Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 **News from MaryJanesFarm
 Farm Fair 2009 shakedown!!!!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author **News from MaryJanesFarm: Previous Topic Farm Fair 2009 shakedown!!!!!! Next Topic
Page: of 2

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16373 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16373 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2009 :  06:34:36 AM  Show Profile
Oh my, what a huge success Farm Fair 2009 was. And we have our one and only Prosserfarmgirl Rene Groom to thank … profusely. Rene started mapping out our FF weekend a year ago. She attended meetings in all the small towns; burned the midnight oil; and put serious hum to phone lines between here and there. Not only is she a miracle worker event planner, she’s been an absolute pleasure for everyone to work with. Whenever I’ve stopped in the seven small towns that she put on her map, I’d hear things like, “We just love Rene!” “You’ve found the perfect organizer in that Rene gal from Prosser.” I knew everyone was in good hands.

When I first dreamed up Farm Fair, I envisioned holding it in Oakesdale at my Old Mill but logistically that felt overwhelming, so it was held here at my farm for a few years while I, well, until, I found Rene. Unless you’ve planned or help plan an event of this size, you really can’t appreciate the incredible detail that goes into it. My husband and crew will continue working yet another two weeks hauling, sorting, and putting away for next year.

Here’s the shakedown so far. The towns are saying things like, “What a ripping success.” This small town has never seen that many people.” “We stayed open well past 7:00 because we didn’t want to turn anyone away.” “We ran out of EVERYTHING, we never dreamed you could bring so many people into our town.”

Of the thousands that came through Oakesdale, at least 800 people stood in line in the hot sun to tour our Old Mill. My husband and a local guy, Sam Peringer, took them through 20 to 30 at a time, non-stop from 10 to 7 pm, explaining as they went what all the machinery did and how flour was milled back then.

It has always been my dream to somehow bring commerce into the tiny towns that were on Saturday’s passport map and to get people--donors--excited about helping me keep my Old Mill alive and well. Thank you, thank you, thank you, Rene (and hubby Tom) for helping me realize my dream BIG TIME but also for benefitting the thousands of people who came and enjoyed the day. A round of applause for RENE!!!!! AND THANK YOU EVERYONE WHO CAME!!!!!

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2009 :  07:09:59 AM  Show Profile
Hey Queen Bee, I am seeing another Roundtop, Brimfield in the future. You know the the big ones started with about 15 people in the middle of no where. You all have done a fantastic job, and Rene I promise to come a few days early just to be your gopher. Is it not amazing what farm girls can do.

Farm Girl #96

http://www.picturetrail.com/misswilmasplace

http://misswilma.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

AlyssaMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

AlyssaMarie
Palouse Washington
USA
287 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2009 :  07:46:23 AM  Show Profile
MaryJane, Thank you so much for having the vision to put on an event like this! And thank you to Rene for doing the hard foot work. We are new to farming and live in Palouse and we were called to have a lamb in the petting zoo in Palouse. We were so excited to feel apart of the community and to meet our neighbors. My husband was blown away by the interest in what we are doing on our little farm by everyone that stopped by the booth. We took the family up to Oaksdale in the morning and we had a great time. My husband really enjoyed the tour your husband gave of the mill. He's been talking about it since. The couple running the cutting table for the Farmgirl fabrics were so much fun! Thank you Thank you for helping our family to make some fabulous July 4th memories!

AlyssaMarie @ Link'd Hearts Ranch
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16373 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16373 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2009 :  08:09:10 AM  Show Profile
Pleased to meet you AlyssaMarie! And thank you from the bottom of my heart for your participation in Farm Fair. I'm proud to say the couple selling fabric was my son and pregnant daughter-in-law. It's their first child, so we're plenty excited for them.

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

farmgirlruns
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Dana
Mount Vernon WA
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2009 :  09:50:21 AM  Show Profile
It was the best time ever. We drove home through Snoqualamie,Carnation,Duvall,Snohomish and Monroe. I could see a Farm Fair on the west side working through these little towns.Of course, there is nothing that matches the beauty of the Palouse. I just couldn't cease saying,"This is so beautiful, I could live here."
You made us feel like old friends even though we had met a long three years ago. I love that about you MaryJane. What a gift you have. Thank you Rene' for a job well done with your heart put into the entire afair.
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2009 :  10:05:19 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
You should all be so proud of yourselves. This shows what hard work and 'shoulder to the wheel' and a whole lotta love will accomplish. Thanks to everyone who shared their stories and photos. Every picture of that old mill makes me want to just stand next to it and touch that weathered gray wood. Maybe next year...

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2009 :  10:08:11 AM  Show Profile
I am sorry that I missed meeting up with you MaryJane, car troubles sent us home early, but I know that you were wonderful, and I will cultivate my acre within and plant it with lovely heirlooms too!
It was wonderful travelling around the Palouse and meeting so many of my lovely fellow farmgirls and sisters...And our little pre-BB&B Maven junkin' run was a hoot!

Thank you MaryJane and Rene and all of you wonderful talented people for making such a wonderful experience!
Can't wait til next year!

Hugs!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2009 :  10:37:00 AM  Show Profile
It is so wonderful that you've put such an event together. I was thinking of all the Farmgirls having fun and wished many times I was there with you all.
Hopefully I will be able to come next year.
Corinne

Sister # 101
'Heaven on Earth' is a choice you must make, not a place you must find.
Dr. Wayne Dyer
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2009 :  10:43:27 AM  Show Profile
Big Sigh...
I am home in Ohio but The Palouse fills my heart. Thank you to all! What a ride gals, what a ride....!!!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
http://harvestthyme.blogspot.com
~the only thing for certain, is uncertainty~
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2009 :  12:35:47 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations on the new grandchild. You are one special grandma! JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2009 :  3:51:17 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Thanks to everyone~
I can honestly say that I sat out to help with this event; I knew it was MaryJane heart to introduce her beloved farmgirls with her home... the Palouse. High motivation for me, and an honor to lend any talents I may have to a cause (Farmgirling) that I so strongly believe in. It is so true that un-less you have organized an event like this, there is no way that you can even begin to imagine what goes into it. So, I can't thank you enough, to those that have so lovingly shown me "grace" in the mist of my "shooting for the moon". Each positive email that has come in has become such a treasure. I have learned a lot through this experience and I promise next years event will be finer tuned, yet equally as grand.
Thank you to all the farmgirls who made the effort to come and "hunt me down" and introduce yourselves. I met more "sisters" than I could have ever dreamed possible and feel richer for the friendships.
Here at the farm, we are simple people. Truly. I think some forget that. They see the beautiful Magazines, and books and book deals and what ever celebrity that comes with all that. But truly, we are, like most Americans doing what we need to do. An event like this can be so costly, and yet we couldn’t imagine not doing it. So when it is met in the spirit that it was intended, it all seems right with the world.
This week has been an emotional one for me. Fatigue? Emotional? trying to process it all? But this much I do know...
I work for one of the hardest working women I have ever met.
I work with the most talented people I have ever had the honor to work with.
And every day that I wake up, I count it as a privilege to be called a MaryJane Farm Girl and "sister". So when you all buy our products, subscribe to our magazine, and make the investment to come and hang out with us with events like this, it lets us know that you are as committed to the process, and to the “farmgirl” ways. We saw that in spades over the 4th.
We will soon be back to the drawing board planning 2010.

Thanks again!

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

http://www.maryjanesfarm.com/RFBlog/
www.twitter.com/RuralFarmgirl

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2009 :  4:07:44 PM  Show Profile
What a wonderful way to celebrate the Fourth of July.. although I am really tired after the 12 hour car ride back home, I Feel so full . Full of hope for the future of farmgirls. The world is a better place with all our energy and hard work going into the farmgirl spirit. I have a huge respect for the "space I have claimed as a farm girl". It was wonderful meeting so many of my "sistas". Rene you are amazing. I know it took hours of planning and I am sure the next fair will be even better with all the comments & suggestions I heard. WOW Mary Jane It was an honor to meet you and for you to sit at the Klamath Falls Charming Chicks decorated table. Everything was all and more than I expected. Thank You again!

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309
Klamath Falls "Charming Chicks Chapter" Mother Hen

Almost daily posts at:
http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/

Grandmas are mom's with more icing.
Go to Top of Page

gspringman
True Blue Farmgirl

387 Posts

Gail
Bonanza Oregon
USA
387 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2009 :  4:09:39 PM  Show Profile  Send gspringman a Yahoo! Message
MaryJane, I had a fabulous time at the fair. I first met you Friday night at the mall where you signed my book. I felt like a giddy kid to actually be meeting you in person. I met some of your family throughout the weekend and they were all as pleasant to speak with as you were. Thank you all for making me feel comfortable and welcomed. Rene, thank you for all you did to help put out such a grand time for all.

Gail
Farmgirl #486
Planting Zone 5
http://grammasladybug.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2009 :  4:09:49 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Thank You Cheryl! It was a joy to meet you all.....

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2009 :  4:42:33 PM  Show Profile
MAryJane, for 20 years (1984-2004), I planned a big fair (Sugarplum Fair) here in Tally. 72 Vendors were the most we ever had, and we had three different locations over the years, one an old farm, one a vineyard winery and one a historic platntation.......we worked on it all year, and we were only regional, not national. I say this only because I am so glad that your event went well, and that the weather held, though hot. Been there, too! Someday, I hope to attend yours! Congrats on a great event!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

TheresaB
True Blue Farmgirl

393 Posts

Theresa
Loveland Colorado
USA
393 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2009 :  5:04:37 PM  Show Profile
Go, Rene! I SO wish I could have been there with y'all. Perhaps I should start saving now for next year.

Theresa in Colorado
Proud Farmgirl Sister #124
www.thegypsysdaughter.etsy.com
www.thegypsysdaughter.blogspot.com

"I see skies of blue, clouds of white, the bright blessed day, the dark sacred night, and I think to myself, "What a Wonderful World!" ~ Louis Armstrong
Go to Top of Page

AlyssaMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

AlyssaMarie
Palouse Washington
USA
287 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  12:36:44 PM  Show Profile
MaryJane and Rene - I'm a new farmgirl and don't know much, but I'm willing to learn. As long as you won't mind a baby on my hip, I'm a local gal with a willing spirit to pitch in and lend a hand where you might see fit to put me next year or in the planning for next year. I know sometimes it just takes an extra set of hands, so feel free to ask, I'm not far away.

AlyssaMarie @ Link'd Hearts Ranch
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  2:51:34 PM  Show Profile
AlyssaM: that is genuine farmgirl can-do attitude. I'm sure you will be a huge asset to the FarmFair next year. All I've heard about farm fair 2009 has been positive, giddy and downright enthusiastic! If I'm there, I'll hold the baby for ya for awhile!!!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-QMD
http://harvestthyme.blogspot.com
~the only thing for certain, is uncertainty~
Go to Top of Page

kpaints
True Blue Farmgirl

1564 Posts

karen
cheney wa
1564 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  6:40:47 PM  Show Profile  Send kpaints an AOL message
What an incredible weekend this was!!!! It was wonderful to meet so many farmgirls and to view all the talent displayed. My heart tugged many times this weekend, especially when Rene' gave her speech, I could hear the love in her heart in her sweet voice. I believe she gave something to every single person at the Farm Fair this year! What a fabulous job she did along with all the 'behind the scene' people!
I was especially taken by the mill, I could have stayed there a week taking pictures and floating back in time. And Nick was so patient and informative during the tour. Not sure how he did it all day, I bet he couldn't talk that night!! :D
And finally, dear sweet MaryJane, you infused this whole weekend with your true sweetness and dedication. A simply elegant barefoot farmgirl who symbolizes the true heart of any country loving farmgirls around.

Find your joy and live it. http://cheneybaglady.blogspot.com/http://www.kpaints.etsy.com http://www.thevintagebaglady.etsy.com FG #377

Edited by - kpaints on Jul 09 2009 6:44:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bee Haven Maven
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

Beverly
Pennsylvania
USA
1862 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  6:46:37 PM  Show Profile  Send Bee Haven Maven an AOL message
I, too, felt a lump in my throat listening to Renee. Bravo gals on a wonderful weekend! I made the trip from PA and it was well worth the plane fare. To finally put faces to names and meet so many exceptional women was such a pleasure. Everything was first rate as I knew it would be! Kuddos to Maryjane, Renee and everyone who played a part in making this quite a memorable weekend.

I have posted a few pics on my blog and will continue to post more as I get time!

Visit my blog at: www.sewonandsewfourth.blogspot.com
Visit our farm at: www.beehavenacres.blogspot.com
Aprons for sale at: www.apronmaven.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lacisne88
True Blue Farmgirl

1181 Posts

Chelsey
Lake Stevens Washington
USA
1181 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  6:54:14 PM  Show Profile
It was simply amazing! Thank you for such a wonderful time!

Chelsey
Farmgirl Sister #283

http://farmgirlpleasures.blogspot.com/

http://aminiatureworld.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Pearlsnjeans
True Blue Farmgirl

248 Posts

Vicki
West Haven Utah
USA
248 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  7:25:24 PM  Show Profile
Farm Fair was GREAT! An experience I’ll always remember and treasure. Thanks to Rene and all others who helped plan this event. Also thanks to Wendy H and Scott for chauffeuring me from and to the Spokane airport. I met so many wonderful sisters,can't name them all here; but I do have to mention Carol. In one of the magazines, MaryJane talks about Carol's laugh. After meeting her, everytime I would hear her laugh, I just laughed myself. It's such a happy sound. MaryJane is very gracious and personable. She just laughed as everyone asked for pictures and hugs. Her family are also all very friendly and fun. I love small towns, the people are so friendly. It was really neat to talk with some of the older farmgirls who have lived and farmed in those small towns their entire lives. Sweet Ester at the Fairfield Museum who at 94, still has a smile for everyone and loves to share the history of her small town. Monday morning, while waiting for my flight, I thought, it would be so much fun to just turn around and take another drive down the Palouse. What beautiful country! There were so many wonderful sights, smells and tastes. A lady at Comforts of Home had Apple Butter. It was yummy and certainly took me back for a great trip down memory lane. Funny that I had just been thinking that I need to get my mom’s apple butter recipe. I’m always amazed at the many talents of women. I came back home very inspired and even had to extend my vacation a couple more days to play in the dirt in my garden so I could continue feeling “farmgirlish”. Thanks again!

Vicki
Farmgirl Sister #120
Today well lived makes every yesterday a memory of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope.
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  9:23:00 PM  Show Profile
It was the best time!!! Full of memories and full of gratitude to MaryJane, Rene'( have I told you lately, your a peach! :) )
and all the staff and families who put this all together and to all the towns people who opened their arms to us all!!!

Oh, and by the way, who won the drawing for the stay at MaryJane's B&B? We left early on Sunday when I believe it was to be announced?

For tomorrow and its needs I do not pray, but keep me, guide me, love me, Lord just for today.
St. Augustine

Edited by - Julia on Jul 09 2009 9:25:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  8:16:59 PM  Show Profile
Love all the pics I have looked at keep them coming,

Farm Girl #96

http://www.picturetrail.com/misswilmasplace

http://misswilma.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

EllynAnne
True Blue Farmgirl

108 Posts

EllynAnne
Pueblo CO
108 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  8:38:57 PM  Show Profile
Hey! and congratulations y'all! An event of this scope doesn't happen without tremendous heart. I'm just so happy it was the cherry on top.

xxea

Tie One On...an apron, of course!
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2009 :  4:09:52 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Wow, thanks for all the nice comments. We did have so much fun didn't we? I can tell you that there is no ONE person that pulls off an event like this....It takes ALL hands on deck, for sure. I can tell you that each farmgirl that took the time to come, to offer me support,and hugs... it means the world.

I do get emotional when talking about the farm, MJ and the others I work with. I wonder what I ever did to be so blessed. I wish that each of you could see the amazing talent at the farm, it is truly overwhelming. You would all be shocked at how much gets done with just a few people. It has been a huge life lesson for me of what can be accomplished when there is a "can-do" spirit behind it. A whole new definition of farmgirls "Plowing thru".

AlyssaMarie~ Welcome! We never mind Babies :) Jackie (at St. Elmos) was our main contact in Palouse.. She is simply awesome! What a great community you live in.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 **News from MaryJanesFarm: Previous Topic Farm Fair 2009 shakedown!!!!!! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page