Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 What Would You Do? Bat and child
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic What Would You Do? Bat and child Next Topic  

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  1:52:38 PM  Show Profile
UPDATE: Read my third post, I've come to a decision.
I need some farmgirl advice. Before hand I will warn you that I have a huge bat and rabies phobia so this is not making my decision easier.
Today we went to run some errands and were gone about 1 and a half hours. While we were gone there must have been a small storm because there were some tree branches in the yard. I had to move one off the driveway before pulling in. Well, my five year old was outside playing and a short while later came in and said "That was gross, I touched a bat and it flew away." I then kind of freaked out and asked "What bat? Where? Why did you touch it? Did it bite you?" etc. she said she touched it with her shoe (flip flops) and it grabbed onto the bottom of her shoe with it's wings (she said she felt a wing) and then she tried stomping it and then shook her shoe and it flew away. Her story keep changing to where it was on her toes, or licked her, or it got mad, etc. but then it keeps coming back to the first story when I press her. Now this was in the middle of the day but it doesn't have been as worried because there is a pile of three dead bats in the driveway and she said this one was on top of the pile. I am assuming they were blown or knocked out of the tree.
Anyway, my diliama is that I have a rabies paranoia and am not sure if I can trust a five year old to tell me what happened. I talked to two people from the CDC and my doctor and they said it is up to me what should be done. They say if I feel confident that she wasn't bit that I should be comfortable in a decision not to get the shots. Here's the thing, one of the ladies from the CDC said you don't always know if you've been bitten or don't always see a mark because their teeth are so tiny. They can't give you advice really because of law suits.
What would you do if this was your child? I figure maybe she would have come in crying if she was bitten and the fact that this bat was on a pile of dead bats means maybe it got blown from a tree and just grabbed onto her shoe when she touched it, not that it was a sick bat out in the middle of daylight. I just need a little advice as I am freaking out here. Is it better to put her through a whole series of shots to be better safe than sorry or should I trust her and not worry? Has anyone had a close experience with a bat?
-Elizabeth

Edited by - babysmama on Jul 10 2009 3:57:41 PM

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  2:33:33 PM  Show Profile
I am so sorry you are freaking out. I certainly don't blame you. I don't feel like I'm qualified to give advice on the subject, but I'm here for moral support.

The chief source of failure and unhapiness is trading what you want the most for what you want at the moment.
Go to Top of Page

LauriP
True Blue Farmgirl

239 Posts

Laurianne
Hertford North Carolina
USA
239 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  2:49:52 PM  Show Profile
>> I just came online for the afternoon, and saw this post <<

Bats were everywhere along the Colorado River where my parents had a little knock-about trailer in the 70's, and there were more times than I can count of the times that bats (during the evening when they are out feeding) would swoop low over my head, and sometimes it did feel like they were in my hair.

I've seen bats during the day, sometimes clinging onto the side of a window screen or tree trunk, but I've always been told that they are sleeping during the day, and are not a risk to humans. Since they do the majority of their hunting at night, it sounds like what happened to the bats your daughter discovered, is sadly, that they were either injured or killed during the storm.

I haven't heard of anybody getting bit by a bat, tho I suppose that it does happen. The bat your talking about, may be one of the vegetarian bats, I think it's called a Fruit Bat. Their harmless to humans, and mostly eat seeds, fruit, etc., thus their name. I think that unless your daughter is acting like she's in pain, or has somekind of scratch that would really force the issue of getting the rabies shots, I'd just take a wait and see approach.

I Know this is a difficult decision for you to make, considering your attitude toward all things rabies, but another idea is to have somebody from either the Wildlife Protection Agency near you to come and make sure of what kind of species this bat, or these bats are. I'm not sure if Fruit Bats have a tendancy to carry rabies, I don't think I've ever read anything at either of the Parks Departments I've worked at. But somebody from the Wildlife Center - o - Agency should be able to help you out a lot better.

Think these ideas over before you jump into the car and make a big expensive trip to the ER. -- That would be really an ugly bill to have and then on top of it, have the bat not be something that carries rabies.

Laurianne
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  2:55:59 PM  Show Profile
We only have two types of bats here, the brown bat is the most common. I think it is a brown bat and they have been known to carry rabies, but not as often as the silver stripe bat (or whatever the other kind is). So it is *possible* for it to have rabies but the likely case is it was just injured in the storm and she provoked it to grab onto her shoe. I really don't want to put her through these shots if we don't have to, and she keeps insisting that it didn't bite her. But I don't know, I wasn't there to see how close to her the head was. I am just worrying about this as once the symptoms appear in a person that person has no chance of survival...I have a few days to figure out what to do and I know I am a worrywart, especially when it comes to bats and rabies. *Sigh*
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  3:56:12 PM  Show Profile
You know what, everytime I look at her and think that if there is even a slight chance she got bit it IS better to be safe than sorry. She changes her story and isn't totally clear on what happened so I'm not going to take the chance. We will take her in on Sunday to get the shots when we are in that town (which is an hour away). The ER doctor there said it is better to be safe. Thanks!
-Elizabeth

Edited by - babysmama on Jul 10 2009 3:57:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  7:32:04 PM  Show Profile
elizabeth, why can't you get the dead bat's brain tissue tested? or does that take too long? I'd also check with a few vets around and see if they've had any rabies cases around the area. . .my vet friend here(Ohio) has not seen any rabies cases here in any species. . .
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  8:12:15 PM  Show Profile
I think I would have scooped up the dead bats and taken them in to have them tested before resorting to getting those shots "just in case". They don't take too long testing dead animals if there is a possibility of a rabies outbreak. The shots are going to hurt alot and have to be given in a series. I'm afraid the paranoia you experience is going to also be transmitted to your daughter and then she'll be afraid of everything that can bite too. I hope everything works out ok. I know it's a tough call...

Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  8:44:42 PM  Show Profile
Well, because there were dead bats around it does not mean that this bat (that flew away) will/will not test positive just because they did/did not. I wish I could have had the bat that was on her tested but it flew away. Hubby threw the three dead ones in the trash.
There have been some confirmed cases of rabies in bats here the past several years. The ER doctor said that since she is a little girl and her story keeps shifting and since we aren't sure what part of the bat touched her that it would be better to play it on the safe side. Believe me, I am torn, I don't even vaccinate my children because of the possible side effects but when rabies is 100% fatal if contacted and a bat was on her and we weren't able to catch the bat I have to go with my gut which is to keep her safe "just in case".
I have known some people who have had the shots and it isn't like it used to be. It is just a series of shots not unlike immunizations so it is a prick and then fine. I talked to her and tried not to pass my paranoia on to her, I just told her that we can't touch wild animals and that they may have germs so that we will get the shot to stop any germs. It is a tough decision but even if there is 1% chance that it bit her and the shots can keep her safe then that is the route I will go. I appreicate all your comments and suggestions but I feel a sense a calm deciding on the shots. I don't want her to go through them if there is no reason but I keep thinking what if I don't get her the shots and she gets sick and dies? Since I wasn't outside with her I have no idea how much contact she had with it.
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  8:53:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I hope your little girl didn't get bitten and I hope the shots don't hurt to much. *hugs*

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  9:03:01 PM  Show Profile
That is a tough call, but you do what you need to do in a case like this. And everyone will have a different reaction to what happened. I hope it all goes well with your little girl. I will be thinking about her. Is it Sunday she'll have the shots?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2009 :  02:47:39 AM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
What a tough decision you've had to make. Huggzz to you for thinking about the safety of your child and deciding to do what you feel is in her best interest. The only known survivor of a rabid bat bite who did not receive the vaccine following symptoms lives in my area. She is a teenager and still has some residual effects. It took her a very long time to recover and she is one very very lucky young woman. She was bitten and didn't tell anyone about the bite. She simply forgot as it was hardly felt and in the course of her day quickly forgotten. There has been one man who did receive vaccine after symptoms started and he did make a full recovery but 2 people out of how many over the course of history is not very good odds. I think you're taking the best road for your little daughter.

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://fantasm01.imagekind.com/
http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2009 :  03:19:36 AM  Show Profile
That's a very interesting story.

Frustrating to not get a decent answer from your child though.

If the bat had bitten her, you both would have known! there would have been a mark of some kind

Sounds like the one was just stunned.

And I agree, getting the others tested wouldn't necessairly mean a positive or negative for rabies since the suspect one flew away.

These are very benificial creatures and I sure wish they didn't carry such a bad stigma....or bad disease for that matter!

Go to Top of Page

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2009 :  10:01:31 AM  Show Profile
I just read this week on the internet news that a little boy got bit on the toe by a bat under the edge of the refrigerator. Who knows why it was there but it had rabies. You are right to not take a chance. The shots are not like they used to be. Better safe than sorry. Anything wild runs the risk of having rabies.
Smiles and prayers, Melody June

God's gift to you are your talents, your gift to Him is how you use them.
Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2009 :  10:28:46 AM  Show Profile
glad to hear the shots aren't like they used to be :)
Go to Top of Page

vermont v
True Blue Farmgirl

194 Posts

Victoria
Chester Vermont
USA
194 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2009 :  4:50:28 PM  Show Profile

I think the choice to treat is best. I remember a case of a man in Montana dying from rabies and he did'nt even know he was bitten by a bat. Rabies is nothing to fool around with.
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2009 :  06:38:01 AM  Show Profile
Elizabeth, that's a really tough one. I think you made the right decision...if your daughter got sick or worse, you would never forgive yourself. She is so young and doesn't fully understand the dangers. I also heard that rabie shots aren't as bad as years ago. All the best to you and your daughter. She will be fine and again, I'm glad you made this decision.

"To have life in focus, we must have death in our field of vision." Benedictine monk John Main
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic What Would You Do? Bat and child Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page