ashcordes
True Blue Farmgirl

197 Posts

Ashley
Roann IN
USA
197 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2006 :  11:11:17 AM  Show Profile
My daughter is almost 9 months old and I am wanting some ideas for foods for her (other than baby foods). She is pretty good at feeding herself and has two teeth with two more on the way. I am trying to get her away from the baby foods because I'm too busy with work to continue making them and I don't want to continue to buy it either. Any help/advice you can give would be greatly appreciated!

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2006 :  11:29:44 AM  Show Profile
My little one LOVED cottage cheese mashed with a hard-boiled egg when he was about that age - and, he still loves it. He's 2 1/2 - it's a good way to get some protein, too. Also, steamed carrots with butter can be easily smashed enough for a 9-month-old, and they are tasty, too. I'm trying to remember what he liked to eat - I really just started feeding him "baby" versions of whatever we were having for dinner, and he's continued to eat what we eat - with a few modifications - for instance, if we're having chicken alfredo pasta, I'll serve his pasta plain and his chicken separately - the pasta bit is still a bit much! Good luck! What a lucky babe to have a mom who made her baby foods!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2006 :  11:57:51 AM  Show Profile
My kids LOVED yogurt and banana chunks, cottage cheese with any fruit, just about anything we ate...but like Libbie..I thought about MYSELF and didn't do messy sauces if I could help it. I am blessed with 7 good eaters..not a picky one in the bunch.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2006 :  12:19:57 PM  Show Profile
It's been a long while, but the best thing I ever was given was a little food mill that had a suction cup on the bottom. It had three different metal "plates", so that food could be milled to whatever consistency you wanted it and it was put on the kitchen table beside us. The girls all ate what we did.
I used to bake a squash or yam and dice it or steam peas and put it on their highchair tables while I was preparing dinner. They would happily munch on these while I finished dinner. Little guys that were hungry never liked to wait! It also satisfied their desire to feed themselves and I could slip in a spoonful of whatever while they worked those little fingers picking up what was on their highchairs.

Di on VI
Go to Top of Page

TejasFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Dawnn
Bartonville Texas
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2006 :  5:51:37 PM  Show Profile
Another idea is to shred or grate veggies - carrots, zuchinni, etc. The little pieces are still big enough to pick up but not big enough to choke. I also had this mesh bag that you would put pieces of fruit and then screw a handle on. It was great for teething since I would freeze bannana, Strawberries, melon, etc and then they could suck on the mesh bag without the fruit slipping out of their little hands.
Go to Top of Page

pollyesther
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Karen
FL
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2006 :  9:34:22 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ashcordes-
My daughter began loving grits, oatmeal, hummus, scrambled eggs, mashed hard boiled eggs, various cheeses, yogurt, Cheerios, steamed veggies, bananas, cinnamon toast and cheese toast around this time. She also began experimenting by eating whatever the rest of the family was having that was baby friendly.

A few very quick & easy "recipes" that worked for me in a pinch:
Baby's First Banana Shake

6 ounces of milk
1 small banana
1/8 to 1/4 cup Infant Rice Cereal
2 ice cubes
1 teaspoon of sugar (optional)

Mix the milk and Bananas in a blender. Add the cereal slowly until it reaches your desired consistency. Add ice cubes, and sugar if desired, and blend until cold.
Makes one serving.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Cinnamon Apple Slices

Directions:
Wash, peel and core 1-2 apples. Cut the apples into slices about 1/4 inch thick. Place the slices of apples in plastic bag and sprinkle a dash of cinnamon over the apples slices. Close the bag and shake it up so the cinnamon is distributed evenly over all of the slices. Place the slices in a microwave safe dish and cook them in the microwave on HIGH for 3 minutes. Let them stand for 5 minutes. They are done if a fork slides into them easily. Cool completely before serving.
Storage: Last 4-5 days in the refrigerator or up to 2 months in the freezer.

My daughter is 14 months and I have another bun in the oven due very soon, so please email me if you'd ever like to chat about life amongst the babes!.
Go to Top of Page

ashcordes
True Blue Farmgirl

197 Posts

Ashley
Roann IN
USA
197 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2006 :  06:31:20 AM  Show Profile
Thanks everyone for the great ideas. Karen, go ahead and e-mail me when you get a minute and we can chat, I'm sure we have a lot in common. My husband is ready for us to be expecting #2 so I'll probably be in the same situation as you before too long!!!
Go to Top of Page

pollyesther
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Karen
FL
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2006 :  12:53:14 PM  Show Profile
Ashley-
I PM'd you!
Let me know if you get the message-