kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2009 :  07:27:26 AM  Show Profile
I have had a hen setting on eggs out in the goat barn and they finally hatched! 8 of them. They are so tiny. I think she is a gamey type hen. I knew they had hatched because she was attacking all the goats that got too close! So I tried to get them all back in the barn and they disappeared! I didn't see them again til this morning and they are all in the chicken yard. None of the other chickens come near them. She's another good momma. I thought something had eaten them all. But they are safe so far.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2009 :  07:40:22 AM  Show Profile
Oh, how wonderful, Kris! I know Kansas is gonna have a field day with those new babies!

~~Cherry~~

http://cherrymedarlin.blogspot.com

"A thing is as simple or as complicated as you make it." --TT Murphy
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2009 :  07:50:01 AM  Show Profile
Wonderful news Kristin!
She'll be a great mom.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2009 :  09:12:53 AM  Show Profile
Oh Happy Day!!! Congrats on your new little fluff balls Kris! Hugs~~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2009 :  10:06:16 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Congrats Kris! Aren't little chicks so cute!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2009 :  10:46:54 AM  Show Profile
Oh Kris! I just love little chicks! congratulations! Sounds like she is a good mama!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2009 :  6:08:18 PM  Show Profile
Silly bird. She is all over the chicken yard today. We got rain awhile ago and she's out in the middle of it. But she had all 8 under her. I put the does up there this evening before it started raining and I heard an awful racket. The hen was attacking one of the does for getting too close to the babies! Good momma hen! Poor goat though. She didn't know what hit her.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2009 :  7:11:23 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Kris- that is so funny! Are you going to let her hatch out her eggs all the time since she is such a good momma?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2009 :  10:28:22 PM  Show Profile
Congrats Kris!! What color are yours? Mine are black.

Cindy

FARMGIRLS CAN DO ANYTHING!!!

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2009 :  06:00:43 AM  Show Profile
Alee, I have 48 baby chicks now! I have enuf! I will try to catch the next one that starts sitting on a bunch of eggs and get her off.

There are 6 that are brown with a dark stripe on the back. The other 2 are a reddish black.

I saw them all this morning a little into the hay field. I bet they're going to mow in the next few days, too. Hopefully she'll bring them into the yard then.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  10:01:59 AM  Show Profile
Hey Kris, that's wonderful, did you get a picture of them on their way down to the hay field? Would have made a cute poster I'm sure.

Cindy

FARMGIRLS CAN DO ANYTHING!!!

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1
Go to Top of Page

KellyWall
True Blue Farmgirl

336 Posts

Kelly
Apison Tn
USA
336 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  3:52:48 PM  Show Profile
Congrats Kris! More babies! Mine are growing up so fast, all 8 hens are happy and healthy. We are working on building the coop, hubby is even fencing in a pen for them with porch and a wire cover. He is so talented.
Go to Top of Page

peachy
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Melissa
Fennville MI
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  8:11:32 PM  Show Profile  Send peachy a Yahoo! Message
Congrats Kris! I love baby chicks and it sounds like with 48 now you'll have enough eggs to start your own "omelet house buffet":)

Melissa
Farmgirl Sister #360

http://oldethymecountrybarn.blogspot.com/

Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2009 :  3:48:23 PM  Show Profile
All the little ones are fine and growing fast. They are so funny.

And now I have another hen that wants to set. She had a big ole nest of eggs a few feet on the other side of the fence in the hay field. I took all but 1 and the next day there are 3 under her. So I took 5 of the Welsummer eggs and put under her. That hurts! She got me good a few times. Maybe she onlt wanted 3. But now she will have 8. I have to put a board over them so if some one does mow they will see it and not run over her. That's happened before. Those hens will not move off that nest. So I think by the 20th we should have more babies.

Also foung a huge nest of guinea eggs and a hen that sometimes wants to set on them. Guineas are so fickle. There must be at least 15 eggs. I really don't want more of them. They are such crazy birds.

Kelly, how's the chicken house coming along?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

KellyWall
True Blue Farmgirl

336 Posts

Kelly
Apison Tn
USA
336 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2009 :  7:05:27 PM  Show Profile
Kris, we are almost finished, Joe built the nesting boxes, perch, and a ladder so they can reach the "loft" today, I painted the shutters and the door, finished the trim last night. It looks so good, they actually are staying in the pen area now, they just can't go inside yet. My lab lays outside beside the door keeping watch! She is actually doing well with them. The classes helped a lot! Talk to you soon!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2009 :  10:22:54 AM  Show Profile
I am so upset. This morning I only see 7 baby chicks with the momma. Thay were all there last night. I had put the does up front last night in the chicken yard and they were all in the corner in the middle stall then. Now there are only 7. That's so sad. So I wonder if one of the goats stepped on it. Anyway, it's gone. My first casualty.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic New Babies! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page