Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 A tomato has ripened!!! The first of the Season!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic A tomato has ripened!!! The first of the Season! Next Topic  

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2009 :  08:16:44 AM  Show Profile
I have about a gazillion tomatoes on the vine, but one has ACTUALLY turned red. Oh my! What will I do with it? Will I eat it just as is, will I use it in a sauce, or how about tossed with olive oil, fresh parmesan, cracked pepper and spinach in a pasta?

The options are endless?

What do YOU do with your first ripened tomato???

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2009 :  08:22:49 AM  Show Profile
I pick my first one off the vine and eat it right there! So far we have gotten only cherry tomatoes but we have a million globe and romas that are waiting to turn red. I use the cherries in salads, the globes on BLTs and the rest go towards sauce, salsa, juice etc.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2009 :  08:26:51 AM  Show Profile
I'm thinking that's exactly what I'm going to do tonight, Julie! I really love them that way, or sliced with just a little s & p.

These are heirlooms, too, so I'm anxious to discover the flavor of an old tomato.

I'm growing some sauce tomatoes, some general eating tomatoes and one just for the heck of it called Elberta Peach. I think it's a good eating tomato :)

Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2009 :  08:42:22 AM  Show Profile
Straight off the vine, nothing better than ripe and warm from the sun, I don't use any chemicals, so I don't even have to rinse them off, yum yum yum!!!

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2009 :  09:35:03 AM  Show Profile
I am so jealous. I have big green ones now on some vines..but it will still be a couple weeks for even those to be ripe. We got our tomato harvest in the last half of August and Sept for the most part...I LOVE fresh tomatoes and can hardly wait..lucky you!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2009 :  09:37:39 AM  Show Profile
Actually, Jenny, I'm sortof surprised...it's still a little early around here, really, and we've had some "chilly" nights in the last week or so (around 60 degrees)...unusual weather for a ripe tomato.

Maybe the little thing just knows how anxious I am, and what a rotten month it's been...a little reward!

Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2009 :  10:27:44 AM  Show Profile
I had some cherry tomatoes that were almost completely ripe, but I couldn't wait. So I picked them and ate them standing in the garden! Can't wait for them to all start getting ripe.

The chief source of failure and unhapiness is trading what you want the most for what you want at the moment.
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2009 :  10:35:35 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I have some green ones, but no ripe ones yet, Jonni. I planted mine after you. Which one is ripe? Something is nibbling on leaves of a few. I've babied those tomatoes like you wouldn't believe. :)

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2009 :  10:43:41 AM  Show Profile
It's the Costoluto Genovese...I recently found that Thomas Jefferson grew them, so we're in good company, Janice!!!

I so know you've been babying those tomatoes, and they'll reward you. Right now, between those 2 Costoluto's I see about 30 tomatoes.

What do you fertilize with?

Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4739 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4739 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2009 :  6:15:18 PM  Show Profile
Lucky you! My tomatoes have just finished blooming. We had a long & cool spring so they are a bit behind. God only knows when I'll have any ripe ones to eat.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2009 :  7:31:12 PM  Show Profile
I got my first ripe tomatoes also in the past day or so and I love to slice them, salt them, and gobble them down :)

Diana
Farmgirl Sister #272
St. Peters MO
Country Girl trapped in the city!

http://farmgirldreams.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2009 :  8:24:45 PM  Show Profile
I'd eat it plucked off the vine, still warm from the sun, with the juices dribling down my chin--nature's first fruits of summer.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2009 :  8:28:04 PM  Show Profile
Wonderful news! We have been picking tomatoes for a while. I noticed lately the tomatoe plants are yellowing. Don't know why.
The tomatoes are getting fewer and fewer.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2009 :  06:34:10 AM  Show Profile
We have had one ripe tomato. We sliced it for our hamburger. I have had about a half dozen cherry/sunsugar tomatoes. I eat them in the garden. I call it my energy boost. I don't see another one even starting to turn. Don't know what is taking so long. I am ready to start making salsa and canning juice.
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2009 :  2:03:23 PM  Show Profile
I am so excited for you...I just picked my first tomato 2 days ago...and I have 5 more that are going to be ready in a few days...I counted 35 little ones..cant wait...
Deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page

couggardengirl
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Bridgette
Clarkston WA
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2009 :  8:01:19 PM  Show Profile
The first tomatoes are always the best, those gems you've been waiting for since the first tomato of last season! I picked my first two ripe tomatoes on Monday and had them sliced with s&p for dinner on Tuesday. Anyone for a tomato sandwich on sourdough bread.....I eat them all summer long !! :)
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  06:15:59 AM  Show Profile
Jonni,I got one little ripe one a few days ago. I was saving it for my hubby to have when he got home. He always gets the first one. He had it this morning for breakfast. I sure hope there will be more. And bigger, too.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  06:18:14 AM  Show Profile
So sweet, Kris...I've had 2 more since then and I'm just beside myself (stupid, right?) Each night I go out and there's another! I did have to stake up the vines again because with all the rain we've had, they're just crazy. Looks like a good tomato season (hopefully!)

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic A tomato has ripened!!! The first of the Season! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page