True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  12:16:43 PM  Show Profile
Hello!
I found two wooden drying racks at a flea market-they were in rough shaped, but at 2 bucks each, I decided they were worth trying to save.

I had to clean the mildew off of them with a bleach solution and let them sit in the hot sun-vinegar didn't work. But, they look great now.

My question now is should I put some sort of finish or sealer on them? they seem to be plain, unfinished wood right now. I'm afraid that if I put wet clothes on them the mildew will come right back. Anyone out there know of a product that will protect the wood without harming the clothes?
Thanks!

Jennifer
Farmgirl Sister #104

"Nature brings to every time and season some beauties of its own".
-Charles Dickens

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  12:22:38 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
Hi Jennifer, I don't have an answer to your question but I am sure other farmgals will.

I do remember wood drying racks like that...loved them! I use them until they break...I guess I put heavy towels on them. NOW you should see all my clothes hangers now hanging on kitchen chairs and on the window curtain rods...redneck! . LOL

Linda in Scranton, PA
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  1:40:49 PM  Show Profile
Hi, Jennfier- I would just put a coat of spray acrylic on them to seal the wood and prevent it from bleeding onto your clothes. That's what I did with mine and I haven't had any problems. Of course, I had to learn the lesson the hard way- a white blouse and an unsealed wooden clothes rack do not mix well. :(
Enjoy your new dryers!

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

www.perfectlittlemiracle.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2009 :  4:49:20 PM  Show Profile
Thanks!
I got them all cleaned and finished with the spray acrylic you mentioned. They look fantastic-can't wait to use them!

Jennifer
Farmgirl Sister #104

"Nature brings to every time and season some beauties of its own".
-Charles Dickens
Go to Top of Page

Claude09647
True Blue Farmgirl

761 Posts

Claudia
Our Dairy Farm Pennsylvania
USA
761 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  8:45:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Claude09647 an AOL message
hello, i also had the same issue with mine, and i see you already found an option to fix them, when i received mine from my great grandmother, it had sat in her back room for years collecting dust and a few unwanted spider webs. I sealed mine with polyurethane. Its a sealer used for wood floors. You would have to brush it on, but it leaves a nice, shiny seal on it.

good luck

"If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door."
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2009 :  08:36:31 AM  Show Profile
For future referance, use un-diluted lemon juice to rid mildew on wood, brush it on , let it set in the sun, and rinse really well, let dry in the shade, ( drying in the sun will cause cracking in the wood) , then seal.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2009 :  09:09:54 AM  Show Profile
OH I'd love one of those. Some time ago I saw one at the "junk-market" in my village. It was cheap but still out of my price range. maybe someday, when things are better money wise, I will try the thriftstore again.

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2009 :  12:44:39 PM  Show Profile
I have two of them. Use them a lot for things I don't want to go in the dryer. I just saw a little one and a bigger one at the thrift last week and thought about how you guys would like to have them. I didn't buy them because I didn't need them. But I think if you guys watch the thifts and garage sales you will find them.

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  5:13:18 PM  Show Profile
I just bought a JUMBO sized one, brand new made by the Mennonites about 40 miles from me,$50.00 +tax. It's quilt size and almost too tall for my basement!
I love it, it is raw wood, but sanded so nice and smooth.
They also make the wall mount ones like we have seen in MJF magazine!
I saw one for $10 more at a Amish (loosely)type store(I think china made). 1/2 the size and really rough.

I'm torn if I should put a finish on it...
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

Claude09647
True Blue Farmgirl

761 Posts

Claudia
Our Dairy Farm Pennsylvania
USA
761 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  5:38:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Claude09647 an AOL message
Karen, i also got one of mine from the local amish, i have had it for about a year and i havent sealed it or anything and it still looks as good as the day i bought it

"If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door."

http://claude09647.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

katalind
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Kathy
Chapin SC
USA
177 Posts

Posted - May 26 2010 :  8:30:52 PM  Show Profile
I've used a special oil that they use on butcher blocks. It's a mixture of oil and wax that keeps the wood from cracking and protects if from mildew.
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  06:12:38 AM  Show Profile
I have two wooden drying racks-very old and still very useful. I take my bigger one to my soap shows to display my redwork flour sack dishtowels! Love it!

Melody
Farmgirl #525
www.melodynotes-melodynotes.blogspot.com
http://www.farmgirlhistory.blogspot.com/
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
www.longtallsallys.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

mrsamy
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

Amy
Milwaukee WI
USA
167 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2010 :  11:55:54 AM  Show Profile
I trash picked the side of a crib and am planning to attach a couple of hinges to one end (soon to be the bottom) and couple of chains to the other end (soon to be the top) so I can use it as a drying rack attached to the wall. I'm thinking a simple hook and eye will keep it flat against the wall when not in use. Laundry is done in the basement here, so looks aren't as important as floor space...

Prayer costs nothing, but is worth the most.
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Saving 2 drying racks Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page