Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 Update on Violet the "nightowl"...getting better!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Update on Violet the "nightowl"...getting better! Next Topic  

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  06:21:55 AM  Show Profile
Violet will be 5 months old this Friday (agh!!!), and though she sleeps through the night (on her stomach--she refuses to sleep any other way), she won't go to bed until about midnight...this weekend it was 1:00 am, sometimes 1:30 am, and she won't go without a fight. It's like she's missing something. Ask Miss Wilma--at her house last weekend, at 10:30 at night, Violet was rolling around on her living room floor after being carted around all day and no nap. It's like she's a little energizer bunny!

During the day, she takes, what we've started calling, "Power Naps"...basically 15-30 minute naps in which she "recharges" her little battery and then is "on" for the next several hours. Then, anywhere from 5:30 to 7:00 pm, she'll fall asleep wherever she is (in the excersaucer, in the swing, on the couch, etc...and wants to sleep for 3 hours or so....which is great because we're just getting home, getting dinner together, feeding the pets, etc....but it makes for a LATE night, and then she won't give in to sleep without a huge melt down. Justin let's her have her meltdown, because he says it "tires" her out, but I think it's awful. I can't stand to hear her cry like that. We hold her all the while she's doing it, but it's no help to her.

I'm not sure how to change this schedule...it seems odd to try to make her sleep when she isn't sleepy, and it seems mean to wake her up when she IS sleepy.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I feel like she's not getting the rest she needs, even though she's sleeping through the night.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/

Edited by - FebruaryViolet on Jul 15 2009 06:38:04 AM

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  06:55:27 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Nora went through a phase like that and as awful as it was, we put her in her dark room (no night light) and let her cry for five to ten minutes. It was so hard on me. Sometimes I would just want to cry and I would be watching the clock so I could race in and pick her up. Then after ten minutes we would pick her up and do the comforting swaying walk with her until she calmed down. Checked her diaper and if she needed, we would give her a bottle too. The key thing was to keep her in a dark dark dark room. If they are in a room with lights, their body does not produce the Melatonin chemical that puts them to sleep like it is supposed to (not in the right amounts and not strong enough). We never put a night light in with Nora after the first one burned out. She was never bothered by the dark and as a 2 year old- she doesn't need a light left on.

Some nights we had to repeat this process 3-4 times. It was long and tiring but in a few days she "got it" and started going to bed earlier and more easily. She also would sleep through the night consistently. She would go to bed at 7:30pm and wake up at 7:30am.

Oh and heavy drapes on her window is a life-saver so the sun doesn't wake them up and in the summer- keep them up! :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  06:56:24 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
PS When I first read the title I was expecting you to say that Violet has some how enchanted a neighborhood cat and she has "stolen" it LOL

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  07:05:23 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Alee...I think that's what we'll have to do. She was so wonderful a few weeks ago about putting herself to sleep on the couch in the living room (with the tv on, light on low, etc...) but now it's totally different. She does have a tiny nightlight, but it's on the opposite side of the room, so I don't know how much it bothers her. I will have to get some better drapes, though. Currently, the neighbors next door leave their floodlight on all night, and it's right into her room. Thankfully, her crib is in the corner so she doesn't get hit directly, but it still lights up the room on an especially dark night.

That's so funny (about what you "read" in the title!)...that WOULD be magical, wouldn't it? Violet is MUCH more interested in screeching (pure enjoyment!) at the cats (and dogs) right now, so most of them just run from her :)

Go to Top of Page

AuntPammy
True Blue Farmgirl

488 Posts

Pamila
williamstown wv
USA
488 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  07:17:37 AM  Show Profile  Click to see AuntPammy's MSN Messenger address
When my children were wee babies I would let them have their little power naps to a point. I am in the belief that a few naps are O.K. but not a lot.

I also agree with Alee about the dark room.

Have you tried the soothing bath before bedtime routine? Soft light and warm water before bed always feels good and right. A bottle and some light cuddle time should just be the ticket. Just try not to get too upset and be calm.She could be reading off you and papa and think it is play time all over again.

She's just learning right now and doesn't know when to go to bed for the night. Soon precious Violet will get the idea.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  07:22:23 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Pam...I think a bedtime bath is a good idea. I think we'll start doing that, though I was always told that you shouldn't bathe them too often, but maybe just sitting in her little "bath recliner" with the lavender soothing bath bubbles might do the trick. I've also been trying to read her a "night night" board book before we go to bed, but sometimes that makes her more "hepped" up, if you know what I mean? I get so concerned and try to "fix" the situation when she's crying up a storm because she's obviously so tired, and I keep thinking, "just close your eyes you poor little thing!" but you're right, she's just learning.

I wouldn't be worried if it was more like 9:00 or 10:00, but 1:00 in the morning is just much too late for a little girl!

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  08:15:43 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Jonni- I found singing to Nora was much more soothing than looking at a book. Reading to her now is a soothing thing that can get her sleepy- especially if the book as a nice long rhythm to it. But I think at Violet's age the picture are too interesting and like you said- it can get them more excited and wanting to be up looking at things.

We also did the bath before bed EVERY night. Then I would massage in some lavender baby lotion I made with beeswax so it was a nice warm lavender scent- kindof a honey lavender. By the time she was bathed, massaged, and in jammies half the time she was limp and ready for bed! :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

kmbrown
True Blue Farmgirl

459 Posts

Misty
Waynesboro Pennsylvania
USA
459 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  6:35:08 PM  Show Profile
I guess I'll add my 2 cents even though it's a little bit of a different tune!!!
With all 3 of my children...I wanted them to be able to nap even if we were not home! We only have valences on their windows so it is very light and they sleep till 7 and nap fine. They will learn to sleep in whatever environment they are placed in. We did do baths every night at the same time.
I did not allow my children to power nap. I watched them for 2 or 3 days and then scheduled their naps when they would be tired. At 5 months all 3 of mine still took 2, 2hour naps. One about 10 or 11 and then one at about 2 or 3.
This does require some crying and training unfortunately but it is worth it. I will say....sometimes if my kids get to tired they actually sleep less than if they have taken their nap!!
Also, since I have more than one child and I can't just sleep when the baby sleeps, they are all in bed by 9pm. I usually go to bed at 10.
I will also say....I trained all of my children to put themselves to sleep. After bath we usually read or sing or just rock and cuddle for 5-10 minutes and then they go to bed. I say goodnight, and turn off the light and usually it's less than 10 minutes and they are asleep.
I hope I don't sound like a harsh mommy, I love my children more than anything on this earth. But I am a firm believer in them getting lots of sleep and this has worked very well for our family!!
I hope you can get her on a schedule that works for you!!!

Edited by - kmbrown on Jul 13 2009 6:37:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  6:52:17 PM  Show Profile
Since I did day care in my home when my oldest boys were babies, they had to learn to nap at a regular time and whether it was light or noisy...one of my sons was wonderful at this..he could have napped hanging on a hook by his overall straps! But oldest son never could nap at all. He slept well at night, but not until late (he is his mother's son!!) Some kids just don't sleep as well during the day as others. I would be alot more strict I suppose, about a bedtime if I were to want to go to bed at a normal time myself. Since I have always had a hard time sleeping, I just let him hang out with me until he was sleepy.(but not if he were just crying..then he would be in bed for sure..) By the time second son (the good sleeper) came around, oldest son was sleeping normal hours. When it comes to babies..."this too shall pass" is a great thing to remember. I got all of my 5 younger kids (adopted) after they were at least 3...all good sleepers....so I only had to figure this out with the two oldest. Sometimes personality is a big part of it...sometimes you just have to be the boss. Misty..I dont' think you are harsh at all. I think each person has to do what works best for their own family. I get flack now because my kids (14, 13, and 2-12 year olds) all go to bed at 9pm on school nights...10pm at the very latest other nights. I have been told that I am ridiculous! Well, guess what? It works for us..the kids go to bed with no argument and get up cheerfully in the morning. I don't see a problem.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2009 :  06:03:58 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, girls. I think a set bedtime is such a good thing, though, honestly, I was more like Jenny's boy and was sortof a night owl as a little one. Hope that's not where it comes from!!!!

I'll give you a "normal" rundown of the way things were (2 weeks ago)...about 8:30, I start getting her ready for bed, get in her jams, quick bath or just lotion, and then I make her last (warm) bottle. After burping and sitting up for about a 1/2 hour (9:30ish now), I lay her down on her favorite blanket and after a little bit of fussing, she's out like a light. Pick her up and put her into her bed and she remained asleep until 7:30 in the morning or so. Now, it's like she's totally forgotten all that! Last night, I ended up rocking her to sleep in the rocker and we haven't done that since she was probably a month old...after a month or so, she really didn't want to be "handled" when she was that tired, so the blanket on the couch thing began with amazing success!

Last night, Violet went to bed at 12:30 am, and woke up screaming at 1:40 am, then back to sleep for the remainder of the night (thankfully). I think we are dealing with some teething issues, too...

But, oddly enough, there wasn't the temper tantrum last night that usually accompanies the fight to sleep. I took Alee's advice and sang to her over and over, and she seemed very calm--she was sortof "talking" to herself to self soothe, and watching me watch her :) Just the tiniest bit of fussing and she fell asleep...but when I picked her up to move her (which normally isn't a big deal), she woke up instantly, so I rocked her a bit and put her in her bed, but she was wired for sound again. She flipped and flopped over and back (since she's figured out how to turn over both ways, it's all over!) and pushed herself up on her knees and started rocking and sortof chanting (that's new) and then the scratching begins. It's her nightly ritual to "scratch" fabric of some sort over and over until she sleeps. Is that normal?

Anyway, like I said, I ended up rocking her in the rocker until she fell asleep and she was out, but only for that short time. It's sure making for a long night, and an even longer day at work :)

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2009 :  06:30:00 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Jonni- I would suggest trying to get her to fall asleep in her bed. We did the whole fall asleep then move thing for a while and it seems to be fine when the are little but then once they become older they seem to wake up more easily when moved. Nora also experienced sleep issues when she was teething. Get yourself a bottle of those Hyland's Teething Tabs that you can get from Wal-Mart or natural food stores. All natural homeopathic remedy and I swear they work great!

As far as the scratching fabric- it is probably a sensory thing. I forget what Nora did but they all have some sort of little thing that they like to do. She probably enjoys the sensation the fabric makes on her fingertips and the sound is interesting to her.

So how about doing the same thing you did last night but instead of laying her favorite blanky on the couch, lay it out in her crib. That way she will associate the blanket that she falls asleep on with falling asleep in the crib. Then once she is sound asleep, then hopefully she will stay that way all night.

*hugs* Hope you start getting better sleep soon- and Violet too!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2009 :  06:50:27 AM  Show Profile
Not a bad idea, Alee. I think I might try that. I can tuck it in on the sides tightly, and maybe it will feel the same. She is such a wiggle worm right now and tugs on everything, so I don't want it to be a danger to her, but she's moving her head like nobody's business so it shouldn't be big deal.

We have the Hyland's tablets...they do seem to work, and last night she was a bit more receptive to the frozen washcloth, but she really just likes to gnaw on her hand.

Thanks! I'll give it a shot tonight and see how we fare :)

Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2009 :  08:38:09 AM  Show Profile
We had to keep the grand kids awake when the started to go to sleep early in the evening. I would rather try to keep them awake between 5:30 and bed time then her keeping me awake until 12:00. It only took a couple of days and they would go to sleep at the time the DD wanted them to.

Good luck Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2009 :  09:08:34 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Diana...we've been trying to do that, but it's hard in some regards because part of that time is in the car, going from her Grand's up in Cincy, and it takes about 40 minutes to home--as soon as that child gets in the car she's OUT. She might continue her nap for another 30 minutes when home, and that puts us at 6:30 or so.

Will do my best to keep this little one going tonight!!!

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  05:56:10 AM  Show Profile
SUCCESS!!!! SUCCESS!!! Now I know it's just one little night, but oh my goodness! Violet went to the zoo yesterday with her grammy and cousins, and they said she slept through most of it...and so when she arrived here at work to pick me up, she managed a little cat nap on the way home in the car, but my husband and I decided that we were going to try to keep her up. So, he made dinner, and I kept her busy--at times she'd get fussy, but I'd just take her to another room and change the scenery, so to speak. We played on the floor for a while, in the exersaucer, then about 8:00, I ran a bath, rubbed her down with lotion and dressed her in her jams. Made a bottle with some cereal and by 8:40, after 3 ounces, her little eyes were so heavy that the bottle fell right out of her mouth and she slept until.....wait for it....7:45 this morning!!!! She would still be sleeping if we'd let her!!! So, from about 8:45 pm to 7:45 am. I am so proud of her, and so proud of me for sticking to my guns!!! Tonight, I have to visit with family, but I think I'm going to do the same thing and try to maintain this schedule. Hopefully they'll understand how important it is!

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  06:52:50 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Fantastic Jonni! Keep it up! The full night of sleep for her is soooo good for her too! YAY! I bet it was a relief to get some good rest for you and Jus too! Congrats!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  07:51:37 AM  Show Profile
She always wakes up happy, but this morning, she was just adorable and bright eyed! I definitely think she was pooped from her outing yesterday (and overheated--that child gets SO hot!) but I'm going to do a repeat performance tonight and see what I can accomplish. Hopefully she'll be a willing participant!

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  08:19:01 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Sounds great, Jonni! I bet she felt extra good this morning! I read that babies need about 15-18 hours of sleep a day. When Nora was her age, she would sleep about 12 at night, 2 in the morning and 2-3 in the afternoon from about 1-4 or 2-4.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  08:42:41 AM  Show Profile
Wow! I think that's probably true...Violet spends a lot of time being "nosey" and trying not to miss anything. She really fights sleep, when it comes right down to it, and wants to be "involved" in whatever we're doing. I know she takes about a 2 hour nap at her grams, but then she does these intermitten "cat naps" that just seem to amp her up until the next nap.

Justin said that on the days he watches her, he lets her sleep until 9:30 or so, and she does it willingly. But, that's usually after going to bed anywhere from 10 on...it's hard to get things done when it's just me at home at night, though (last night was great because he could make dinner and I could devote that time to her getting ready for bed), but I guess it's more important for her to have a schedule than me getting things done :)

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  12:07:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
When Nora was that age, Doug was working until Midnight every night so I can sympathize with the Hard to get things done. One way we coped was cooking amounts for about 4-6 people instead of 2 and a half. That way I had food that I could quickly reheat and eat on the go and sometimes I didn't eat until after she went to bed. Nora was good about hearing the vacuum and such so I could still clean or pick up if she was asleep.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  12:21:35 PM  Show Profile
Violet's good with that, too, Alee...she doesn't seem to mind dishwashing, laundry or vacuuming, for which I'm grateful. Good idea about cooking for more...I usually end up not eating, or eating something like a bowl of cereal...maybe if we get into a routine that can change :) I was very surprised with how soundly she slept, even though it was still somewhat light out. But, her crib isn't very near the window, so it probably didn't phase her.

Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Update on Violet the "nightowl"...getting better! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page