Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 What is your favorite fruit salad?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What is your favorite fruit salad? Next Topic  

Desiree
Farmgirl in Training

48 Posts

Desiree

USA
48 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  10:57:44 AM  Show Profile
Last week I was at the Pacific Coast for a wedding and vacation. I made a fruit salad with all the ripe fruit I had. It consisted of strawberries, apricots, cherries, grapes, casaba melon and dollop of whip cream, if desired.

Fruit season is one of my favorite times of the year. I think almost any combination is delicious. Do any of you farmgirls have a favorite?

Simple Living With Nature........Farmgirl #157
www.beyondagarden.blogspot.com

Edited by - Desiree on Jul 10 2009 11:03:14 AM

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  11:42:27 AM  Show Profile
Yes...I use grapes, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and honeydew melon, then mix a 1/3 cup of fresh lime juice, a 1/3 cup of honey and 1/3 cup of finely chopped mint and toss well. Chill for several hours before serving for flavors to meld and syrup to thicken. Serve with real whipped cream.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  11:57:56 AM  Show Profile
I LOVE fresh fruit salad...my favorite combo ...which is different...maybe not technically a fruit salad is grapefruit and avocado. YUM. I do mixed melons and strawberries with cut up apple and banana alot too. The kids love cantelope and fresh pineapple cut in cubes and mixed with a little honey over.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  12:07:16 PM  Show Profile
Aunt Jenny, your "salad" reminds me of the one they serve at the restaurant my husband works at...watermelon, cucumbers, mandarin oranges and basil slivers. Yum!!!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  8:33:32 PM  Show Profile
red onion, cucs, tomatos, peppers( all kinds), all chunked or sliced, alittle olive oil and some italian seasoning to taste, frig til cold, and its my favorite salad and dinner when its hot.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  9:55:15 PM  Show Profile
We like any fruits mixed together...usually without anything on it. Definately NO marshmallows (my MIL always puts mini marshmallows in her fruit salad). Jenny, one of our very favorite combinations is avocados, bananas, and strawberries tossed in a ginger/orange light dressing. Yum!

"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  10:07:02 PM  Show Profile
Oh Kelly..now I MUST try that...sounds great!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  10:13:10 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone tried Saturn peaches aka donut peaches? They are to die for sweet. Might make a dessert with some when they are ripe.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2009 :  03:46:54 AM  Show Profile
My favorite is ambrosia and the green pistachio one that has mini marshmallows

At home we take any variety of fruit and mix it w/ a flavored or vanilla yogurt

This one is marinated w/ italian dressing: small pieces of raw caluflour, same size for broccoli, sliced raw mushrooms cooked and chilled pasta of your choice

mix all chill yum!

And sometims i'll do a leafless salad w/ cukes, peppers, carrots and a sprinkle of feta cheese topped w/ dressing of choice I'm on a blue cheese kick right now

anybody else hungry for a potluck?
Go to Top of Page

Desiree
Farmgirl in Training

48 Posts

Desiree

USA
48 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2009 :  05:48:30 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for your replies. All the salads sound so yummy! Can't wait to try some. Since I have been a vegetarian (I do eat dairy.) most of my life, I am always looking for ideas or trying to create something new. My family is not always thrilled. Ha!

Yes, it is going to be a beautiful day here. A saladluck sounds great.

Simple Living With Nature........Farmgirl #157
www.beyondagarden.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Hosanna
True Blue Farmgirl

466 Posts

Hosanna
Alton Virginia
466 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2009 :  10:39:39 AM  Show Profile
I love fruit salad of any kind. For a real treat, try mixing a regular sized tub of Cool Whip, a small container of Pina-Colada yogurt, and 1 tsp. Almond flavoring. Mix in all kinds of bite sized fruit, and it is like a dessert. I had it at a bridal shower one time.
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2009 :  1:11:21 PM  Show Profile
Do you think you could substitute real whipped cream? I just cant handle the cool whip "Stuff".

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2009 :  03:29:17 AM  Show Profile
I don't think the real whipping creams hold air like cool whip.

The canned whipped creams and carton whipping creams wind up making deserts flat instead of fluffy

Have tried this w/ banana pudding and chocolate eclaire and it just isn't the same.

I don't like the artificial garbage either
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1692 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1692 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2009 :  7:23:12 PM  Show Profile
I like all fruit salads. I'll fix one up for my granddaughter with bananas, green grapes,strwberries, cantaloupe toss lightly with honey and chill. So good.
Laurie

suburban countrygirl at heart
Go to Top of Page

MissDotty
Farmgirl in Training

49 Posts

Anna
Coralville IA
USA
49 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2009 :  9:38:07 PM  Show Profile
I took this one to a family reunion today:

Orange Cardamom Fruit salad
1/4 cup sugar (or more if fruit isn't at peak)
zest of 1/2 orange
zest of 1/2 lime
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom

Using the bottom of a glass or measuring cup, muddle together the above. Press the zest into the sugar until the sugar looks like wet sand and everything is mixed.

Mix in:
1 cup blueberries
2 cups halved grapes
2 cups chopped nectarine, cut into pieces about the same size as the 1/2 grapes.

Let sit until the fruit gives up some of its juice, taste for sugar then squeeze over juice of 1/2 lime.

I belong to the less is more school of thought: never more than 3 fruits, an herb or zest and a spice (Basil and pepper are a good combo, so are mint and lime)

Edited by - MissDotty on Jul 12 2009 9:39:45 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What is your favorite fruit salad? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page