Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 Anyone else disappointed in Taste of Home ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic Anyone else disappointed in Taste of Home ? Next Topic  

1930sgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Joyce
Alberta
Canada
233 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  08:49:59 AM  Show Profile
Hi girls,

I have been really disappointed in Taste of Home magazine in the past 4 or 5 issues. I don't like the direction the magazine is taking since the new editor started. I've been subscribing to Taste of Home since the first issue, but I have let my subscription lapse this time. I prefer more recipe cards, less "artsy" photography, and less advertising. I wrote to tell them how much I missed the "old" format and the more down to earth recipes. All I got in return was a form letter telling me to resubscribe.

Anyone else not enjoying Taste of Home as much anymore?
Joyce

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  09:00:46 AM  Show Profile
I did notice the difference too. A great place to find the old version of the magazine is goodwill or even the library will have ones they give away. It is disappointing the so many magazines stray away from their original forms and load it up instead with ads. I guess with magazine "making" costs rising, they can't afford to publish on their own without the ads anymore :(
hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

"You are my strength when I am weak. You are the treasure that I seek. You are my all in all. Seeking You as a precious jewel; Lord, to give up I'd be a fool. You are my all in all."

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ranchmama
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Elise
Rosebud MT
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  1:11:43 PM  Show Profile
to look through while waiting in line and thought the same thing Joyce. The food in it didn't appeal to me. I know no one will eat it. It seemed hard to find the recipies! If that makes sence. The ads and photos got in the way. I like the Quick Cooking cookbooks from each year and get those.

Sad to hear about the magazine tho..
Elise

Every Child Deserves Our Love &
A Bear of Their Own
http://ATeddyForKeeps.org

http://ranchmama.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  1:26:40 PM  Show Profile
I dont get this one but my mom does and she said she doesnt like it eaither and isnt planning on renewing.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  7:24:08 PM  Show Profile
Elise - that is funny, I thought the same thing "where are the recipes?" I'm disappointed in it too - I used to get it because it always had stuff that my son and husband would like, now not really.
That is unfortunate that you didn't get a good response Joyce
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

1930sgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Joyce
Alberta
Canada
233 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2009 :  08:14:52 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for your view, girls

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who thinks the new direction the magazine is taking...isn't the best.

I really don't understand why Taste of Home would change so much. They were the #1 cooking magazine. Why change so dramatically, when it's obvious that readers like the magazine as it is?

My Mom and sister are not renewing their subscriptions either. I wonder what will happen to Taste of Home.

Joyce
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2009 :  08:22:13 AM  Show Profile
I took a look at it on the shelf at the store and was not impressed. With the price of magazines , I carefully weigh out if they are really worth it with good info before I buy. If I pick up one that has so many ads I can't find the articles I put it right back down. All of those little cards that fall out drive me crazy.
Go to Top of Page

mollybee
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

JoAnn
Rogue River OR
USA
29 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2009 :  08:27:27 AM  Show Profile
I also don't like the new Taste of Home. I subscribe to the Healthy cooking also. I bought subscriptions and paid for them for several family members, you know $10 for each person.
For months all they got was billed and not the magazine. I called to complain, still the bills kept coming. So I have not renewed my subscription.
Mary Janes is the only magazine for me.
Go to Top of Page

SarahJ
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Shreveport Louisiana
198 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2009 :  4:39:59 PM  Show Profile
I will not be renewing my subscription either. For the past year, I have not seen a single recipe that I wanted to try. I also dislike the new format, and find it harder to read.

SarahJ

Farmgirl Sister #116

http://bayoumama.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

1930sgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Joyce
Alberta
Canada
233 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2009 :  4:50:02 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for your input, girls

It's kinda sad that Taste of Home doesn't seem to understand their readers.

I will resubscribe if they change back to the previous format and home cooking recipes.

Joyce
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  9:27:17 PM  Show Profile
i'm glad you gals mentioned this... i was just considering getting a subscription for my friend who was looking through my old issues (from the year before last). she was saying how much she liked it, but if it's changed for the worst, forget it.

"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy."
-Guillaume Apollinaire
Go to Top of Page

1930sgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Joyce
Alberta
Canada
233 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  09:16:50 AM  Show Profile
Hi Elizabeth,

Unfortunately, Taste of Home has really changed a lot. I've been wondering if the editor will receive more letters like the one I sent and rethink the changes the magazine is taking. I would consider subscribing again, if they chose to go back to the great magazine it used to be.

Joyce
Go to Top of Page

Trace
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Tracey
Canton New York
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  11:29:52 AM  Show Profile  Send Trace a Yahoo! Message
I've gotten TOH since it's begining and from what I have seen, not all change is good. The thing that dissapoints me most, is the advertising. I subcribe to other cooking mags and they seem to be doing well without all the advertising crap.

Trace
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Anyone else disappointed in Taste of Home ? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page