julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  08:08:28 AM  Show Profile
I'd like to invite each and every one of you to the HUGE pity party I'm throwing myself right now!

Golly, I haven't had a cold like this one in ages. I am completely not myself and I'm bumming! My nose thinks it's a faucet. My head thinks it needs to bang and pound like a drum. My throat has an attitude every time I swallow and my eyes itch like there's no tomorrow. I'm a mess...an utter mess and I'm totally feeling sorry for myself!

Now that I have that off my chest. Thank you by the way! Here's the REAL bummer. Yep, you got it. Aria. So far she isn't showing any signs of this crud but I guarantee you if it decides to hang around in her little body for a while it will mean a nice little stay in our local hospital. Trust me, I feel worse just thinking about it. She's been hospital free for 4 months, which ties her record!

I'm in a bit of a panic about it actually. Reo's birthday party is Saturday too. I ought to feel a whole lot better by then, but let me tell you, I'm not messing around. I'm hitting the over-the-counter drugs big time. I have day-quil on board and that seems to be helping. I KNOW I ought to be doing something more herbal, but I don't have the time and patience to figure it out. So here's what I need:

1. If you could keep us in the light I would greatly appreciate it. Especially Aria.

2. Give me some easy herbal remedies. I'm sure I have everything I need already.

3. I also could use a little "Mama TLC" that I'm not a horrible mama for jacking my kids into the tv for a good part of the day while I rest. They love it and we do manage to play plenty to. Still, 2 movies in a day feels like a lot! UGH.

Alrighty! thanks for letting me sputter this out! I feel a little better already! ~julia

So much better today!!
Yesterday was brutal with my little ones and me dealing with 101 temp. Wretched. I don't do well with fevers of any kind so by the time my husband got home, I was in bed, under the covers with an extra quilt in tears. This took him by complete surprise. Poor guy. Mind you, it was 90+ degree outside and yet I was freezing. So weird. He gave me some nice medicine and took the kids swimming and there I stayed until 5 30 this morning when I got up feeling much better. I did some typing and some serious sweating and haven't had a fever since! YEAH!!!

Sheesh, I feel like I'm sharing my old-biddy bowel movement stories here. Where are my boundaries? I think I was just shocked. I have been sick like that in 10 years and I can't remember the last time I sob cried...actually that isn't true...I've had a few of those this past year and half but always related to Aria, not me. I suppose feeling this gross gave me the slightest itsy-bitsy glimpse into what she deals with a lot.

She told me yesterday, "Mama, my heart is just cracked that you're sick." I know, I got completely choked up too. What a soul she is.

I've been steadily improving all day long..Yeah..all your wonderful wishes and prayers and good thoughts have helped so much. So far Aria remains great. Rianna is better too. Reo, well, he's under a blanket right now not feeling well. Keep him close. His birthday party is tomorrow!!

thanks gals...will keep you posted. ~julia

being simple to simply be
Farmgirl #30
www.julia42.etsy.com
www.about-aria.blogspot.com

Edited by - julia hayes on Jul 17 2009 4:53:17 PM

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  08:25:02 AM  Show Profile
Julia - I'm sorry that you're sick! I will be praying that you're better very soon and that Aria doesn't get it. I have it too only mine is all in my chest. My daughter had it last week and I got it from her! I spent the day in bed yesterday and hope to get something accomplished today but we'll see.

Handmade Soap & Lotion Bars http://www.therusticcottagebath.com

The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  08:35:09 AM  Show Profile
Oh Kay!! I spent Tuesday in bed. I can not remember the last time I did that! I was so thankful that my husband was home to be with the kids! I hope YOU feel better soon too!! Sending loads of love your way! ~julia

Farmgirl #30
www.julia42.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Tanna
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Tanna
Fort Worth TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  08:35:18 AM  Show Profile
Julia,

I'm sorry you're sick :( I hope you feel better soon. I also know how you feel about Aria. My Liam has spent lots of time in the hospital (his heart) and every time he gets sick he has little episodes with his heart and we could end up in the hospital. It is such a worry!

Take your echinacea, lots of vitamin C.

But here is the best thing if you have the supplies and DON'T Have High Blood Pressure. Get about a cup of sea salt, add a couple of drops of eucalyptus oil, camphor, and an oil from the mint family (wintergreen, peppermint, etc..). Mix it up add to a really warm bath and soak until you start to get too hot. Your really getting the blood to the surface and you'll get hot. Get out, wrap up, and have a cup of herbal tea and go to bed....

Also if you can use a neti pot. If you don't know how go to http://www.ehow.com/how_2193862_use-neti-pot.html?ref=fuel&utm_source=yahoo&utm_medium=ssp&utm_campaign=yssp_art
You don't have to have the neti pot either. You could use something like a paper cup.

Get well soon!
Tanna
Go to Top of Page

Tanna
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Tanna
Fort Worth TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  08:37:33 AM  Show Profile
OH I almost forgot the most important thing. Don't be so hard on yourself! I'm sure the kids are enjoying the movies and you need your rest. You'll get better faster so you can get back on track. If you push yourself you'll be sick longer and probably get an infection. You're being a great mom by taking care of yourself!

Lots of Love,
Tanna
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  08:39:54 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Elderberry, Echinacea and goldenseal!! Most healthfood stores have this mix in dropper form. It tastes horrible but is amazing stuff. Also gargling with salt water helps a great deal. Another thing you can do if you do the Neti pot is put a little Colloidal Silver in the water as well. Don't over do the silver but it is great stuff!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  08:43:41 AM  Show Profile
So sorry, Julia...I don't mess with colds--I know that there are wonderful herbs, but I'm a huge baby and need relief fast so I love me some "theraflu severe cold". I mix a little honey in to cut the medicine taste and off we go.

Make sure you get sleep. Lots of it, in addition to the herbs, meds, whatever. It's vital. And, don't feel bad...the kids are probably thinking that it's super cool to watch 2 movies!!!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  09:03:42 AM  Show Profile
Julia, this is not good, we just have to get the upper hand on this and get over it. I can see your concern with Aria and hope it doesn't take that route. I'll be thinking of you all and its probably to late now to lock yourself in a closet.
Nancy Jo

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  09:44:06 AM  Show Profile
See, I think of a horrible cold or sinus infection (which I'm more prone to) as a big red flag to pamper myself and gather all the "poor babies" I can possibly stock up on before I absolutely DROP! Sometimes our bodies just have to say "WHOA!!" And you've not exactly had a light load of it lately, my dear! Take care of you. You absolutely are NOT a horrible mama! You are the most funnest, most attentive, most imaginative mama I know! So take a day or two or five to recover from this bug and re-build your strength and enjoy it as much as you possibly can with snot dripping off your chin! And we are all going to stand in agreement right now that this bug will absolutely NOT touch Aria or anyone else in your family and we will proclaim it from one end of the country to the other!!

~~Cherry~~

http://cherrymedarlin.blogspot.com

"A thing is as simple or as complicated as you make it." --TT Murphy
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  09:59:29 AM  Show Profile
Oh Cherry, this makes me so weepy!! thank you so much for your warrior's stance. You have no idea how much I needed it!! Nancy Jo, the comment of locking myself in the closet made me choke on my coffee I laughed so hard. All the herbal suggestions and the bathe one in particular sound lovely. THANK YOU!!!

I called my doctor and will probably go in later today. This just doesn't feel right. I don't feel right and I really want to nip it as fast as possible for mine and Aria's sake. It is just plain scary thinking of her getting sick and having to go to the hospital. Things can change so quickly for her...can't go there...

Am washing all my bedding and am trying to fashion cloaks for the kids made out of cholorx wipes dipped in purell!!.

Thank you for all the wonderful thoughts and wishes. Keep em coming. I sure need them!! And THANK YOU for permission to kick back, loosen the laces and do nothing. Intellectually I know this is fine, emotionally I struggle with it sometimes.. I think we all go there in some degree or another!!

Sending love to each of you and thank you so so so very much!! ~julia

Farmgirl #30
www.julia42.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  10:29:30 AM  Show Profile
HI Julia - Just saw this post -hope you're feeling better today and that Aria is keeping away from that bug! I always use the same rememdy when I get a cold - and either it works physically or psychologically, but I feel better soon. I drink chicken broth laced with garlic and cayenne pepper constantly, all day long. It actually tastes pretty good and makes me feel better really fast. Keeping your family in my prayers.

Farmgirl Sister #98
Visit my online store at:
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  10:31:47 AM  Show Profile
Julia,

I'm sorry that you aren't feeling well. I will be praying for you!

Prince of Peace makes instant Ginger crystals that are wonderful to take when you have a cold, flu or tummy problems. You just add water and can find them at a health food store.

Mountain Rose Herbs also has an Echinacea & Roots tea which is good.

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  10:42:41 AM  Show Profile
I will sure have you in my thoughts and prayers....take care of yourself!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  10:59:40 AM  Show Profile
Julia, so sorry you're feeling so awful. Is there any way you could be pumping Aria with Vit. C and Echinacia? That's what I do when I feel it coming on. There are also herbal immune building vitamins for kids. Someone may have suggested this already, but I haven't read the whole thing. I sure hope they all don't get this, too. It's bad enuf you have it. I will agree with Cherry and say the kids WILL NOT get this awful bug! So drink lots of liguids and stay in bed. Get well soon. You probably needed a rest anyway.

Hugs, Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  7:32:12 PM  Show Profile
So sorry to hear you are feeling so rotten! I'll be praying that you get well very soon and that Aria and the kids do not get it. I know it could mean problems for little Aria, I so hope that won't happen. Actually you staying in bed and away from them will probably help you to get rid of it faster and help them not to get it.

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  9:09:47 PM  Show Profile
Julia....Poor baby!

Lots and Lots of Orange Juice

OY....and chicken soup is a proven fact in speeding recovery of a cold. Bummer.

I haven't been sick in over a year Sorry...that was uncalled for!

Can I send you anything to make you feel better??

Mel

Melody
Farmgirl #525
http://melodynotes-melodynotes.blogspot.com
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  07:52:11 AM  Show Profile
Sorry to hear you are feeling so swful, it is always the pits when the mom gets sick. You take such good care of your family, remember to be as good to yourself. The television is a necessary distraction in times like this. Don't be so hard on yourself, I'll be sending healing thoughts your way and for your whole family...

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  11:30:42 AM  Show Profile
Oh Julia!
Are you better today? I'll be keeping you and Aria in my thoughts. Ugh, I hate being sick. I so just want my "mommy" when I am and I have to remember that I AM THE MOMMY now. So I will pity you and if I were there with you I'd make you rest while I spoiled the kiddos with a batch of brownies and a water gun fight. Make sure you boost your immunity with some garlic after this is all over. I miss you! I love my Compassion necklace!!!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
http://harvestthyme.blogspot.com
~the only thing for certain, is uncertainty~
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  2:42:26 PM  Show Profile
YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO BE SICK
YOU ARE THE MOM
LOL
Michele
Seriously, hope you are feeling better soon.

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.stitchingby2sisters.etsy.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2009 :  04:02:22 AM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
Get well soon Julia!

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://fantasm01.imagekind.com/
http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2009 :  04:44:04 AM  Show Profile
Yeah, you're better! I remember my mom told me when I was first married and had 2 kids already that her doctor told her she was allowed 1 day a year to be totally sick and in bed where dad had to take care of her and us. He was kidding of course but it seems that's all a mother really ever gets, doesn't it? Then the rest of the year it's back to normal and we're on our own. I am glad your hubby took over for you and got you over that much needed hump to get you back to normal. Now I pray that Reo is better for his birthday party. No fun being sick on your birthday.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
  Family Matters: Previous Topic WAAAA I'm sick! *UPDATE* Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page