theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2006 :  12:43:57 PM  Show Profile
I have a cute idea for selling herbs in strawberry pots ~~Anyone know where I might buy bulk pots for less $$ ?
Jan

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2006 :  1:37:14 PM  Show Profile
I'm not sure about the US Jan, but if you have farm status here you can buy from nursery wholesalers for significantly less than retail. End of season sales are great too...I got some really nice little pottery-looking pots from WallyWorld in the fall for 97 cents each. I intend to sell herbs in them this spring.
Go to Top of Page

theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2006 :  07:34:22 AM  Show Profile
Hummm...no ideas huh? I have been internet searching wholesale flower pots etc but cant find anything~~The stores/nurseries have to buy them from somewhere~~
Jan
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2006 :  12:45:03 PM  Show Profile
Hey Jan,
I taught a class in my shop where the customer went home with a complete herb garden in a tall strawberry pot. I used to get pots from a small nursery that specialized in growing herbs & scented geraniums. I ordered the plants I wanted from her in the fall and in exchange she supplied me with strawberry pots at the wholesale price. Is there a small grower or nursery you could hook up with in your area to do something similar?
One tip I will pass on...when you plant a tall stawberry pot it helps to make a core through the middle from vermiculite. This helps water to wick to the plants at the bottom of the pot. Just insert a cardboard tube (like from wrapping paper) down the center of the pot when filling with potting soil. Fill the tube almost to the top with vermiculite. Just before adding the topmost soil to the pot, carefully wiggle the tube out. This really keeps plants at the bottom of the pot from drying out over the growing season!
Rhonda

...and I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance, even if I'm the only one!
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2006 :  08:43:33 AM  Show Profile
OOOhhhh. Cool herb garden idea! I would have never thought of the vermiculite deal - thanks!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2006 :  2:54:32 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the great advice Rhonda! I have never planted anything in a strawberry pot so I wouldnt have thought about the vermiculite...
Yep-Thats exactly what I was planning--a herb garden that was already planted~Did you use regular potting soil in your pot?
Jan
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2006 :  3:28:38 PM  Show Profile
In the town I teach in is a plant called Ceramo, where they make all kinds of clay pots. Each year in May, they have a big warehouse sale. The lady told me last year that they make very few of their pots anymore and most of them come from Mexico. She told me you can find places online to buy in bulk, but you need to look for companies in Mexico, according to her. If you can get a business license (not that big a deal), you can probably buy in bulk at wholesale prices. Good luck!

Some people search for happiness; others create it.
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2006 :  9:39:35 PM  Show Profile
Jan,
I used to mix up big bathes of potting soil for all our potted plants. I can't remember the exact mix, but I know we used sterile potting soil, peat, and a small ammount of vermiculite. I never added fertilizer to the pots but instead added it when we watered. You should be able to squeeze the soil into a loose crumbly ball when it's right. Too much peat makes it dry.

We used to put horse manure into a big barrel, add water and make a lovely brown tea... LOL We used a siphon that mixed it into the water from the hose. Just had to remember not to drink from the hose! ;)

Glad some of that stuff I learned can help someone! :)
Rhonda

...and I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance, even if I'm the only one!
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Strawberry Pots Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page