harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2009 :  11:35:11 AM  Show Profile
Last weekend, I was working at the quilt shop I work at and my boss tells me she received the latest issue of Mary Janes Farm, which I had been buging her for months to carry in the shop. She said she read it from cover to cover, but it was a "little too organic" for her. How can something be TOO ORGANIC? I just scratched my head and walked away. But that wasn't as bad as the time another woman I work with there strongly urged the owner not to buy any organic fabric because the only people who would buy it were hippie women that didn't shave their legs...that was so incredibly insane I almost died laughing.
I swear some people JUST DON'T GET IT! ... AT ALL! ...Do they?

Debbie

Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3319 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3319 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2009 :  12:11:55 PM  Show Profile
Hey....I'm an old hippie and I definately shaved and continue to shave my legs. LOL Some people huh?

Melody
Farmgirl #525
http://melodynotes-melodynotes.blogspot.com
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

1930sgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Joyce
Alberta
Canada
233 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2009 :  12:19:03 PM  Show Profile
My cousin calls people who are interested in the environment and anything organic...Granola Crunchers. It seems like you either care about such things, or you really don't. There doesn't seem to be people in between or "on the fence".

Count me in, Debbie! I love reading the great ideas in MJF. It makes me feel closer to the way things should truly be.

Joyce
Go to Top of Page

lilwing
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Brooke
Fulshear Texas
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2009 :  12:46:28 PM  Show Profile  Send lilwing a Yahoo! Message
I don't get that myself. Hippie people who don't shave their legs and a little too organic?? lol.

I actually would consider myself a little between or on the fence. I can't afford to go all organic - which is very interesting as I'd think it actually should cost less for people to make organic things etc, etc. It seems it should all be more simple. I also sometimes think things could be taken way too far. I'm sorry, I like toilet paper and I have to use women's monthly toiletries (for lack of a better word - I can't think of the right word right now.lol)! Using human feces for gardening is a bit much for me as well. However, I think you should take cae of the earth and respect and do one's part -- and I think that "being green" or "going green" is a "fad". I hate that word. Eventually, I will try to be as much as possible(!!) but I think things should be within reason. Just my thoughts! :) Everyone is different though ..

~~~~
http://nightbirdtrading.etsy.com
http://www.stevietribute.com
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2009 :  1:20:01 PM  Show Profile
OMG !!!LMAO!!!

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2009 :  1:29:04 PM  Show Profile
TOO organic? That is so funny!!!! OMG! now I'm wondering what that makes me???? lol!
Our MJ is just right by me, she says the right things and I am always inspired by her. So nanny-nanny on the "Too organic" crowd, they just don't get it and we do. Lucky are we to be here and be able to share in all of this too organic goodness...good heavens!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2009 :  2:42:35 PM  Show Profile
I love the "idea" of organic and try to be in my home and garden. However, when bugs or varmits are threating my crops (MY food) I will use insecticide. Big difference is I know what, when and how much was used. At the grocery store just last week, I had a conversation with a couple as we were bagging up some corn. I commented on the fact that it was hard to tell what was used on the corn to keep out the worms. Of course it was frankincorn. As much as we would like to eat just wholesome food, it is not always available.

Oh, and I shave my legs too. But Not as often as my chin.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2009 :  3:37:42 PM  Show Profile
I was a hippie, and loved being a hippie! Go hippie's!!!!!!! I do occasionally shave my legs. LOL
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Laila
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Laila
Kutztown PA
USA
273 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2009 :  4:44:26 PM  Show Profile
Too organic???? Shows us how much more work there is to do educating people. I buy organic when possible and as much locally as possible. I was in the grocery store the other day and overheard a lady ask her husband if the bag of carrots she was holding were baby carrots. She had no clue!!!! Unfotunately I think she is part of the majority of shoppers that have no clue. We need to get the word out there!

Laila
Go to Top of Page

Tidy Aprons
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Oney Farmgirl #638
Colorado
USA
99 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2009 :  4:48:22 PM  Show Profile
Yes, there are some who just don't get it and then there are others who simply don't want to.

Let me explain. I think the rub for some people is that they are offended by "organic" because when you know better or when you learn something and choose not to utilize what you've learned then you end up with a guilty conscience. Does that make sense?

For instance, (now please know that I'm not calling anyone out here...these are just examples! In no way am I picking on anyone!) For instance, when a woman is pregnant and her midwife or doctor explains to her that smoking cigarettes (or anything else) can harm her baby she now knows better! And, if she chooses not to quit smoking then she secretly feels guilty. No one wants to feel guilt!

We all know that MJF magazine causes us to stop and think about what we do with what God has given to us. If MaryJane makes us think about using/buying organic cotton and shares the why of it then we are challenged (not necessarily by her, but many times by ourselves) to live differently. To change our ways takes effort and energy. Some people just don't want to do that.

~Oney~
"There's something a little holy in taking care of the places we inhabit, in summoning sheen. And there's a power in watching over our spaces, the rooms we move within, the sets where our life stories unfold." ~Lori Hall Steele
Go to Top of Page

Tidy Aprons
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Oney Farmgirl #638
Colorado
USA
99 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2009 :  4:49:45 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by 1930sgirl

My cousin calls people who are interested in the environment and anything organic...Granola Crunchers.

Joyce, have you told her the granola is probably homemade from organic ingredients?

~Oney~
"There's something a little holy in taking care of the places we inhabit, in summoning sheen. And there's a power in watching over our spaces, the rooms we move within, the sets where our life stories unfold." ~Lori Hall Steele

Edited by - Tidy Aprons on Jul 05 2009 4:50:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

1930sgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Joyce
Alberta
Canada
233 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2009 :  6:16:15 PM  Show Profile
Oh Oney, you are too funny, girl! I really should tell her that!

Joyce
Go to Top of Page

lilwing
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Brooke
Fulshear Texas
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2009 :  6:58:30 PM  Show Profile  Send lilwing a Yahoo! Message
I particularly like granola, thank you. :D

~~~~
http://nightbirdtrading.etsy.com
http://www.stevietribute.com
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2009 :  7:47:10 PM  Show Profile
I think it is definatly a lot easier to be organic with food if you can grow you own.A lot of people (me included) would love to buy more organic veggies, but 2 organic yellow squash cost $3.99. That is ridiculous. We are lucky and have a lot of farm stands and farm markets around here. So I get most of our things from them. But I am sure they probably have some insecticides on them too. I just do the best I can. I do believe in doing as much as possible for the earth, recycling is a big thing with me. I can't tell you the number of people around here that just won't do it. Not even taking back their cans and bottles and getting their deposits back. That I don't get.They won't wash out jars or rinse off cans nothing to recycle. But, MJ's magazine is so much more than just organic. It is a way of life when I read her magazines I come away with this wonderful feeling inside. They just make me feel so good and trying her suggestions and ideas are wonderful. Even if your boss doesn't get it, did she ever stop to think that her customers might?

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2009 :  7:52:25 PM  Show Profile
Lol! Some people really need to read the mag. and get updated on what organic is all about.

We make a difference. http://huckleberrywine.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2009 :  11:21:39 AM  Show Profile
I don't know, sometimes I feel like I'm floundering in "A STUPIDITY OCEAN"!
This morning, I drove to a small town near me to buy new laundry baskets. About five miles from here I noticed that under the power lines had all been sprayed (instead of cut)and everything under them for about 20 feet on either side was dying or wishing it could. Do they not understand how far that toxic stuff can drift? And if that weren't bad enough, it was trash day all along the way and every single house had at least 4 bags of trash sitting out by the road to be picked up. It made me want to cry. We generate maybe 1 garbage bag of actual garbage per month. We make compost, we recycle everything, we shop for clothes at thrift stores, grow much of our own food, etc. But after seeing this display of insanity today...it really leaves me to wondering, ya know?

Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2009 :  11:37:12 AM  Show Profile
I wish that there was a magic word to help the clueless to "get it", but I'm afraid that so many people are just apathetic and don't really want to change their ways...I'm always so thrilled when some one new joins the forum, or we "convert" some one or they just get it on their own!. I wish going completely organic was more affordable. I have a small income and do the best that I can. It seems that BIG Agriculture has made buying the pesticide ridden and overly processed produce so affordable and organic is just catching on in some areas still. So it may be a while before Organic is more affordable...keep the faith and spread the word...everyone that we help to understand the importance of organic living is a bright spot in the world =)
EDIT: Gosh, I hope that didn't sound too critical?

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Edited by - Annika on Jul 06 2009 11:47:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2009 :  2:04:56 PM  Show Profile
You know, I think a great deal of it is fear of the unknown, doing something "different" and the environment in which you are raised in. Many of us do similar things to our mother's in the kitchen...but this occurred to me last year when I went with a friend, who is struggling with morbid obesity, to the grocery. She was attending weight watchers and had a menu list that we were shopping from. For lunches, she wanted to get some lunch-meat turkey. So, I followed her around for the longest time, to the back of the store and thought, "where the heck are we going?!" She picked up this cheap, pre-packaged, preservative and sodium filled "turkey" (if it's even legal to call it that) and tossed it in the cart. I said, "what about the deli???!!!" She'd never been in her whole life...she was 44 years old at the time, and this is what her mother always purchased (who was also suffering from obesity, diabetes and high blood pressure issues).

My friend grew up in a lower income household, and unfortunately, like Annika said, inexpensive foods are typically the most processed, and terrible for you. Finally, our state is starting to figure out to eduate lower income families on their food consumptions and allowing state funded farmers markets to accept food stamps. I don't know if it's going over, but my point is that I feel like some of the ignorance is based in just where we've come from.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2009 :  2:22:56 PM  Show Profile
I would agree with you Jonni. In addition, so many people think they have to change "all or nothing" to make a difference. I just keep telling people that every little bit helps. Turn off the lights, combine trips to town, look for fresh seasonal food. Here in the intermountain west, not a lot is "seasonal" in the winter, so of course we have to adjust a bit. Do what you can when you can, that's what I keep saying!

"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic What did she say? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page