00 pm) they started working on that blasted car! I just tried to stay in, but that's not fair because it was PERFECT weather, and the garden was calling me. The garden is on the side of the house, and I have to walk by them to get to it. I just need to remember that I'm an adult, too, and their behaviors are what caused this rift.

A few years back, they started getting the house together (that's when all the "carpenters" started coming and robbed poor Mrs. W.--they even took the toilet) so Mrs. W. could go into an assisted living facility...but she through a big stinkin' fit and wouldn't go. She is of that old country stock, and they pass at home, you know? But, she is failing--she is really blind at this point, and frail, and I know she can't keep track of homelife. A few times last summer, I saw smoke pouring out the front door because she'd started something on the stove and fell asleep, almost burning the house down. I'm wondering where the monthly check goes...who cashes it?

And, this weekend the underfed dog was back (a white husky mix), tied to the porch, howling all weekend, slinking away when people approached. No water, no food. That drives MY dogs nuts, his yowling, and chain rattling. They know he's out there and simply can't stand it. I feel exactly the same.

I talked with Justin and he thought that maybe calling Senior Services wasn't a bad idea. Who knows, maybe they're just idiots, but they take care of her? I don't know, but I DEFINITELY don't like the group that the son is hanging around with, and the use of the van in the back. I really do worry for Violet's safety, and as she grows, I want to feel comfortable that she can play in her yard without concern. And, another neighbor, on the other side, has commented on the van as well, so I'm not the only one, I guess.

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  07:29:24 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Jonni- did you call the animal cops to come seize the dog? You might want to call to let them know what the situation is so next time you see it, they will already have a report on file?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  07:42:49 AM  Show Profile
I have called on them before. For whatever reason, they always get the dog back. Justin planned on calling today...as did the other 2 neighbors across the street. Bless him, he keeps everyone awake with his howling, and I feel so terrible for him. He's nothing but skin and bones (I'm fairly certain it's a combination of lack of food and worms). She told me once that she gave him some sort of vinegar for worms. I just looked at her like she had 3 heads. How about a simple worming medicine?

Go to Top of Page

naturemaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

2569 Posts

Connie - Farmgirl #673
Hoosick Falls NY
USA
2569 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  3:30:20 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by FebruaryViolet

My next door neighbor is an elderly woman who is 89 years old...she and her family come from a very rural part of the state, and well, they live in a manner in which most of us don't, and most people in the neighborhood steer clear of them because they're considered "white trash"...But, my neighbor, Mrs. W? I adore her...and I would never do anything to upset her, but the primary reason she's obtained this reputation is because her granddaughter (44) and great-grandson (16--who dropped out of school this year) descend on her property a hundred times a year to live with her (everytime they get evicted), everytime she breaks up with a man, everytime she goes off her meds (she's a paranoid schizophrenic and bi-polar). They don't work, they just sponge off old Mrs. W.

I've always been kind to them because of my fondness for Mrs. W., and believe me, it's DIFFICULT--there's a constant array of deadbeat men she brings home (most of whom leer at me from the car, because for some reason they're not brought inside); they have a broken down (vulgarly spraypainted) 1970's era van in the backyard that the boy and his friends use for a stoner clubhouse; she mows the grass at 11:30 pm with a TRACTOR when she's in one of her "up" modes; she's always bringing undesirable "handymen" (that she's met at the bar) to the house to "fix it up" so Mrs. W. can stay there, but it always results in some calamity of robbery or fraud. One group even stole our brand new metal ladder we had purchased with some of our wedding money. I've never said anything because of Mrs. W. Everytime they move back to Mrs. W's home, they have some poor neglected animal that they tie up to the porch for days on end without water or food. Now, I have called animal control on them, because that is something I WILL NOT stand for. This has been going on since I moved there in 1998.

So, I'm giving background information to hopefully convey my level of frustration...We've been working to try to get Violet on a sleeping schedule because she's a nightowl, but is often so tired that tirades ensue and it can be very difficult to get her down at night, resulting in bedtimes as late as 1 am. I've done the same routine each night this week with much success, she's in bed by 9:00 or around there, and we have some time to ourselves and she, bless her, is well rested! But LAST NIGHT, after our bath, book, and bottle, just after I finished rocking and singing her to a nice sleep, I put her in the crib (looked at the clock, whew! 10:15) when this horrible cacophony of dog barking errupted (I have 3 really BIG dogs, and one small-ish dog), which scared both Violet and I to death, and she immediately started that "scared" screaming cry that babies get when frightened, I fell over some toys because we were in the dark, and I grabbed her up because I heard this KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK on our front door. I could not believe my eyes. There stood the granddaughter, cigarette in hand, "decked out", and started talking, rapid-fire fashion, that she needed me to "come watch her start her car because she's been working on the electrical system and wanted to make sure it didn't catch fire." No attention was paid to the screaming baby in my arms, or the angry look on my face. I said, "D_______, she was sleeping. You woke her up!!" Then, instead of saying, "oh my gosh, it's late, isn't it? I'm really sorry..." She said, "well, I don't have anyone to look at this car, and I don't want it to blow up or something, and ruin the engine. I guess I'm sorry I asked YOU!!" So I followed her out to the car yelling, with my baby in my arms, "you're sorry you ASKED me???? How about, you're sorry for waking my little girl and causing total chaos in my household!!!" But absolutely NO notice or admission of anything like that. She just kept yammering away that noone else could help her and she just wanted to make sure she didn't ruin her engine. The grandson recently totalled Mrs. W.'s 2003 Dodge Caravan and bought this beater to replace it.

So, at 12:10 am, when Violet was so tired she couldn't stop screaming and crying, I decided I was going to go over there and knock on the door to show her what she'd done--to say, "congratulations. This is what you've accomplished. Don't EVER come to my door after dark again!!!" But the car was gone. She was gone--to the bar. How convenient.

My poor little girl and I were awake MUCH longer than we needed to be, and she was tying one on at the local watering hole. That's why getting the car fixed was so freakin' important to her!!!

Here's the rub...when Mrs. W passes away, I just know they're going to get the house....it will be at that time my gloves come off.

I would tell her not to come over after a certain hour, period, or you can post a sign on the door.
Connie

www.NatureMaiden.com -Handcrafted Bath & Body Products that I make myself- including soaps, salves, lotion bars, lip balms, natural deodorants, body sprays, hydrosols, salt scrubs, and MUCH more!

http://site.naturemaiden.com/blog1/ (Business Blog)

http://naturemaidenbathbodyproduct.blogspot.com (Personal Blog)

Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  01:36:29 AM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
Jonni, definitely call Human Services and express your concerns. You can do this anonymously and they are required by law to do an investigation. Notify the police EVERY time you see the stoners heading for the van. Hopefully, they'll stake it out and bust the lot of them. As for the bipolar barfly next time she mows her lawn with a tractor at 11 o'clock at night call the cops. She is disturbing the peace. Make life as miserable for them as they've made it for you and maybe they'll move to another neighborhood. Just be careful about doing it anonymously and don't even tell neighbors you're friendly with as well, you never know who might accidentally say something to them that would give you away. Make sure your vehicles are parked in the garage (locked) so they can't vandalize them in retaliation, just in case they take a guess that you've reported them. Good Luck!
Someone else mentioned about the guy with the guns. Holy cow. Total nutcase. Don't set traps for him to get caught in on your property as he sounds like the type who would probably sue your tail off even though he was trespassing and he'd win. Call the DNR every chance you get to report him for poaching and the cops to report him for trespassing. Hopefully a couple stiff fines he'll decide the hunting is too expensive on your land.

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://fantasm01.imagekind.com/
http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  03:28:32 AM  Show Profile
At least in this state if you can prove an animal has no shelter food and water, animal comtrol will take it. You would think the emaciated state would be a huge tip-off.

As for the neighbors, I'd seriously start saving your pennies and start looking for your slice of heaven elsewhere. I'm afraid too that when Mrs. W passes the roof WILL come off and her kin folk will run rack 'n ruin. People are so ignorant sometimes, thoughtless and unaware.

If its after dark ,I'd not even bother opening the door.

And,maybe you could try going to the poilce station during the day, with your baby and explain the whole situation. Maybe find an older cop who perhaps has had children and would understand.

I'm so sorry.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic My neighbors are THEIVES..UPDATE on Mrs.W! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page