Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Canning Element for Electric Coil Stove
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Canning Element for Electric Coil Stove Next Topic  

1930sgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Joyce
Alberta
Canada
233 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2009 :  9:05:13 PM  Show Profile
Hi girls,

I've been researching pressure canning on the net and came across some very interesting information about canning on newer electric coil stove.

Much of the advise from canners was pretty clear that it was almost necessary to have a special element to replace on of the large burners on the stove. Apparently, the canning element lifts the height by about an extra inch, allowing for better air circulation. Otherwise, the extended extreme heat can ruin your stove.

Does anyone use a canning element on their electric coil stove? Do you believe it's required, especially for long processing, such as meats and poultry?

Thanks for the advise,
Joyce

MissDotty
Farmgirl in Training

49 Posts

Anna
Coralville IA
USA
49 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2009 :  9:29:05 PM  Show Profile
I'd be interested in hear anyone's experiences too, my mum has been looking at replacing her stove but was told that new electric stove couldn't handle canning. Running bottled propane for just the kitchen would add considerable expense to a gas stove so we've been making do with the old stove until we could figure something out
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2009 :  9:40:55 PM  Show Profile
I place the jar rings around the sides of the burner and set the canner on top of the rings. It raises my canner--both water bath and pressure canner up a bit. I do that because it seems to make a real mess on my white stove if I don't. I don't like cleaning stoves as it is, do you?

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2009 :  10:08:07 PM  Show Profile
Oh my gosh Betty..that is a fab idea!! I have destroyed more burners than I care to mention with putting heavy canners on them! Even my water bath canner is SO heavy (it is the bigger one that holds 9 quart jars in it's rack instead of the usual 7) I will sure be using that idea from now on!! The weight always pushes down and twists and ruins the little support thing (shaped like a weird star) under the coil. And Joyce...if you find out more about the canning element I would sure be interested!!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

1930sgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Joyce
Alberta
Canada
233 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  10:01:44 AM  Show Profile
Hi girls,

Well...I just spent about the last hour on the phone with Sears, my stove is a Kenmore. Unfortunately, they were not very helpful. The representative I was speaking with couldn't even find a canning element on the list of parts.

So, I'm back to trying to find something out. I really don't want to ruin my stove. It's less than a year old and I'm rather fond of it.

I will definitely let you know if I find out anything helpful,
Joyce
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  11:33:08 AM  Show Profile
I've been using a canning burner for about 16 years. Not only does it sit higher but you replace a part that connects to the burner control knob that is more heavy duty and it allows for more incremental (smaller) adjustments to the heat. I can a LOT and the burner itself would last about 3 years and then I'd have to replace it. When you get the first one with the replacement part for the control knob it is over $100. Replacement burners run around $65 to $85.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  11:45:33 AM  Show Profile
So that's what is messing up my burner coils!! My stove is a 12 year old Maytag. I have canned on it from day one. All 4 burners are warped and the star thingies are bent. Even though they still get hot, they are uneven and hard to cook with. My son was going to buy me all new burners for Christmas last year until he found out they cost $75 each. The sales person at the appliance place ask him why didn't he buy me a new stove instead. Well, he didn't want to do that. I got one burner for Christmas. Plan to replace the stove someday with a gas cook top and built in electric ovens. I have to do something to get the oven higher up. I can't bend over and lift out a big turkey or whatever. I have so far been lucky and a grandkid will show up in time to help. I need it up where I can reach it. Looking forward to having the gas cooktop.

Never heard of a canning burner. Hummmm
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  3:09:30 PM  Show Profile
What a great thread!! I never heard of a special canning element, I am so happy to have read this posting. We are looking to replace our stove soon, never gave it a thought to ask whether it would stand up to the heat of canning.

Thank you for all the information!!
Joanna

Joanna #566
JojoNH

http://www.CountryCents.com
http://CountryCents.Blogspot.com
http://Twitter.com/Eastwooddesigns
Go to Top of Page

AuntieM
True Blue Farmgirl

151 Posts

Marjorie
Holly Springs NC
USA
151 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  5:24:30 PM  Show Profile
We have a flat, glass topped stove. We only lived in this house for two years (one canning season) and last year I only did a little jam. This year, however, I was hoping to do some heavy duty canning, although only water bath method. Do you think I'm going to ruin my stove? Oh, I hope not!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  5:31:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wow! I had never thought about that! It makes sense that all that heat with the big canner kindof sealing it in would be bad for the stove- I just never considered it! I will have to consider that for when we buy our own stove, but until then I going to do the jar ring trick. I wonder if you could use clay tiles with rubber feet too? Do the jar rings ever collapse under the weight?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Canning Element for Electric Coil Stove Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page