goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  09:21:51 AM  Show Profile
I was given a bunch of iris's and now ready to plant them. I know I'm supposed to cut the tops off but aren't I supposed to do something with the roots?? They are bunched together too.

What else do I do or do I just plant the suckers??

Winona

To read funny stories about my cooking 'skills', please visit http://lostadventuresincooking.blogspot.com/

For uber-opinionated, pleasurable horse related reading, please visit http://horseinfoperson.blogspot.com/

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  12:25:43 PM  Show Profile
Hi Winona,
Separate the bunches, trim the tops off to about 6" and plant them. Not too deep. The actual rhizome likes to be mostly out of the soil. Good luck. Do you want some more? I have lots of really pretty ones that I'm dividing right now too.

Marcia

It's not about being perfect, but enjoying what you do. Set aside time to be creative.

Robyn Pandolph

Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  8:24:50 PM  Show Profile
Iris's DO NOT like their feet wet, make sure they are in well drained soil, or they will rot, also be aware of boreing beetles, they will destroy the rhizomes in a matter of days.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2009 :  06:33:11 AM  Show Profile
And they don't like their "feet" covered, either. So no mulch or at least maybe a light leaf covering in winter.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

donna rae
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Donna Rae
Virginia Beach VA
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2009 :  07:10:53 AM  Show Profile
I usually plant mine as the others have said: with the rhizome above the soil level and the roots buried beneath the soil. I plant them in little clusters of 3 or 4 with the tips of the rhizomes pointing inward toward the center of the cluster. Mine are in well-drained soil in full sun with a bit of late afternoon shade. I dig them up and divide them for friends and neighbors every 5 years or so as they are very talented iris-baby producers.

Good luck and enjoy these spring beauties!

Donna Rae
Farmgirl Sister # 593
Colonial Farm Girls
Williamsburg, VA
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Iris question, need info/help Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page