Lucys daughter Tina
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Tina
aliquippa pa
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2009 :  06:39:26 AM  Show Profile
Hi girls. I joined MaryJane months ago, but with work interferring with fun time on the forum, I haven't spent as much time as I would like to here. Summers off is helping me to be able to go through the forum and I'm very much enjoying.

Here's my question for ya. I'm wondering if any of you could help me with the sex of these Barred Rocks. I recieved them about a week or two ago and I just don't know what they are. The lady had no idea either. She ordered a straight run. I'm thinking I have 3 roosters and 1 hen. Would love to know what you all think. And if there is anything you can suggest me looking/watching for, I'd sure appreciate it.

Oh and O'course I know the white one is a rooster, I couldn't get a picture without him in it. Mr. Center-Of-Attention, doesn't miss out on a thing.

come on over for a visit @ http://sunnyflowerdays.blogspot.com/

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2009 :  10:10:54 AM  Show Profile
I think, and its hard with the pics,I think you have 3 hens and 1 rooster. I am going by the tails, 1 is pointed more up? more than the others, and that usually indicates a rooster .

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2009 :  12:05:24 PM  Show Profile
That is my guess too. That or 4 hens.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2009 :  1:17:31 PM  Show Profile
I was going to say the 2 on the right in the 1st pic look like roos to me. Mine are always lighter and bigger, longer legs.

I had 5 hatch here and I think 4 are roos. But I'll have to wait some more to see. They are starting to fight each other.

I can tell my little Buff roo apart from all the hens because he still has no tail and his comb is larger and so pink. He's a cutie for sure. I named him Jimmy Buffet. But he will soon be way bigger than the girls and very handsome.

How old are yours now? Mine are around 4 months. I'll have to check the calendar.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Lucys daughter Tina
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Tina
aliquippa pa
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2009 :  04:34:43 AM  Show Profile
I'm thiking mine are about 16 weeks too. They have all been given to me, I've been very lucky. However, I have no idea the exact age of them. I'm guessing I'm within a week or two. I have 5 Golden Comets, 4 being hens. I believe they are about the same age. My Golden rooster is trying to crow. Which is so very funny. Talk about teenage boys voice changing, lol. When this guy learns to crow, I'm sure the neighbors are going to wanna send this Golden in the sky with the comets. No matter how bad he sounds, he doesn't give up. Practice makes perfect, I suppose. I find it funny that NONE of the Barreds are even trying to crow. They all do that fighting, even the comet hens. I'm so confused about these things. But I have been thinking around the same lines that 3 are hens. I'll be happy but heart broken in a way, I'll have to choose between roosters then. Barred roosters are so beautiful, but my golden has such personality. I call him Elvis. He is the funniest thing, with the attention span of a flea. He'll start fighting and staring down the hens and the barreds and all of a sudden something catches his attention and off he goes. It's like watching the Terminator fighting then all of a sudden turning to run through a field after a butterfly. It's hysterical. What a goof.

One more question. Spurs, some people say that only roosters get the spurs. But my neighbor has a hen with a spur that'd make a rooster cry. Is that normal? I grew up on a farm but it's been 20 years and when I was that age, sexing chickens was not something I cared much about.

Thanks for the input, girls. I surely do appreciate it.

come on over for a visit @ http://sunnyflowerdays.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2009 :  7:23:05 PM  Show Profile
I have had a couple of hens over the years that have had some pretty impressive spurs, I clip the sharp tips off off my roosters to avoid damage to me and the other chickens.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic chicken questions Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page