Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Lozz
Robson Raspberry B.C.
Canada
7 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  12:51:10 PM  Show Profile
Hello,

I am overly excited about picking up my 8 week old blue heeler puppy next weekend. I am little nervous about training the little fellow though. Ive had 2 blue heelers before but I was little and my mum did the training, i just did the cuddling. This will be my very first puppy and I want him to be trained well, very well.

I have the entire summer off so I have no time constraints which is great. I know to teach basic commands first.. and I really want to use hand commands and whisling. I am at a bit of a loss though on how to train a dog to be a 'farm dog'...? and outdoor dog.. How do I get him used to my property border so he doesnt get lost in the bushland? What kinds of 'working jobs' could i give a puppy? Blue heelers are working dogs but i certainly dont have any cattle or sheep he can chase around! Ive been told that if you teach blue heelers to fetch a ball or a frisbee then they will drive you nuts sitting at your feet waiting for you to throw every minute of the day. I wonder what else there is...?!

Just looking for some ideas or suggestions, I imagine most farms to have one dog, if not 3.
Lozz

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  1:11:06 PM  Show Profile
Well, you are certainly taking on quite a challenge. I trained all the golden retrievers we've had, but heelers are a whole other ball wax. Our goldies are smart, but your heeler pup will be even smarter. Do you have any one around you who is experienced in training cattle dogs? Or an obedience trainer who lives in your area? You might consult with someone who has experience specifically with heelers. Intelligent dogs are both the easiest and hardest to train.

I do have a golden who is a born ball chaser. He carries his red ball around all the time. We throw it for him several times each day, but have taught him not to pester us with it. I feel certain you could teach your dog the same way.

Farmgirl # 639
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  1:32:00 PM  Show Profile
They love and do very well at agility contests, and most of the obstacles you can make yourself, and what you can't, beg, borrow or buy. Working breeds need to stay busy or they become destructive when bored. Congradulations and good luck.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  8:39:00 PM  Show Profile
Lozz:
Good luck with your training. I bet you do a great job. Keep us posted on the progress.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  02:18:14 AM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
I had to smile at the frisbee comment because my brother has a blue heeler named Jett who absolutely loves to play ball or catch a frisbee and yep, she'll drive anyone around her crazy when she wants to play. She grabs her frisbee or ball and drops it at the feet of visitors to let them know she would like to play NOW...LOL Jett also is a motorcycle riding dog with her own sidecar on my SIL's Harley and she has her own goggles and leather jacket. Obviously she's not a farm dog but lives in a small town. They keep her entertained and she is a very loving animal. They own their own business and all the townspeople know her by name as she goes to work with her Mom & Dad :) Needless to say my brother and SIL have no children. Jett is their "daughter". Blue heelers are great dogs :) Good luck with your new puppy. I'm sure you'll do a great job with him.

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://fantasm01.imagekind.com/
http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  05:17:11 AM  Show Profile
I am sure you will do great. Just remember the cute things they do as puppies, aren't so cute when they are older. BE the Pack Leader.

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic puppy training 1,2,3 Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page