asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2006 :  08:15:19 AM  Show Profile
As I sit and type I can look over our backyard. Just saw a couple of Varied Thrush, also known as "Alaskan Robins" for the first time this winter. Which brought to mind, how do you promote birds in your backyard? Birds are good for many things - bug control is the biggest thing, but also for the reseeding process and for some pollination (humming birds). When we first moved into this house, there was nothing in our yard (front or back) that attracted birds - except for crows. So I started reading and planting. I made sure to plant some items that were somewhat thick for birds to hide in, items to attract hummingbirds and butterflys and I have feeders out year round. Since we did that, we probably get about 30 different varieties of birds through our yard. Birds also add interest into the yard, creating movement and song. In the summer I love to sit and watch the birds hop about, especially the hummingbirds. We have one variety that stays year round and then two to three other types that come in the summer months. One year we had around 10 hummingbirds living between our yard and the neighbors, very busy The only birds I don't have and wish I could would be the "waddling kind" - ducks and chickens are also great for yards - the fertilizer alone is wonderful. Tell me about your feather friends.

Anne

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2006 :  08:47:19 AM  Show Profile
Since we moved in 3 years ago, we've put in a koi pond with a stone waterfall, which the birds love. We only have one tree in the backyard, so I have one pretty large birdfeeder there and 3 others out in the yard -- one a dish type and the other two on poles. We put out several birdhouses, but I think our dogs have kept birds from building nests. The dogs are in and out throughout the day, and I guess the birds decide not to nest here. I also put out a dusting tray, but that didn't work -- the dogs kept messing in it -- so I had to put that away, but the 2 birdbaths we put out get lots of visitors. The tree is right outside my bedroom window, and when I open the shades in the morning I see lots of birds on the feeder, on the edge of the birdbath next to the tree, and on the ground under the feeders. I love to watch them for a bit every morning.

Some people search for happiness; others create it.
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2006 :  09:47:48 AM  Show Profile
When I read your email Anne, I thought I hadn't seen a varied thrush for a long time. As I looked out my window beside my desk just now, there is one sitting in a tree looking at me! This time of year we get the usual juncos, finches, chickadees and sassy jays. Last summer we put expensive shelled sunflower seed in a feeder and were treated to a pair of stunning (for us) crossbills. The female was a gorgeous olive and her mate almost a peach color. My favorite bird this time of year is the winter wren as she starts singing her spring song.
We have hummingbird "wars" here and it doesn't matter how many feeders we hang up. They are brazen little things for the size of them and they will even do a fly-by buzzing of the dogs which makes them crazy! We had one we named Rusty last year that hid in a tree beside HIS feeder and would tirelessly go at any other hummer than came near every single time. I think the variety we get here are ruby-throated and I love how their feathers shimmer in the sun.
I put two small birdhouses on the garden fence posts and have tree swallows that return each spring to them. This year I would like to put up more as they are marvelous at catching bugs.
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2006 :  10:34:50 AM  Show Profile
Patti -

Don't be discouraged about the birds not nesting. We don't have dogs, but alot of the neighborhood cats go through our yard. But it didn't stop the jays from building a nest in our lilac bush and robins building under the eaves in the carport. If you have some thick, tall, bushes - they will eventually build there.

Diane -
We have the same thing here with the humming birds - always fighting for territory. The year round one has staked out my raspberries. He likes the blooms and the little bugs that fly around them. So when I go to pick them or prune I sometimes here that "clicking or humming" sound behind me and when I turn around he is in mid-air giving me the "what are you doing in my berries" flight number. They are brazen and not very afraid of anything, but fun to watch.

Anne

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan

Edited by - asnedecor on Feb 20 2006 10:36:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2006 :  10:59:24 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
You can attract birds by setting up (at least) a bird bath- (if you do this please put a large stone in the middle so they won't drown) and of course bird feeders help. It may take a few weeks for them to find the new food source- but they will!

Also if you plant lots of red and red based colored flowers in your garden you have a good chance of attracting hummingbirds and butterflys. You can google butterfly flowers and hummingbird flowers to see what they like the best.

I move from apartment to apartment quite a bit as my boyfriend and I are still trying to find a place that fits us just right- so I have to start a garden new almost every year. Two years ago (last time I had a yard) I did a hummingbird/butterfly garden. Within a month I had some hummingbirds hanging around even though our neighboor hood had tons of cats. The neighboor lady said that she had never seen butterflys or hummingbirds around till I came.

I don't know how much birds actually will use bird houses but you could also give that a try (under eaves and such) to attract birds.

Also as the season gets warmer- they will want to nest so if you could provide nesting supplies they would probably stick around too
Go to Top of Page

CityCat
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Catherine
Toronto Ontario
Canada
198 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2006 :  4:35:57 PM  Show Profile
If you do set up a bird bath, please make sure the water has some flow and it circulates. Or change the water frequently. Stagnant water encourages mosquitoes, and the West Nile Virus is spreading about fast enough as it is! Ponds are nice especially if they contain fish; they love to eat insect larvae!
-Cat
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Feather friends and the garden Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page