prairieprincess
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Pat
Ault CO
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2006 :  8:50:37 PM  Show Profile
When I first paged through the Farmgirl book and saw the picture of the weave-it frame it was a definite blast from my childhhod past. I eventually inherited my grandmother's little loom but alas a few of the nails were missing. I found another one on ebay which I purchsed and was wondering if anyone out there may have any patterns to share. It seems I always get outbid when I try to get a pattern book - I refuse to pay more than $10.00. I just have the original doublesided instructions that came with my grandmother's loom and it is very brittle & falling apart.
Thanks,
Pat

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2006 :  9:45:33 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Pat...I wish I could help you out with weave it patterns...surely one of the farmgirls here will be some help.
Be sure to go to the welcome wagon section and introduce yourself..so we can get to know you....I am glad you found us!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2006 :  08:09:52 AM  Show Profile
Hello Pat, first, welcome, you will love it here. I weave & spin & have a few looms but I am not quite sure what loom your talking about. Is it a regular frame loom that you can sit on your lap? I have many patterns for just about any loom that I'd be happy to send you. Just fill me in a bit & give me more info on what you need OK? Michele

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2006 :  11:23:04 AM  Show Profile
HI Pat, Within the last couple month's Martha Stewart's magazine had a wonderful article about Weave-Its. They had some beautiful things made up using the Weave-Its, little bit about it's history etc. JoAnn

I've always been called a dreamer, but I never listened. I did what others dare not do--lived my dream while they watched. Unknown
Go to Top of Page

prairieprincess
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Pat
Ault CO
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2006 :  7:15:42 PM  Show Profile
Thanks so much. I found the Feb Martha Stewart Living at the library today. That's exactly what I was talking about. It's good to know someone has started to make the looms again. They're small enough to take along.
Go to Top of Page

mustbeteatime
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Colette
MN
USA
39 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2006 :  3:27:51 PM  Show Profile
Hi,

What a neat topic! This is just the thing for someone (like me) with no extra space in the house for a large loom. I pulled up some great sites quickly through a web search and found the site for the new manufacturer (Buxton Brook). I just might have to get one and give it a try! I'm thinking coasters (to start with) made from thick, thirsty wool yarns... I have some lopi left from my college weaving days... Thanks for the inspiration gals! -Colette
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2006 :  8:29:46 PM  Show Profile
I found a neat article (with patterns!) online for these type looms, thought you all might be interested. :) Looks like FUN!

http://www.angelfire.com/super/weavies/

Rhonda

...and I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance, even if I'm the only one!
Go to Top of Page

kellyooo
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

4 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2006 :  05:15:56 AM  Show Profile
There is a new website www.eloomanation.com that has all kinds of information on weave-it looms, there is even pdf's of the old time books that the weave-it commpany put out, under projects. It is a really excellent site. Kelly
Go to Top of Page

Yogifarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Jenn
Swiftwater PA
USA
297 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2006 :  06:44:50 AM  Show Profile  Send Yogifarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
What kinds of things can you make with a weavette loom?? I love knitting, it seams similar? It also reminds me of those potholder looms for kids in the craft store.

"Breathe in the Sunshine"
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2006 :  07:56:08 AM  Show Profile
you can make alot of things on the weave-it looms or a lap loom. A friend of mine made a very primitive frame loom and thats what I started making little rugs from. Harrisville makes a great little frame loom. I think the difference in looms (I may be wrong) is the frame looms I work on have little nails at the top & bottom that you string for your warp. The weft is the material you use to fill your warp. With lap looms you have a wonder wand, a tool to make your shed & it presses down on every other thread. I am NOT sure but I think a weave it loom may have nails or pegs on all 4 sides. I never used one myself so prarieprincess can tell you more. I do have alot books on weaving for just about all methods, so if anyone wants to borrow them, please just let me know.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

kellyooo
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

4 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2006 :  05:51:41 AM  Show Profile
Weave-it or Weavette looms have pins on four sides. They make a neat square or rectangle. All kind of things can be made on them. If you follow the links you see some examples as well as pictures of the looms. The weavettes are the current version of weave-it. the website for these is www.weavettes.com you can buy the new looms there or on ebay I found the postage cheaper on ebay. The old weave-it looms can be gotten on ebay but since the article in "Martha Stewart Living" and the article in "Spin-off magazine" they have become hard to get inexpensively on e-bay. The newer looms come in a greater selection of sizes.
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2006 :  09:45:44 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
Elumination just updated about 6 days ago there are about 10 more books of patterns for free

have a lovely day

Edited by - sunshine on Mar 28 2006 3:52:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2006 :  09:49:03 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
It is hard to get the weavettes right now hte size 4x4 is sold out because of martha stewart but if you wait a little bit for the back order it is worth it plus I talked to them about three weeks ago and they are going to try and make the old rug loom which on ebay goes for as much as 150.00. also they are going to try and make the old bias loom too in the future. Which is near impossible to find the old way because they where not very popular when they first came out

have a lovely day

Edited by - sunshine on Mar 28 2006 3:52:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2006 :  2:04:16 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
to kellyoo which month of spin off

have a lovely day
Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2006 :  09:06:42 AM  Show Profile
As far as I know, the Weavette is still being made and is available in rectangles as well as squares. If you Google 'Weavette' you will probably come up with a few sources.

I had one as a kid, also. There was a wonderful wool throw (very heavy) in our house made by my sil's grandmother. She had even cross-stitched her initials on one of the squares. When my parents passed, it finally went back to my sil. I liked nothing better than to snuggle up with it when I was a kid and not feeling good.

Jana
Go to Top of Page

kellyooo
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

4 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2006 :  09:33:05 AM  Show Profile
Spin off Winter 2006 and Martha Stewart Living February 2006 both had articles on weave-it/weavette looms. The new weavette looms are being sold on ebay for about the same price as the manufacter has them for. In fact a little cheaper because shipping I think is cheaper. The seller is Winderwood Farms and last I knew they still have all sizes. I just order from them and got them fast, they will even combine the shipping costs.
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2006 :  12:50:05 AM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
I saved the Martha Stewart article if anyone wants it!
Go to Top of Page

rabbithorns
True Blue Farmgirl

544 Posts

Allison
Fort Scott KS
USA
544 Posts

Posted - May 02 2006 :  8:27:58 PM  Show Profile
Just found an old original Weave-It loom in its box at a thrift store. It has a paper inside telling what it is with old photos (40's or 50's?) but no instructions and no needle (did one come with it?). There were a bunch of finished squares with it.

But thanks to the farmgirls (trumpets blasting) I found this thread and found eloomanation.com on the thread. I'm hoping to use the loom soon. (as well as do 50 other projects!)
Go to Top of Page

lvg4him
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

Colorado
USA
34 Posts

Posted - May 03 2006 :  4:32:08 PM  Show Profile
I bought my daughter one of the simple plastic ones (like I grew up with - you remember using cut and dyed pantyhose to make potholders??). She was SO EXCITED to see all the stuff on the eloomanation site (thanks SO MUCH for sharing that). And THANKS SO MUCH for starting this thread!

I noticed that the looms are a bit different (kinda like sets of three prongs space three prongs, etc.) than the one I bought her. Does anyone have directions for how to make your own and where to be able to find a needle that would work?

THANKS!
Go to Top of Page

earthcore
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Kate
Ohio
USA
19 Posts

Posted - May 04 2006 :  4:56:21 PM  Show Profile
Hi all! I have one of these little looms, but I've never been successful at using it. Towards the end of each square, everything gets super, super tight and the little loops pop off. Very frustrating. Any tips?
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - May 15 2006 :  2:53:42 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
usually if you work the stitches tword the middle sort of like the tamping that you would give a normal item being woven on a big loom this helps. The other thing is if your yarn is to thick for the spacing this will also happen use a little thinnner yarn and see what happens. If you go to eloomination they also have a link to a place where you can get a pin template to make your own. But he prices are going down on ebay now far enough I guess from feb Martha stewart that people are on to the next trend

have a lovely day
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2006 :  8:17:18 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
wondered if any one was making anything with the old weaveit looms. If you are what size loom are you using and what are you making.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe

www.sunshines.etsy.com
http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/
http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home
Go to Top of Page

newheart
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Margie
Owings Mills Maryland
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2006 :  5:39:43 PM  Show Profile
I brought a set of "Looms" from a craft store here called Michaels.. and they are 5 in the set, small to large and there are patterns books for them I think they have a webb site www.michaels.com..

nh
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2006 :  5:58:54 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
If you are referring to the kniffty knitter , circular,that is a hat loom for knitting on loom. I hope you have lots of fun with that. We have those and my children use to make baby hats on them to give as gifts for the people in my church and for new baby cousions. What I am refearring to is the old weave it looms , square, it for weaving on a hand loom. Now being remade by buxton books see web site. http://www.weavettes.com/

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
www.sunshines.etsy.com
http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/
http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home

Edited by - sunshine on Aug 15 2006 6:09:13 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Weave-It Patterns Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page