my5kidzmom
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Jill
Sparks NV
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2009 :  10:03:48 AM  Show Profile
Hello, Everyone! I am new to this site and just introduced myself on the welcome wagon a bit ago. This looks like a great place to ask my question... I am a married, home school mom of 5 kids ages 15-8(tomorrow). I am a pioneer, simple girl at heart, and my husband and I are seriously considering pulling up stakes here in Nevada and buying a small farm in the midwest. We long for a simpler life and a healthier lifestyle than what we feel we can get here. What do you think? Have you done this? Let me know, Am I crazy? my5kidzmom

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2009 :  12:39:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Jill- I certainly can empathize with you! I am on a 4 year plan to get onto property. We are currently busy fixing our financial affairs and should be in good shape in about 4 years to buy property.

The Midwest or even the Inland Northwest is beautiful. I have lived in Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho and couldn't ask for better locations. I love the "home town" feel where the kids can still play in the yard or go to baseball practice without worrying about scary people. I love it that people wave to each other around here and that people still congregate at coffee shops and feed stores to "shoot the breeze". Try www.findyourspot.com after answering a survey of questions it tells you the best places for you to live.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2009 :  1:42:57 PM  Show Profile
Hi Jill,
It is not crazy. My husband thought I was crazy to want to leave Northern CA and move to TX 15 years ago. I longed to be in the country to raise my sons in the wide open air. We did move, I also home schooled my sons. Everything we did on the farm was part of their learning. We raised a steer each year for the freezer, 3 pigs and lots of chickens. They learned how to care for all of them and were proud of knowing they were part of putting food on our table. We had two stock ponds that they filled with different fish. Once again they had fun fishing and providing food. Kids learn so much more living in the country. They were never bored and were not hooked to the ninetindo games. If it's your dream, just go for it. It will all work out.
Melody June

God's gift to you are your talents, your gift to Him is how you use them.
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2009 :  2:32:52 PM  Show Profile
Hi Jill,
A great farmgirl to talk to about this would be K-Falls Farmgirl, Cheryl. Her and her husband did just this same thing. I am sure she'd be willing to tell you all about it. She's a real sweetie!
HUGS and welcome to the Farm!!

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

"You are my strength when I am weak. You are the treasure that I seek. You are my all in all. Seeking You as a precious jewel; Lord, to give up I'd be a fool. You are my all in all."

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2009 :  4:09:38 PM  Show Profile
Jill:
I surely don't think you or your husband is crazy. I say, do what it is your heart. From what your post said, the move would only better all of y'alls life. God for it!!!! Good luck.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2009 :  7:36:42 PM  Show Profile
See. Everyone agrees with you about a simple lifestyle. You are NOT alone. Did you do anything with your starter? If you run into trouble let me know. Cindy

If life gives you scraps, make quilts!
Go to Top of Page

my5kidzmom
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Jill
Sparks NV
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2009 :  9:48:53 PM  Show Profile
Hi, reading all about the starter. Looking foward to using it. Thanks if I have troubles I'll hollar, I'm sure you'll hear me.... Great site. Thanks..Jill
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  04:59:46 AM  Show Profile
I say " Go for it Girl!!!"
We did and I am happy to say, glad we did!! It is an adjustment in many ways, some you won't even realize until you do it. . . others are anticipated for sure.

Speaking for myself, the best part of our simple lifestyle is we provide for ourselves and have extra to share with those in need. Priceless in my book. The way we were living before, all the stress and the noise and running from place to place. . . just not for me. I am so happy now that we are "Home".

Wishing you much success on your venture!!

Joanna #566
JojoNH

http://www.CountryCents.com
http://CountryCents.Blogspot.com
http://Twitter.com/Eastwooddesigns
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  11:22:07 AM  Show Profile
Jill, I sure hope ya'll are able to do it. The best time is now. If you think about it too long you could talk youselves out of it. It's a buyers market now, too. There a lots of places around here for sale. I always jump first then think later. And sometimes the simple life ain't so simple. I could tell you some stories about that. But there's nothing any better than coming home from being in town and hearing the peace and quiet again! I love my little Outback Farm. It's great here when all the critters are good and they're all fed and full and happy. But it's not always that way. There is a lot of work to do and always will be. Right now I'm waiting for this evening to go tackle the weeds in the gardens again. It's too hot right now. Then there is a fence to fix, fill up all the water troughs,goats to milk again, chickens to feed again, husband to feed again...

But I say go for it, too. Do it while ya'll are still young enuf to do anything. And plant lots of fruit trees and berries right away!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  12:06:10 PM  Show Profile
Hi Jill and welcome! I don't think anybody here would tell you to NOT to it! The realities are that at times it's not so simple as Kristin says, but the rewards are many. We made the move ten years ago with three teens and have never looked back. And that job list is never ending and somedays it seems to get longer instead of shorter, but it is so very rewarding to complete projects and look at your accomplishments.
So I will join the others and say chase your dreams.

Di on VI
Farmgirl Sister #73
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2009 :  12:54:27 PM  Show Profile
Absolutely. Go for it. I was a city girl until five years ago, when my dh & I could finally get to the farm. It's a lot of hard work, but I'll never look back. Just understand that 'simple' life can be pretty tough, sometimes, but I've found that, if I love it enough, I can stick it out through the tough times. And trust me, I love it MORE than enough!!!!!

from the hearts of paradise...
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2009 :  1:23:37 PM  Show Profile
If your're crazy, then so are about 1000 of us farmgirls! Welcome to the neighborhood! Make yourself at home!!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
http://harvestthyme.blogspot.com
~the only thing for certain, is uncertainty~
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  05:25:55 AM  Show Profile
No you aren't crazy cause if you are a lot of us would have to join you We moved out here 1 1/2 years ago and are starting a farm from nothing! Our children are grown so we aren't exactly spring chickens anymore but has been a dream and even with all the work, and frustration, I would not trade it for anything in the world. We are usually pretty broke but we have a home and land and take it one day at a time, simplifying and enjoying it.
Rae

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31
Go to Top of Page

TheresaB
True Blue Farmgirl

393 Posts

Theresa
Loveland Colorado
USA
393 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  3:48:05 PM  Show Profile
I'm right there with ya girl. I'm a homeschooling mom of 3. Hubster works remotely and can do so anywhere. We've been dreaming of this for awhile now. Just have to get financially in a bit better position. Hubster makes good money now, but for years we lived off credit. :( Anyone got a farm for farmgirl with BIG dreams?

Theresa in Colorado
Proud Farmgirl Sister #124
www.thegypsysdaughter.etsy.com
www.thegypsysdaughter.blogspot.com

"I see skies of blue, clouds of white, the bright blessed day, the dark sacred night, and I think to myself, "What a Wonderful World!" ~ Louis Armstrong
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  8:54:00 PM  Show Profile
jill, you are most definately NOT crazy for wanting to uproot to a smaller place... i had lived in the middle of nowhere my last two years of high school, forced to follow my parents and their dream of living in the boonies. but i loved it. when i went into the navy, i was stationed on oahu, HI. that experience made me realize i really was a country girl at heart. i hated all the noise, traffic, and city life... i had the "itch" to be in the country. so when my hubby and i finally had the chance, we got out of the city and into a very small town. it was only then i realized i wanted to try gardening and having animals and all went from there to where we are now.... i say, if you have the "itch", scratch it! it's absolutely exciting to live your dream and you will be even more thankful you did it when you think back on these times!

"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy."
-Guillaume Apollinaire
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Am I crazy? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page