Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Kitchen Aid Food strainer attachment
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Kitchen Aid Food strainer attachment Next Topic  

mrsmoosepants
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Sara
Lackawanna NY
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  6:59:48 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone tried the Kitchen Aid stand mixer Food strainer attachment for tomato sauce and/or applesauce? How well does it work?

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  7:09:15 PM  Show Profile
I haven't yet, but my Mother-in-Law gave them to me last Christmas, so I'll find out in a couple weeks when my tomatoes get ripe. I have high hopes, though. Has to be better than the food mill or that cone shaped strainer I have been using! But I'll be watching this thread to see how everyone else likes them. Have you gotten them yet, or are you just doing some research?
Go to Top of Page

mrsmoosepants
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Sara
Lackawanna NY
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  7:46:24 PM  Show Profile
research. I have the meat grinder, sausage stuffer, ice cream maker, & pasta roller. So far everything I've used on it is awesome.

Not sure if I want to spend the money yet, as this is my first year really canning. And I've never made tomato sauce or applesauce from scratch. But everyone says it's a lot of work, and if it will make it easier, it would be worth it.
Go to Top of Page

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  03:48:15 AM  Show Profile
Well, if no one else here can fill us in, I will try it out in a few days when I get a couple more tomatoes and let you know. Mine came with the meat grinder but I haven't used that attachment yet. Glad to hear you like it so well.
Go to Top of Page

aunt boby
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

toby
polo illinois
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  07:37:39 AM  Show Profile
I could climb to the top of a mountain and shout the praises of my Kithen Aid!! I have put apples, grapes, plums and tomatoes thru the strainer attachment. This has made my life so much easier especially for the applesauce. Before it was a never ending process of peeling cutting and cooking down. Now I quarter the apples, boil the apples for a bit and drop them into the chute. It is a life saver!! The best part about it is I got the mixer and all the attachments for free. My MIL had a house fire and didn't want to mess with cleaning the mixer up.

POOR IS THE MAN WHO CANNOT ENJOY THE SIMPLE THINGS IN LIFE- anonymous
Go to Top of Page

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  08:02:16 AM  Show Profile
YAY!!! I had decided that I was going to put up alot of applesauce this year, so you have just made my day! So for the tomatoes, do you do anything besides coring before sending them through?

And congratulations on your free mixer! SCORE!
Go to Top of Page

Greyhound Mom
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

57 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  08:36:39 AM  Show Profile
I have 'everything' Kitchenaid in my kitchen...down to my Dishwasher and Refrigerator and I love them all! I have a huge crop of cabbage this year and was thinking of using the shredder for making sauerkraut. Has anyone tried it for that and does it work well? I have used it for coleslaw, but would want a longer cut. Any advise?

Barbara ~

"The earth does not belong to us; we belong to the earth, and we have a sacred duty to protect her and return thanks for the gifts of life."
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  08:53:08 AM  Show Profile
Toby,

Have you used it to puree cooked pumpkin?

I have also been trying to figure out whether to purchase this or ot. I would love to use it for apples, tomatoes and pumpkins.

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  08:57:59 AM  Show Profile
Wow, I hadn't considered it but will be now...I have the meat grinder and it is great. I keep raving to my husband about having my kitchenaid mixer (probably 7yrs now) and likening it to him always saying how easier a job is when you have the right tools...
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  09:10:35 AM  Show Profile
Seems the best market for this strainer is Amazon.com for $50. The rest want $120.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

aunt boby
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

toby
polo illinois
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  09:14:41 AM  Show Profile
I do blanch the tomatoes before sending them through. It seems to go smoother that way. I would like to know if anyone has done sauerkraut as well. I do kraut every other year and this is the year. I sliced by hand last time because I didn't like the way my food processor cut the cabbage. Would like to use my KitchenAid if the slicer works good.

Go to Top of Page

mrsmoosepants
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Sara
Lackawanna NY
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  1:46:39 PM  Show Profile
Well, I just ordered the strainer & larger food tray. I hope mine works as well as yours does.
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  7:16:30 PM  Show Profile
I am going to try the Kitchen Aid grater on my cabbage this year it does relly well on the zucs and the cucs for relish so thought I would give it a try.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4179 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4179 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  05:04:07 AM  Show Profile
I use my attachment for small batches of tomatoes, and apples. I have a squeezo, for when I am doing lots. The attachment works great, and I put my tomatoes through raw. Apples I soften up. I use the grater for all shreading jobs too.
I appreciate any short cuts, that make my life a bit easier!

MIchele.
Go to Top of Page

aunt boby
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

toby
polo illinois
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  06:13:58 AM  Show Profile
Michele- What is a squeezo and where did you get? Alot of the stores the ladies mention on here I've never heard of since we are all over the country. But we're neighbors so I'm sure we have the same stores.

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Kitchen Aid Food strainer attachment Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page