melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3319 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3319 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2009 :  8:00:32 PM  Show Profile
I have gone through a dozen or more basil plants this year. They are puny, don't grow an inch I think something is munching through the leaves...sort of a golden looking tiny fly bug?? and!....today after record temperatures this past week...they finally just DIED. I even transplanted them from the garden into clay pots thinking that would do the trick. What on earth am I doing wrong. I dream of making my very own PESTO for this coming winter and I am afraid I will have to get some already made at the market.... YUCK!

Any suggestions gals?? I am ready to throw in the towel on this my 2nd favorite herb of all time.

Melody
Farmgirl #525
http://melodynotes-melodynotes.blogspot.com
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2009 :  8:34:00 PM  Show Profile
Melody , it might be the high temps. My basil never does good here after the temperature gets into the high 90's and above. I thought I would try again when we get closer to fall.
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3319 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3319 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2009 :  8:41:43 PM  Show Profile
I have about "babied" that poor basil to death....Oh well. Guess it looks like the grocery store for me! Thanks for the help. You are probably right.... now it's the high temperatures. And, I really wanted to grow my own basil and make my very own Basil pesto....Thanks for the info Sharlet!!

Melody
Farmgirl #525
http://melodynotes-melodynotes.blogspot.com
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2009 :  10:10:55 PM  Show Profile
I have also heard that the large leaf variety is easier to grow. I just know that I have had it for years and it never lasts here after summer really sets in. I would like to put up some pesto too. Hopefully this fall. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm planting it directely in the raised beds this time. Sorry its not working for you either.
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2009 :  12:55:34 PM  Show Profile
I grow my basil inside. It's the only way to make it work in this beat and LOTS of water. IT is amazing how much it uses. If you add water to the base of a planter the basil will soak it up and you can see when it needs more.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  11:59:24 AM  Show Profile
My basil is comming on strong. I have dried some and plan to make some pesto for the freezer. My recipe calls for half parsley. My parsley shot craps weeks ago then what was left the butterfly catapillers ate it. I am going to have to use grocery store parsley. My cilentro has also come and went. I planted more but it has not come up yet. It will probably be grocery store cilentro for my salsa too.
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  12:24:16 PM  Show Profile
I have seen a lot of recipes that call for the use of Parsley but I have always used all basil.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  12:27:25 PM  Show Profile
My favorite pesto recipe from the 1980's Victory Garden Cookbook (PBS series) calls for parsley, too. I do sometimes, and other times I don't. It doesn't change it very much for my tastes. I usually let the butterfly caterpillars eat mine, too, Belle :)

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic What is wrong with my BASIL?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page