countrykatgirly
True Blue Farmgirl

186 Posts

Hallie
Jordan NY
USA
186 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2009 :  05:42:06 AM  Show Profile
I love a good romance book. Some of my favorite authors are Diana Gabaldon, Debbie Macomber, LaVyrle Spencer and Myrna Temte. I'd like to hear from other readers about their favorite authors and books.

**Farmgirl Sister #622**

“It is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all.”
--Laura Ingalls Wilder

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2009 :  06:31:18 AM  Show Profile
I'm not generally a romance novel type person, but Montana Sky by Nora Roberts was a FANTASTIC book. I loved it!! Read it in less than 36 hrs. I couldn't put it down.

The chief source of failure and unhapiness is trading what you want the most for what you want at the moment.
Go to Top of Page

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2701 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2701 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2009 :  06:57:58 AM  Show Profile
I honestly love all books out there. I am a total book nut! I read anything historical (history is my passion) fiction, non-fiction, biography, craft related, sometimes science fiction, love historical romances and...
Need I go on, lol!! I have so many favorite authors, but if I had to narrow it down in the romance department I would probably say..
Julia Quinn, Lynn Kurland the late and wonderful Kathleen Woodiwiss-my mom got me into reading her. Jude Deveroux, Teresa Medeiros, Lisa Kleypas, Dorothy Garlock...again, I could go on and on because I can still think of so many that I always buy just on name alone. I have hundreds of books in my house with over eighty of them in my bedroom closet waiting for me to read. Umm-yes-I do believe that I said I was a book nut. Thanks for such a great topic. I can't wait to see what everyone else loves to read.

Farmgirl #170

Since you get more joy out of giving joy to others, you should put a good deal of thought into the happiness that you are able to give...Eleanor Roosevelt

http://marcysworldofcreativity.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Marcy on Jul 06 2009 04:33:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2009 :  07:16:26 AM  Show Profile
Well, I don't read romances persay, but I do read other types of books with Romance thrown in. :) I just finished one called Murder List by Julie Garwood. She is one of my favorite Authoress'. Her beginning books were romance: For the Roses etc. They were really good. Set in the settling of the old west.
Her newer ones are mostly mystery/suspense with good old romance thrown in.

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

"You are my strength when I am weak. You are the treasure that I seek. You are my all in all. Seeking You as a precious jewel; Lord, to give up I'd be a fool. You are my all in all."

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2009 :  5:47:31 PM  Show Profile
I am a big Diana Gabaldon fan but even tho her books are classified as romance I don't really think they should be. Did you know she has a new one coming out in September?

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2009 :  7:07:21 PM  Show Profile
Sarah, I just put Montana Sky on hold at my library.

Trish

Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2009 :  12:14:19 AM  Show Profile
Marcy, I'm with YOU! I'm a total book FIEND too! Everywhere you look in my house you will literally find a STACK of books on so many different topics!

I also love many of the same romance writers you mentioned-- Jude Devareux, Dorothy Garlock ("Ribbon in the Sky" was one of my most favorites-- oh, and so was... Homeplace? Homefront? I forgot the name! But it was really good too!), Kathleen Woodiwiss-- "The Flame and the Flower" is my all time favorite romance. I've read it about 4 times I think. I also love Judith McNaught, ("A Knight in Shining Armor" was good-- VERY funny too! and "Whitney My Love" was wonderful), Johanna Lindsay ("Fires in Winter" is FABULOUS) and also Karen Robards. She started out as a Historical romance writer, but has shifted to more "Modern" times. Her books are still good though. Oh, and I also LOVED the whole "Savage Ecstasy" series (there were 6 or 7 books total I think) by Janelle Taylor. If you love stories about Indians, you'll really like that series.

I will have to try out some of the other authors mentioned. Don't think I've ever read any of their books.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2009 :  12:50:54 AM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
Historical romance addict here. I love Diana Gabaldon and oooohh a new book? I can't wait! I also think I've read everything Lavryle Spencer has ever written. Jude Deveraux, Kathleen Woodiwiss, Johanna Lindsay....all very good writers. I've also found Rosamunde Pilcher books to be just wonderful. Tastefully written and you just feel like you are there when you read her books. Anya Seton's Katherine will always be my favorite book. If you like historical romance novels that one is a gem and a long read. Plus while liberties are taken with the story line many of the facts are real and involve Geoffrey Chaucer's (the poet, Canterbury Tales) sister-in-law who had an affair with the Duke of Lancaster. Lots of romance, intrigue, the black plague, murder, kings, queens. Can you tell I love this book? I want to say over a thousand pages and for me it is one of those you can't put it down books.

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://fantasm01.imagekind.com/
http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

countrykatgirly
True Blue Farmgirl

186 Posts

Hallie
Jordan NY
USA
186 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2009 :  04:35:31 AM  Show Profile
Sheep Mom 2, when I worked at Waldenbooks, back in the early 90's, we first shelved Diana Gabaldon under fiction. Trouble is, all the women who wanted her books never looked there, they always looked in romance. To make things easier for all concerned we started filing her under romance instead.

Years ago I read a lot of Bertrice Small, although some of her books are kind of wild for me now, LOL. Katherine Sutcliffe is great; I liked "Fire in the Heart" best. I wrote her once years ago and she sent me a nice note and all kinds of autographed things. Dorothy Garlock is good. I especially liked her Route 66 and Dolan Brothers series as I have always been interested in that time period in US history. Someone else not to be missed in Rosanne Bittner. For those who like the native American romances do NOT miss the Savage Destiny series. Zeke and Abbie are great characters. Also good (though out of print, darn it!) are Montana Woman and Embers of the Heart.

**Farmgirl Sister #622**

--Laura Ingalls Wilder

Edited by - countrykatgirly on Jul 07 2009 04:36:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2009 :  09:55:33 AM  Show Profile
Out of print books can often be found on Ebay and Amazon.com. I have been buying books from the 80's that I read when I was in GRAMMAR SCHOOL! LOVED 'em! I have about 10 of the 20+ books, written by 5 different authors, so far. Some of them I got for only a Penny! Though the shipping runs about $3.99, but it's still worth it. ~~Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2009 :  10:23:27 AM  Show Profile
I'm a serious book addict! I love historical fiction and romances from all times, I also adore mysteries and suspense novels...love true history, cook books, true stories and craft books...I could go on, but yes I love a good Romance =)

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  10:25:14 PM  Show Profile
I just read my first Debbie Macomber book last week and really liked it. I've read a couple more since. I think it's a combination of her writing and that much of what she writes is based in the Pacific NW. I also love LaVyrle Spencer! Barbara Taylor Bradford writes great books, especially her saga starting with "A Woman of Substance". As far as what kind of books I like....does it have print? I like it!

My reading stack for the lake includes authors: Janet Evonovich, Catherine Friend, Michael Pollan, Barbara Taylor Bradford, and Nora Roberts. What can I say...I have a lot of down-time at the lake.

"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

JulieJ
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

Julie
In The Trees MD
USA
40 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  4:18:42 PM  Show Profile
I love Nora Roberts!! In fact she's sorta kinda a neighbor. She lives on the next ridge over from us. I've seen her in town outside her book store.
Go to Top of Page

Laila
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Laila
Kutztown PA
USA
273 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  4:35:12 PM  Show Profile
I love books by Debbie Macomber, Nora Roberts and Linda Lael Miller. I go to eharlequin.com and shop their sales. You usually get free shipping if you spend $25.

Laila
Go to Top of Page

countrykatgirly
True Blue Farmgirl

186 Posts

Hallie
Jordan NY
USA
186 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2009 :  1:25:07 PM  Show Profile
I just finished Summer On Blossom Street by Debbie Macomber. It was really good.

**Farmgirl Sister #622**

--Laura Ingalls Wilder

Go to Top of Page

countrykatgirly
True Blue Farmgirl

186 Posts

Hallie
Jordan NY
USA
186 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2009 :  12:06:22 PM  Show Profile
I just finished Rewriting Monday by Jodi Thomas. I'd never read anything by her before but I will again! I couldn't put it down.

**Farmgirl Sister #622**

--Laura Ingalls Wilder

Go to Top of Page

LisaTwo
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Lisa
Hampden Maine
USA
127 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2009 :  5:21:25 PM  Show Profile
Oh check out this blog.

http://suzannemcminn.com/blog/

She writes for Harlequin and she has the cutest farm.

http://pinkporches.blogspot.com/

*And you know when the truth is told-- you can get what you want--or you can just get old.* (Billy Joel)
Go to Top of Page

Autumn Leaves
True Blue Farmgirl

463 Posts

Jennifer
Northern California
USA
463 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2009 :  6:54:52 PM  Show Profile
Nicholas Sparks is the one for me! I have all his books! He's the Message In The Bottle guy. A couple others have been made into movies as well. Nothing better than a good book, with winter coming he has a new one out I'll be reading first rain!

Jennifer

Never let yesterday use up too much of today - Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

krissy
True Blue Farmgirl

278 Posts

Kristen
Snohomish WA
USA
278 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2009 :  09:19:59 AM  Show Profile
I love romance books! I'll read a lot of different kinds in that genre but especially lean towards historical romance and also historical inspirational. Love it! I don't really have any favorite authors in that area.

~So many books, so little time~
Go to Top of Page

ruenietwoshoes
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

Patricia
Thornton West Virginia
USA
90 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2009 :  6:02:21 PM  Show Profile  Send ruenietwoshoes an AOL message  Click to see ruenietwoshoes's MSN Messenger address  Send ruenietwoshoes a Yahoo! Message
I love romance books...prefer alot of Christian.. like Beverly Lewis. Janette Oke, and Wanda Brunstetter. I'm also into Biographies and murder books as well.

<3 Patricia
sister.daughter.lover.knitter.best friend.quilter.hand stitcher.a cook.a soon-to-be-nurse.animal lover.mountaineer.facebook junkie.and a new blogger.and a lover of God!

I'm only 21! :)

http://sweetsugarstitches.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

krissy
True Blue Farmgirl

278 Posts

Kristen
Snohomish WA
USA
278 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2009 :  11:50:03 AM  Show Profile
I love Beverly Lewis books! And Janette Oke.

http://lateinlifemommy.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2009 :  11:55:11 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Berverly Lewis and Janette Oke books are also my favorite.
Maggie
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2009 :  12:15:30 PM  Show Profile
Book addict # ?? here, lol. I love most kinds, esp. Christian fiction, with suspense and a dash of romance thrown in.
Not a real Romance book lover, but some of Debbie Macomber are very nice.

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

countrykatgirly
True Blue Farmgirl

186 Posts

Hallie
Jordan NY
USA
186 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2009 :  08:22:11 AM  Show Profile
I just realized yesterday that I saw Montana Sky as a movie! It was good, too.

**Farmgirl Sister #622**

--Laura Ingalls Wilder

Edited by - countrykatgirly on Oct 27 2009 1:50:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

Cheryl
True Blue Farmgirl

919 Posts

Cheryl
Magalia CA
USA
919 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2009 :  4:57:04 PM  Show Profile
I just finished the book Nosy in Nebraska (three books in one) by Mary Connealy. It is a mystery with a bit of romance. Very good book!

Cheryl, Farmgirl Sister #48
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

http://craftyhands.typepad.com
cheryl12.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

countrykatgirly
True Blue Farmgirl

186 Posts

Hallie
Jordan NY
USA
186 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2009 :  08:15:52 AM  Show Profile
Oh, thanks, Cheryl. I will see if my library carries her books.

**Farmgirl Sister #622**

--Laura Ingalls Wilder

Edited by - countrykatgirly on Oct 27 2009 1:51:13 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Reading Room: Previous Topic Romance Readers? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page