rural independent gal
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Holly
Jamestown IN
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  6:48:57 PM  Show Profile
You wouldn't believe how many things potatoes are good for besides just eating. Here are a few of the uses:

Anti aging agent
Wash your face daily with potato juice (raw potato can be ground with water) which prevents wrinkles on face and make your face glow.

Skin burn
Take a raw sliced potato and make it as a paste by mixing water. Apply the paste on minor skin burns to relieve pain.

Diaper Rash
Scrape away potato pulp with the edge of a spoon, the finer the scrapings the better. Place over the affected area and diaper the child to hold things in place. (Don’t panic by the potato turning black. That is a natural process and is OK)

Headache
Take a half sliced raw potato, and rub it on your temples to get relief from headache.

Tired eyes
Place two round slices on your eyes to reduce the tiredness of your eyes.

Remove glue on hands
Potato can remove glue from hands. Use Potato to wash hands when you find it hard to remove the stickiness on hands after handling some sticky vegetables like pumpkin.

Shoe polish
Rub a raw potato on your old, dirty shoes before polishing them. They should come out nice and shiny.

Sleeping pill
Potato prevents the action of acids in our stomach that disturb our sleep. Take a boiled and mashed potato with milk before sleeping to have a peaceful sleep.

Silverware Polish
Boil potatoes in some water and remove the potato from water. Place your silver ware in the water for an hour.

Extract salt from soups and stocks
If your recipe tastes too salty as you are preparing it, toss some large sliced potatoes into the pot or pan while still on the stove. In about 5 to 10 minutes the potato slices absorb the excess salt. Remove the potato after it has done its job.

Keep glasses clear
Rubbing a potato on the glasses can prevent them from fogging up in the early morning.

Lure worms out of houseplants
If the worms crawl around the roots of plants, place a sliced raw potato around the base of the plant. The worms crawl up to eat it, you can grab them out. (Or have your man-child grab them for you!

Oh yeah - almost forgot....VODKA!

Hope this is helpful for somebody.

http://www.theruralindependent.com

It's easy to be independent when you've got money. But to be independent when you haven't got a thing -- that's the Lord's test. ~ Mahalia Jackson

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2009 :  9:36:05 PM  Show Profile
I'm going to try the potatoe for sleeping.
This is all so interesting. Thanks for the post.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2009 :  10:26:44 PM  Show Profile
Very cool!! I am going to recomend the diaper rash thing for a friend, who has two kids with chronic rashes..and I will be trying the sunburn thing with my next sunburned kid!
I will be trying the headache and sleep aid ones on ME. Thanks for posting this.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2009 :  3:35:04 PM  Show Profile
Wow, who knew a potato could do so much? Thanks for sharing.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2009 :  6:47:27 PM  Show Profile
I have a bumper crop this year. Thank you for these ideas.

how sweet it is to love some one, how right itis to care
Go to Top of Page
  Try This: Previous Topic Behold The Versatile Potato! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page