kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  12:12:23 PM  Show Profile
It seems to be the only room in the house I cannot keep totally spotlessly clean. There are always dishes and stuff draining in the sink, even though I have a dishwasher. There are just certain things that won't go in there. The counters are always cluttered up with all manner of things. I always have animal stuff all over, like syringes, medicine, dog biscuits. Then during milking season, which is 10 months out of the year, there is milking equipment in the sink. Plus gallon jugs and lids all over, too. During garden season, which is 10 months out of the year it seems, there are baskets of veggies or fruit all over the floor or counters. Plus canning stuff when that time comes around.

And then there are those certain little things that just seem to stay on the counters for months at a time and I wonder why are they still there? I can clean off a counter and 5 minutes later, I kid you not, it's fulled up again. How does it happen? Plus there are shoes all over the floor, too. I also keep 2 folgers coffee containers on the counter that I put scraps in.

It just always seems to be cluttered in my kitchen. I love my kitchen, but please! Anyone else have this problem?

Kris

Happiness is simple.

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  12:20:16 PM  Show Profile
Yep...but I have the smallest kitchen known to man, and it just gets cluttered when I bring in a magazine. But, the counters (and the small kitchen table) seem to just draw items that can be stacked (or not, and then tumble).

We don't have a dishwasher, so there really isn't any way to manage the constant washing/drying/put away aspect of dishes, especially when I'm doing them on my way out the door to go to work and won't look at them again until I come home at 6:00.

The floor is my nemsis. I hate it. 4 dogs, 2 cats, garden boots, mud/dog hair/food scraps, water sloshed from the dog bowl, cat crunchies from where I've kicked the bowl for the THIRD time...it gets OLD. But what do you do with that stuff in the smallest kitchen known to man?

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Laila
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Laila
Kutztown PA
USA
273 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  12:21:03 PM  Show Profile
Yes, that is my house too. I have become resigned to the fact that when you live on a farm this happens. I sometimes have nuts, bolts, tractor parts, etc. on my counter or island. I used to get upset but now I just go with the flow.

Laila
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  1:27:25 PM  Show Profile
My kitchen is still a mess and I have a canning kitchen seperate from the house. My sign hanging in my kitchen says " My house is messy enough to be happy, and clean enough to be healthy", its alot neater in the winter, my whole house is, lol.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  1:41:20 PM  Show Profile
Jonni, you must realize that most kitchens were designed by men that never use them. If your kitchen is small, mine is right next to it. I call it a one-butt kitchen. Only room for one person in there at a time. It is 11 feet long and 7 feet wide wall to wall. I'm ready for a redesign I think it's called a galley kitchen.

Betty in Pasco

Edited by - Betty J. on Jul 16 2009 1:41:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  1:59:23 PM  Show Profile
Betty, you and I DO have the same kitchen--mine was an add-on in the late 40's, and it isn't big enough to cuss a cat in (as my Great Gran would have said!). I think my measurement might just be the same, but I'm going home to see :)

Mine is what they call a galley..it does have an "L" for the sink, but a lot of good that does. It actually eliminates useful space, really. Would have been better if they'd gon around the room...no matter what way I look at it, it's frustrating. The only thing we could actually do is knock out the front wall and add a step down to a a sweet little glassed in dining area, like an all weather sunroom with french doors leading to and from the kitchen....can you tell I've been thinking about this for a while?

Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  3:10:18 PM  Show Profile
I keep my kitchen pretty clean EXCEPT the stovetop. It really is an issue. Food drips on there and I just leave it. I know it is gonna get worse but I hate to clean it. I have a gas range with these HEAVY iron grates. They are always really hot and you have to take them off to wipe the top. It is such a hassel. I even bought a big wooden cutting board that I set over the top of it when people come over. I only clean it off every few weeks. I too have a small kitchen. The floor is about 5'x9'! I only have about 3' of usable counter space!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com

Edited by - willowtreecreek on Jul 16 2009 6:46:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  3:55:03 PM  Show Profile
I think mine is 12x8. I guess it's a galley, too. I don't like more than 3 people in there at a time but sometimes there's more with grands are around. One time I had 9 people in it. We were touching noses we were so close.

I never noticed it before and it could be because I always had countertop stoves, but this one I have now is at the corner by the door and there is always grease stains on the floor. Last Oct. while I was gone to Col. the girl that milked the goats had this kitchen spotless when I got home. Even scrubbed the floor and the grease stain was gone. It took awhile to realize what she had done. It was way nice. But back to normal by the next day. See, it just isn't worth the effort to clean too good.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1669 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1669 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  4:35:10 PM  Show Profile
I try to keep my kitchen clean, but it's hard to do that. With cooking or baking, rinsing off veggies and fruit. The kitchen table is always cluttered(thanks to hubby)but I clean it off everyday. you just kinda get used to it.
Laurie

suburban countrygirl at heart
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  8:06:27 PM  Show Profile
I have a white, ceramic tile floor in a farm kitchen. Need I say more? :)
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  04:23:26 AM  Show Profile
Jonni...how 'bout moving the cat/dog food to another location? I moved all of that stuff to the bathroom, including the litter box. saves me from knocking over the water as I used to always do

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"
farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  05:38:12 AM  Show Profile
Me, too, Melanie! I'm always stepping in that water bowl! Unfortunately, our bathroom is on the same scale as our kitchen--tiny! I was thinking I might get some elevated bowls for the dogs, to eliminate stuff just randomly placed on the floor (and out from underfoot). I will probably put the litter in the hallway closet so they can go "in private".

Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  08:12:08 AM  Show Profile
4ft wide walking area. The entire kitchen is 10 ft wide, 12 ft long. It is located exactly in the middle of the house. We have been her for 29 yrs. Two kids and 7 grandkids later, this is still the kitchen. I do all the canning and jelly making here. Baking ends up on the dining room. So I can roll out and cut, and lay out cookie sheets. The dining room is actually a spot just off the kitchen open to the living room. It's a funny little house, designed by the builder. At the time it was built the kitchen was called a "working kitchen" designed for a working couple who just came home for snacks and mixing drinks. lol. Guess they didn't see us coming! :)

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

2307 Posts

Julie
Medina ND
USA
2307 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  10:04:58 AM  Show Profile
Laila, does my husband come to your house too. It must be men everywhere who think that they have to leave all of thier days collection of stuff on the counter. I always get the response "so I know where it is", my thoughts are you have a barn, garage and shop, couldn't it live in one of those. I am remodeling our kitchen this fall and I asked the designer to put in a husband garage instead of an appliance garage, she looked at me a little funny but after I explained the problem she thought it was a great idea.

With the new day comes new strength and new thoughts.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  10:53:18 AM  Show Profile
Kristin:
Your kitchen sounds just like mine. I can clean the countertops and in five minutes they are back to clutter. LOL
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  5:26:02 PM  Show Profile
Right now I can't even see my counter. Any of them. Argh!!! It's so frustrating sometimes. Where does it all come from, anyway?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

palmettogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

571 Posts

sue
camden south carolina
USA
571 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  06:01:47 AM  Show Profile
my husband doesn't like clutter so he doesn't leave his stuff (nuts, bolts, screwdrivers and duct tape) on the counter....However, he just starts putting it in drawers. before you know it, there are several "junk drawers!" in the kitchen....oh, and sometimes in the living room and dining room, too!!
Go to Top of Page

Laila
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Laila
Kutztown PA
USA
273 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  1:13:49 PM  Show Profile
Julie,
Let me know if that works in your new kitchen. Sounds like a good idea.

Laila
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  03:01:10 AM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
Galley kitchen here too in my little old Victorian cottage. It's a whole whopping 15x8. No room for a table. Cupboards on one wall.....built in cupboard on the other and chimney, doorway and fridge. My youngest son gave me the gift of a 2 hr. consultation with an interior decorator for my birthday last April. I haven't put into motion all of what she said yet as we've been working on exterior projects but she gave me an idea of how to put my dishwasher (sitting in my garage for the past 2 yrs) into the built in cupboard. What colors to paint, what flooring to get. Take off upper cabinet doors. Cut off lower portion of upper cabinet near our entry so that it will match the cabinet on down at the opposite end of the wall and open up some more counter space for us. Told us to get a free standing pantry to sit by the fridge. Many great ideas. Now to find the time and money to do them all.

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://fantasm01.imagekind.com/
http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  05:56:32 AM  Show Profile
Cheryl, maybe that work could be the next birthday gift?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  05:59:04 AM  Show Profile
Cheryl, I've thought about taking off the upper cabinets, too, to create a more "open" space, but honestly, with 4 dogs and 2 cats, there's just too much hair/dust etc...and I'd have to rinse off every dish I pull out. I think I'm just going to have ours cut out and fitted with glass panels in the inset.

Go to Top of Page

Claude09647
True Blue Farmgirl

761 Posts

Claudia
Our Dairy Farm Pennsylvania
USA
761 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  5:27:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Claude09647 an AOL message
as far as the shoes, i keep alot of mine in an old basket. that way i can pile them up in that basket and they are not all over the place. Just to keep in thought.

"If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door."

http://claude09647.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  5:58:26 PM  Show Profile
This is one topic I should not have read. I just went in to see what all was on my cupboards. If I had not baked that banana cake this afternoon, it would not be too bad. I did get the dishes done up after I got it baked but they are not put away. So the dish drain is full, the cake is on the counter. On another counter is the flour, sugar and powdered sugar canister that I have not put away. On another counter is jars and bottles of stuff that I use while cooking. The butter dish is sitting out and an open jar of peanut butter. Get this, we LOST the lid. I told Ole Ron, eat fast or cover it with some plastic wrap. Well, it didn't get covered.
The floor is covered with produce. The table also. We just had room to put our plates when we ate supper. Guess I better go put something away.

Belle
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  3:22:38 PM  Show Profile
Some people have a knack at keeping things neat and orderly no matter how small the space. Others like me don't. Maybe your more like me, than the others. It is what it is. Enjoy it!!!

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  5:07:34 PM  Show Profile
I found the perfect solution to a clean kitchen. And dining room, too. Have a farmgirl get together at your house. I did yesterday and I cleaned like crazy for hours. It's still clean today and I made 9 dozen whole wheat rolls and 3 1/2 dozen zuchinni muffins to take to market today. All cleaned up. I am so proud of myself. But oh so tired!

I hope it stays clean til this weekend. My parents are coming up. But the grands are here, so we'll see.

I have no produce in my kitchen right now because I sold all mine that I took. I did buy a cantelpoe but it needs to go in the fridge because of the stinking fruit flies. Can't keep anything like that sitting out.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  06:53:05 AM  Show Profile
Did you clean for the farmgirls or did the farmgirls help you clean?? If they helped your welcomed anytime to my home. I often thought I would have a weed pulling party or a dusting party, I even mentioned it to a group of friends who thought it was a great idea but we never did it as were all so busy.

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic My Kitchen Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page