Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 **Welcome Wagon
 Introducing Myself, From North-Central ID
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Introducing Myself, From North-Central ID Next Topic  

deaf-huntress
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Magi
Kendrick ID
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2004 :  5:04:43 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ya'll
I first read about Mary Jane's Farm in my local dentist's office. I was immediately smitten by the charming photos and articles! And since Moscow is so close to my home in Kendrick, I felt an instant connection to that magical place.
I am a home-schooling, apron-wearing, garden-growing, bread-baking, horse-riding mother of eight (YES...8 children) living on an enormous wheat farm in Northern Idaho.
I would really like to start making soap. Does anyone have any wisdom on that subject?
Thanks, Magi

It's not what you hear, but how carefully you listen.

Edited by - deaf-huntress on Oct 20 2004 5:05:59 PM

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2004 :  5:11:18 PM  Show Profile
Wow - I am humbled to read your introduction. Thank you for joining us.

This is a place where you will find people who pay attention to others. Farmgirls are like that.

Welcome, Magi! I bet your are a gift, just like the O'Henry story!

jpbluesky

Love those big blue skies and wide open spaces.
Go to Top of Page

deaf-huntress
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Magi
Kendrick ID
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2004 :  5:17:19 PM  Show Profile
Thank you, jpbluesky!

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2004 :  9:46:24 PM  Show Profile
I make soap all the time...but I bet there is someone with more knowledge..there are several of us here who do make soap I think.
Welcome!! You sound so much like the rest of us..and how lucky you are to be on a big farm!! WE are gonna love having you here!! Any soap questions I can answer I would love to help.

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

Idahospud
True Blue Farmgirl

67 Posts

Nikki
Emmett Idaho
USA
67 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2004 :  08:20:49 AM  Show Profile
Welcome, Magi!

Sounds like we have a few things in common--homeschooling, lotsa kids (I thought my almost-6 was a lot!), and a North Idaho connection. While we have horses, I don't really ride; my husband and kids do but I've never made it a priority to spend the time with/on them like I should.

I admire your bread-baking. I can make rolls (and I'm planning on making the roll recipe in the current MJF), but for some reason my bread always comes out dense and heavy rather than light and fluffy. Do you have tricks/tips, or a favorite recipe?

Glad to have you here!
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2004 :  08:57:52 AM  Show Profile
Welcome aboard Magi!
You are gonna love it here. I am just beginning to learn to make soap. I have an old workbasket magazine that gives an old fashioned recipe that uses up all the leftover fat from cooking. Sounds interresting. They make it look very easy. We shall see. With all those children you will not be hard up for help with all the farm chores. I am from a large family but only got to have three children.My father and mother were both from huge families of 9 children. There would have been more but there were miscarriages and bacterial infections that took some early. My grandmother was in the first graduating class from University Washington to accept Women. She graduated top in her class and she home schooled all 9 of her children until Highschool. I am picturing you with all of those children and an old fashioned one room school house. It must be fun!
Happy to make your aquaintance!
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2004 :  2:17:39 PM  Show Profile
Magi welcome ! You will find a group of funny, earthy, caring and sharing people on this site.We are diverse, have varying lifestyles but there is one thing that rings true for all of us. We are stewards of this good earth whether it be a suburban lot or your vast wheat fields. We want our children and grandchildren to know what we can reap and what we must invest to protect this rich heritage we cherish. Our traditions are unique but universal because they are rooted in the past, blossoming with love and grown for each of our futures. Magi,you're going to fit right in, welcome! Bramble

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

deaf-huntress
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Magi
Kendrick ID
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2004 :  5:39:45 PM  Show Profile
Bramble,
"Our traditions are unique but universal because they are rooted in the past, blossoming with love and grown for each of our futures."
You write beautifully....
Yes, rooted in the past is a great way to put it. I've been this way all my life. Never wanted to read a present-day novel. Never cared about "modern" decorating or styles. I'd rather have one pretty antique then walls full of Home Interiors stuff. (although now they DO have some cute country stuff)
We must be born to be farmgirls.

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2004 :  6:56:10 PM  Show Profile
Magi - tell us about your wheat farm. Do you harvest it all yourselves, or do you hire men to come in harvest time? How many acres? I picture the amber waves of grain with the big machinery working it's way across the horizon to harvest. And big blue skies......

jpbluesky

Go to Top of Page

deaf-huntress
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Magi
Kendrick ID
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2004 :  09:33:53 AM  Show Profile
Jeannie, You are picturing our area perfectly! Miles and miles of grains and legumes, dotted with old red barns and the occational farmhouse. The farm land is leased and worked by local farmers. We lease this enormous house and about 15-20 acres for our oun purposes. This place is 1100 acres, including a lake and two ponds.
My husband is a wildlife biologist... a gentleman farmer.... studying and working at the University of Idaho. He loves raising horses, cattle sheep, chickens,gardens etc. He certainly has the heart of a farmboy!
Our home was built in the 1880s, It is perfectly WONDERFUL> We have a cellar for food stores, a bread making room,even a butchering room. And we have 6 bedrooms. The place is perfect for us.
I take the wheat right out of the combines and grind it myself. I also get garbanzos and other legumes the same way.
We have deer, elk, moose, foxes, bobcats, many many bears and the occational wolfpack. We LOVE to go bear watching. A springtime favorite pastime of ours.

Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2004 :  10:39:56 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Magi I just said what I think everyone here feels! And see... I told you you'd fit right in! I'm with Jeannie, keep telling us about your life and your farm. I watched the farmer harvesting his soybeans last week and it occurred to me that I would love to be able to drive and see nothing but crops for as far as I could see. That must be what you do to some extent with such acreage!
My last house was 214 years old and boy do I miss it! Everyone thought I was crazy when I didn't register for china , silverware or crystal when I got married but I have always loved old stuff and knew when I found what was me it would be old! My son possess the only furniture in the house made after 1920!Your house sounds great! Most of my friends don't get it but they humor me and I've found this site fills that void...BIG TIME! Many talents and interests to share, it's a nice place to visit! Bramble

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2004 :  10:53:05 AM  Show Profile
Magi, Your piece of earth and sky sounds like the gates of heaven! Thanks so much for your sharing with all of us!

Time Flies
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2004 :  11:22:12 AM  Show Profile
Magi - I am in awe. It is so reassuring to know that places like yours still exist and profit and continue in America. We are so bombarded by urbanism.

Reading your post brought out the pioneer spirit that has always lived in my soul. Your home also sounds so inviting. Treasure each moment! And thank you for describing it so vividly. Write more about it anytime.

jpbluesky

Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Introducing Myself, From North-Central ID Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page