peachy
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Melissa
Fennville MI
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  11:14:51 AM  Show Profile  Send peachy a Yahoo! Message
I'm finally able to vent alittle, hope ya all don't mind. I have a whole hen house of banty hens and they lay such tiny eggs that the dh and I went to Tractor Supply this spring and bought some chicks (I forgot the name) that would lay bigger eggs...these were my babies, I kept them in my bathtub for the first couple days and then moved them into our cool basement in a big bunny cage and eventually if you've seen my blog (not updated cuz I've been sick!) moved them to my new barn. Last week, sick with the flu but determined to give my lil chicks a bigger home until I got their hen house set up I dragged a big horse trough over to the barn with fresh bedding and ready to pop them in. I opened the door and something weaseled it's way through the back of the bunny cage (very little room because it was all snapped and locked shut) and devoured all 8 of my chicks, leaving 3 dead in the cage. I was horrified (and yelling obsenities that hopefully the neighbors didn't hear! What could have done this and now what do I do? Between my bantys and those I was planning on having enough eggs to feed us all year! Tractor Supply doesn't have them anymore and I haven't seen them for sale anywhere! I just had to vent...sorry it's so long but thanks for listening!

Melissa
Farmgirl Sister #360

http://oldethymecountrybarn.blogspot.com/

Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain!

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  1:07:10 PM  Show Profile
Oh Melissa: I am so sorry about your baby chicks. Just vent away , there is always someone listening. Take care.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  1:13:03 PM  Show Profile
It was probally a rat, they love chicks, also ground squirels. I have lost chicks and bunnies in the past to these varmints. My suggestion is to hang your cages from the rafters with cables, put baffles on the cables otherwise the varmints will climb up and down them. Also you can make cages out of welded wire mesh, 1/4 x 1/4 in openings, or cover exsiting cages with it.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  3:26:36 PM  Show Profile
It may very well have been a weasel--I know a woman who lost twenty hens in one night to one of these blood-thirsty varmints. It didn't even eat them, just killed for the taste of blood. I'm sorry about your loss, maybe you can order some more chicks through the mail? If it was a weasel, they are very sneaky. Maybe a terrier type dog, like a Jack Russell, would keep varmints at bay.
Cindy

"Dog is my co-pilot"

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

peachy
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Melissa
Fennville MI
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  4:08:38 PM  Show Profile  Send peachy a Yahoo! Message
Thank you for letting me vent and your responses! I just hated to see that and whatever critter it was did leave 3 killed but didn't eat them! Where can I get more through the mail? Anyone have any suggestions?

Melissa
Farmgirl Sister #360

Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  5:44:21 PM  Show Profile
murraymcmurray.com

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

peachy
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Melissa
Fennville MI
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  9:19:02 PM  Show Profile  Send peachy a Yahoo! Message
Thank you Teresa, I'm heading there now!

Melissa
Farmgirl Sister #360

Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2009 :  05:15:46 AM  Show Profile
We got four really cute mille fleur bantam chicks from some 4Hers to grow up to keep our remaining 3 silkies warm in the winter. . .raised them really nicely in the dining room in a box--they got so used to the kiddos holding them and were looking really pretty. My husband decided he was sick of them in the dining room so we moved them out to the silkie cage where they were fine for a few days, but then the other morning they were gone, completely, with feathers outside the cage--we have 1" wire fencing in the run and apparently they were sleeping outside, not in the coop, and raccoons reached in and got them and somehow pulled them through those little openings. They were each about the size of 2 of my fists. I don't know how they managed to get them through, but my husb. was really upset--apparently he DID like those little chickies too :)
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2009 :  05:19:31 AM  Show Profile
Melissa - There are several good chicken places you can order your chicks from. But, is there a co-op or farm supply store close to you? A lot of them around here will special order for you. One of our local stores keeps them in stock -- the only drawback there is, you never know what James will order. Still, we get all ours from him now. Hope you get some more soon! I can feel your pain, though. We just lost three of our baby keets. I hate it when I lose a baby!

from the hearts of paradise...
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2009 :  07:06:04 AM  Show Profile
Oh, how I hated reading this. We just this morning, put our 2 week old babies out in their pen. Very tightly fenced with a roof. Crossing fingers that they don't get ate up by a varmit. We had them in a stock tank in the potting shed and it got sooooo hot in there we had no choice but to move them where they had more ventilation. I know I'll be out there a dozen times tonight checking on them. Our biggest problem is coons. They can get their little hands through the wire and will eat them feathers and all. Melissa, Murry is still shipping. That is where I got mine. I think they ship until Sept or so.
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2009 :  07:14:46 AM  Show Profile
Why does everyone suggest Murray? Meyer Hatchery is closer and we hatch thru October. What are you looking for? I may be able to take it home, nurse it until you can come get it. I'd be more than happy to do that for you. (I work at Meyer Hatchery and you're probably getting our chicks anyhow.) We also have a corporate account with TSC and Rural King, so those are our chicks too.
Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
http://harvestthyme.blogspot.com
~the only thing for certain, is uncertainty~

Edited by - deeredawn on Jun 23 2009 07:16:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2009 :  08:08:38 AM  Show Profile
Dawn, I suggested Murray, cause I have done business with them forever, and sorry to say, I have never heard of Meyer.

Go to Top of Page

peachy
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Melissa
Fennville MI
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2009 :  08:44:41 AM  Show Profile  Send peachy a Yahoo! Message
Oh Dawn that is so sweet, I'm going to go check out both websites! I cannot for the life of me remember the name of the ones I had (feeling like a bad mom!)...in my chicken stupidity I just asked the wonderful woman at TSC which ones laid bigger eggs than my lil bantys LOL:) Does Meyer Hatchery ship?

Sheila, I'm so sorry to hear about your little peeps, it sounds like the same varmit is traveling through the states attacking all of us and mine were taken the same way as yours...hhhmmm racoon - perhaps we need coon dogs, eh?

Belle, I'm gonna start praying yours are going to stay safe! I had one hatched last year, her "mom" Scarlet sat and sat on her eggs until one day my daughter found them so excited and put them all in the frige! Oh my! I told her to quick put them back, this poor hen wants a baby and low and behold our "peeps" was hatched! They had free run of the place and roosted in our barn until one day something got Scarlet, I quick took peeps in and put her in a nice spot in the basement, fed, held, carried her around like one of my own all winter long! Then moved her to a strong but small wood coop with wire and off the ground...a few weeks ago I finally opened the door and she's fell in love for the first time with "Reeses" and running all around the yard happy as can be! I so hope nothing gets to her! My dh laughs at me sitting when I'm sitting on the wood pile with peeps pearched right next to me!

Melissa
Farmgirl Sister #360

Go to Top of Page

peachy
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Melissa
Fennville MI
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2009 :  08:49:06 AM  Show Profile  Send peachy a Yahoo! Message
Julie, I'm sorry about yours too! And again in my chicken knowledge stupidity...what are keets? I just want some nice, friendly (ha, when you're taking their eggs!) hens that will lay bigger eggs so it doesn't take 5 to make an omelet:)

You know, my ducks were in the same barn when this all happened - whatever is was likes chickens and didn't touch the ducks or should I be worried about them too?!

Melissa
Farmgirl Sister #360

Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2009 :  08:56:04 AM  Show Profile
Melissa, anything that eats chickens, will also eat ducks.

Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2009 :  10:18:26 AM  Show Profile
FYI--in response to Deeredawn, we have ordered from Meyer several times and have always been very pleased with their chicks. We tell everyone we know about them :) so you can definitely order with confidence from them!! (it's easier to request a catalog from them and order over the phone than to try to do it online, in my opinion)
Go to Top of Page

peachy
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Melissa
Fennville MI
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2009 :  3:07:52 PM  Show Profile  Send peachy a Yahoo! Message
I'll start ordering catalogs and now after reading Teresas' response I better get out there and try to protect my ducks!

Melissa
Farmgirl Sister #360

Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2009 :  3:12:17 PM  Show Profile
I am almost certain that a weasel. They can squeeze through just about anything. I have known them to kill bunnies also. That happened to us. I am so sorry that must of been so sad.

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

peachy
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Melissa
Fennville MI
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2009 :  6:46:38 PM  Show Profile  Send peachy a Yahoo! Message
Oh no...now I have to start setting up a night shift watch to look after my ducks and bunnies! I'm wondering now if I should reinforce the fence around my hen house better...if they could get through my little chick cage I bet they could get through their fence too! Uugghhh! Darn critter varmits!

Melissa
Farmgirl Sister #360

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2009 :  7:01:22 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Peachy- So sorry you lost your chicks! Do you have an outside dog? Our Aussie mix (pound pup) not only is an excellent mouser (She digs up their nests!) but she also chases away random things that get in our yard. One night she woke me up and drug me outside because a skunk was walking through our yard!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2009 :  7:42:42 PM  Show Profile
I just order through Ideal and they said they would send them out on the 17th and I got them on the 18th. they are in
texas and I am in michigan so I am putting their name into the pot of which ones you can check out too. I got americanas and I had to order 10 so I got 8 hens and 2 roosters. I don't know where fenville is in relationship to Atlanta MIchigan where I am but I would certainly be willing to give you a few. They lay regular size eggs and they are blueish green color. they call them easter eggers. I also have some black astroloups that lay big brown eggs and they live nicely through the winter and I got them at tractor supply last hear. I don't know if there is a Bosman mercantile by you but the last time I was there they still had chicks. Hope any of this helps. If you would like a few just give me an email. from one michigan farm girl to another!!! hehe

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2009 :  7:47:46 PM  Show Profile
I just mapquested where fennville was and saw that you live on the other side of the state from me. If you will be at the fiber festival in august I could always bring you some then. they even will be bigger and maybe not so varment prone. Also, melissa in October in Frankenmuth there is a Fowl Festival where they have every chicken , duck and anything else considered a fowl. they show them and sell them so that might just be fun for you to go too...I will be there too I am planning on it anyway...

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  07:43:19 AM  Show Profile
Beverly, I love black astroloups. We had them one year and when summer hit, they started dying one at a time. They couldn't stand the heat. I guess the black feathers absorbed the heat. Since then we have stuck with Rhode Island Reds. This year we added some Buffs and Barred Rocks. I hope they do well in this heat.

Ole Ron checked on our babies early this a.m. They all are doing fine. Either the coons haven't found them or can't get to them.

I looked at Meyer Hatchery web site. Will order their catalog. I think McMurry is a lot closer. Better for shipping but I'd be surprised if they all came from Iowa. This years babies were hatched on a Fri (I think) The P.O. called Sun morning early and we had to go pick them up so they didn't have to stay in their box until Mon when they would be delivered to our local P.O.
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2009 :  09:11:02 AM  Show Profile
Ideal only ships mon thru wed so that staying on a sunday never happens. Good thing your PO called ya. Mine all made it and are doing really well. they are starting to get their feathers. so cute. I had a few of these before and one jumped out of the brooder and the dog got it. Learned my lesson there, I made a chicken wire top. Then when the other 2 where old enough to go outside they were just great chickens. My grandkids could walk right up to them and pick them up and carry them around the yard. I just love those 2 and well a hawk or eagle got one. cause all we found were feathers and nothing else. and the other one our other dog got. I was really upset cause they were so friendly. I am hopeing that a couple from this batch are like this since I order the same kind and from the same place. Keep your fingers crossed. I like my black astroloups too. so far they have made it through the winter , so we will see about the summer. They were little last summer so we will have to see about the heat this year. I have plenty of shade for them so hopefully that won't happen. Good luck to all of you with all of your chickens. I did not think I would like having them but I really like them.

Go to Top of Page

peachy
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Melissa
Fennville MI
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  2:30:32 PM  Show Profile  Send peachy a Yahoo! Message
Oh Beverley, you are so sweet! I'm trying to plan on going to the fiberfest in August - is there a date yet? I'm alittle behind after starting another job and trying to juggle everything or I would have posted sooner! sorry:( I'm going to look into Ideal, do they have a website? I just moved my ducks outside so keep your fingers crossed they stay safe! They grow so fast they were outgrowing their "spot"!!! LOL

Melissa
Farmgirl Sister #360

Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2009 :  03:25:56 AM  Show Profile
SNAKE!

We had one get in and try to eat some mid-sized juvenile chicks.

Since the others disapeared w/o a feather in sight and no blood, may have been a snake. How agravating!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Newest baby chicks - gone! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page