Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 PINK Homemade Laundry Detergent!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic PINK Homemade Laundry Detergent! Next Topic
Page: of 4

mtngirljon
True Blue Farmgirl

539 Posts

Jonnie
Webster Texas
USA
539 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2009 :  2:46:53 PM  Show Profile
I so want to try this soap - will look for the ingredients at my local markets. I also wanted to say "Thanks for the Piggly Wiggly memories" . I remember taking the glass Coke bottles to trade in when I was a kid. It was one of my jobs . . .

"Never lose an opportunity of seeing anything that is beautiful. Welcome it in every face, in every skip, in every flower."

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2009 :  2:56:22 PM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness, I've not thought of cashing in soda pop bottles for years. How bout actually trading in coupons for cash. My mom let us kids have the ones she was not going to use for food and we'd cash them in and run over to the penny candy isle and get a bag full of jaw breakers. Oh MY I've turned into one of those people who say's "I remember when!" LOL

God's gift to you are your talents, your gift to Him is how you use them.
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2009 :  10:38:02 PM  Show Profile
YAY Melody June you are too sweet and kind for me. I guess I can get all the other ingredients here. Have to look in the shops when I go into the bigger town but no worries There are a lot of stores there to browse.

I had heard of Piggly Wiggly somewhere and always thought the name was so funny, lol

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2009 :  08:12:15 AM  Show Profile
Kris, you can get pH Increase in the pool section at Walmart to use for the washing soda.

~~Cherry~~

http://cherrymedarlin.blogspot.com

"A thing is as simple or as complicated as you make it." --TT Murphy
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2009 :  08:48:44 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Kris- If you can't find the Washing Soda in the laundry aisle of your grocery stores- Cherry is right. The PH Increase stuff is the same. The homemade laundry detergent is wonderful!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2009 :  1:24:41 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Cherry. I will look tomorrow.

We were just talking about funny grocery store names last night at a party. We have Piggly Wiggly down in South Ga. But one of the guys from New York asked if anyone had heard of a WaWa and someone else said he had some wawa and held up a glass of water. It was so funny we all just cracked up. But I have never heard of that store.

Kris

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

KayB
True Blue Farmgirl

540 Posts

Kay
Del City Oklahoma
USA
540 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2009 :  2:46:46 PM  Show Profile
I found Zote at a Buy For Less here in OK that caters primarily to the Mexican population here. It was on the laundry aisle.

My question is: The castille soap is 4 oz and the Fels Naptha is 5.5 oz. The recipe calls for 3 bars of soap. The Zote is 14.5 oz. Do I use 3 bars of Zote or just one?

Thanks for any help and/or info.

KayB

Life's a dance you learn as you go
Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2009 :  3:39:21 PM  Show Profile
Hello KayB!

Since the ZOTE bar of soap is so large, I use 1 -1/3 to 1- 1/2 bars. What ever equals to the Fels Naptha soap. A little over or under won't hurt. Just make sure you use 1/2 to 1 cup of distilled white vinegar in your rinse water to get out all the soap! Good luck!

Hugs!
Maryjane Lee

Farmgirl #44

http://thebeehivecottage.blogspot.com

http://beehivecottage.etsy.com

Edited by - Maryjane Lee on Jul 12 2009 3:43:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  04:36:11 AM  Show Profile
Ya'll are so smart. I would have just put all 3 of the zote bars in. So now I just use about 1 1/2 of the Zote and keep everything else the same? I have never seen the Naphta bars so I had no idea they were smaller than Zote. Thanks for the info again.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  05:42:19 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Just thought I might mention that I make a laundry soap bar that is equivalent to Fels or Zote but 100% natural. I can even make it pink if you want ;D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  07:18:23 AM  Show Profile
LOL Alee. Bet your soap is wonderful!! If I lived in the USA I would order me some, and more ;)

My personal blog:

Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  07:18:37 AM  Show Profile
Great thread ya'll.....
Melody June....I almost emailed you to let you know that you can get Zote at Brookshires down here, but you found it!!!

And thank goodness ya'll told us about the pH Increase!! No place within a 50 mile radius of me seems to carry or even want to order washing soda for me!!! I went and baught all the ingredients for this laundry detergent early Saturday AM, and washing soda was the only thing I couldn't get!!! Back to town again I guess!!

Thanks everyone for the great info!!!
MaryJane - I, too am a huge fan of your blog, and have been since I joined the forums here....the only reason I have never left you a comment is because I STILL don't know how!! LOL...ok...don't laugh at me....I'm still trying to figure out "blogland"...lol....I just started one last week, and am such a newbie that I can't even figure out how to get a cute header put on mine!!!...ROFL!! i have all of these wonderful ideas for my blog, but just don't have the computer know-how...tee-hee.....so kudos to all of ya'll that have such cute and wonderful blogs!!

http://cockadoodledewberries.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  07:21:31 AM  Show Profile
I just wanted to check before I make my laundry deteregent. I bought Kirk's Castile bar soap, I found it in the personal hygiene isle instead of the laundry isle where I expected to find it. I can use it for laundry detergent, right? Just want to make sure it's not too moisturizing like Dove.

P.S. I think it's great everyone is using ZOTE. Up til now I didn't think anyone had ever heard of it before. We used it to wash clothes by hand when my family lived in Mexico!

Farmgirl # 639

Edited by - chaddsgirl on Jul 13 2009 07:23:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  07:25:02 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Sarah- Yes, the Kirk's Castile is fine for laundry use. I would put vinegar in your rinse though.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  07:29:29 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Alee!! I need to order some soap from you. That would be much better than Kirks. And, I used vinegar in all of my wash over the weekend in place of fabric softener and I am a true convert. That stuff was fantastic!! I had already bought the Borax and Washing Soda but I wanted to use up the laundry detergent I had left (so as not to waste money). I added Borax to 1/2 the loads and Washing Soda to the other 1/2. I couldn't believe how much cleaner it got the clothes, especially since we have ridiculously hard water. Thank goodness for MJF magazine and all you wonderful ladies on this forum!!

Farmgirl # 639
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  07:30:59 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh- You are so sweet Sarah! Thanks! :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  07:34:51 AM  Show Profile
Alright, Mary Jane...I'm going to break down and make this detergent. I have a front loader and have been concerned about it, but it looks like I can do it!!

Can I use this with little Violet's clothes and bedding? Surely it wouldn't be too harsh? I have mandarin, lavender and rose essential oils, so I could do either of them.

I just love your blog. I could sit here all day and dream...but I must away to work!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

KayB
True Blue Farmgirl

540 Posts

Kay
Del City Oklahoma
USA
540 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  09:12:18 AM  Show Profile
Well, my Zote's is grated (no food processor) and sitting all spread out on a cookie sheet on the laundry porch to dry out. That pink is so pretty. After reading a few things from y'all I've decided that once my clothes line posts are in the ground, they are going to be bright pink. My hubby thinks I'm crazy, but like he said, I'm going to be the one using them. He's going to sand the rust off and prime them first, but I am so excited to be getting this done. I got my posts from a couple of ladies at www.freecycle.com. The hardest part was when I had to go dig one out of the ground, but I think it's going to be well worth it.

I can't wait!!!

KayB

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  09:23:16 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Jonni- I used the homemade laundry soap on all of Nora's things and it is fine for her. In fact she breaks out if we use store bought stuff.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  09:49:45 AM  Show Profile
KAY!! I too have two clothes line posts in my garden. You have given me an idea to paint them pink too, one day, lol.
Guess my neighbors eyes will pop out when they see those PINK posts in my garden some day, lol ;)

My personal blog:

Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  11:16:59 AM  Show Profile
Oh farmgirls, PINK clothesline posts! What a hoot and great idea! I must do the same! I think I will use a baby pink!

Kay, you do not need to dry the ZOTE out first. It dries fast once it is mixed with the other ingredients.

My daughters use the laundry detergent in their front loaders. Just
dissolve the detergent in hot water first and you are ready to go!

Hugs!
Maryjane Lee

Farmgirl #44

Edited by - Maryjane Lee on Jul 13 2009 11:17:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

KayB
True Blue Farmgirl

540 Posts

Kay
Del City Oklahoma
USA
540 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  2:15:21 PM  Show Profile
I had read someone had blue clothesline poles so I though - What the heck - I want a bright, possibly hot, pink. I'm the only who will be spending time with them and all of neighbors think I'm a little strange anyway, so why not? If I really get ambitious, maybe I'll paint flowers on them, too. If it's going to be used, I might as well make it pretty.

I will go ahead and go mix up my soap, then. The smell is just permeating my laundry room so nicely, even hubby likes it. It's kind of citrus-y to me. I can't wait to use it. I'm about out of my last batch, so that's why I started today.

Thanks for your help, ladies.

KayB

Go to Top of Page

KayB
True Blue Farmgirl

540 Posts

Kay
Del City Oklahoma
USA
540 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  2:18:28 PM  Show Profile
Oh, I almost forgot, I have a front loading HE washer and I just put the soap in the detergent cup and it works great. I put vinegar in the cup for softener and I don't use the bleach cup for anything. Since I'm using dry detergent, if I need a little oomph for the hubby's work clothes, I add a litt OxyClean to the detergent cup. Works great every time.

KayB

Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  2:33:11 PM  Show Profile
Thrilled it is working for you KayB! I actually love washing clothes...not so much the folding! LOL!

Farmgirl Cat-The Vintage Housewife painted her clothesline posts a bright red and her lines are red to!

Hugs!
Maryjane Lee

Farmgirl #44

Go to Top of Page

kissmekate
True Blue Farmgirl

890 Posts

Kate
Delano Minnesota
890 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  8:44:54 PM  Show Profile
Dutchy, MaryJane and Kay, post pictures of your clotheslines when your are done painting them!!!

Don't miss out on a blessing, just because it isn't packaged the way you expected. ~MaryJo Copeland

Edited by - kissmekate on Jul 13 2009 8:47:30 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Across the Fence: Previous Topic PINK Homemade Laundry Detergent! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page