forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2009 :  8:48:31 PM  Show Profile
Isn't it great to learn new things...This past weekend DH took me to the Pope & Young Club/ St. Charles, MN Museum of Bowhunting. I'm not into hunting. But do enjoy the self-discipline of target shooting. What an awesome museum. We picked up 2 books. "The Witchery of Archery" by Maurce Thompson, and "ISHI In Two worlds" a biography of the Last wild Indian in North America", a very interesting, but sad account.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2009 :  8:58:34 PM  Show Profile
I'd like to read the book about the last free Native American. Isn't it ironic that as we celebrate Columbus day, the poorest people in our country live mostly on reservations?

"Dog is my co-pilot"

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2009 :  6:58:51 PM  Show Profile
So, ironic. I also find it difficult to believe that Ishi was the last "free", "wild" American Indian. Surely more people must have hidden themselves from the whites. Perhaps, its all a matter of perspective. However, as I read between the lines I found Ishi to be very intelligent, probably more so than his "captors".

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2009 :  7:14:03 PM  Show Profile
I just finish reading, "The Education of Little Tree", about a young native american boy. What a super good, wonderful, heartwarming book.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

ruenietwoshoes
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

Patricia
Thornton West Virginia
USA
90 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2009 :  5:25:43 PM  Show Profile  Send ruenietwoshoes an AOL message  Click to see ruenietwoshoes's MSN Messenger address  Send ruenietwoshoes a Yahoo! Message
Sounds interesting! I believe you just told me a good about a good read I'm going to get for my winter reading! Thanks!

<3 Patricia
sister.daughter.lover.knitter.best friend.quilter.hand stitcher.a cook.a soon-to-be-nurse.animal lover.mountaineer.facebook junkie.and a new blogger.and a lover of God!

I'm only 21! :)

http://sweetsugarstitches.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2009 :  8:04:04 PM  Show Profile
If you enjoy reading about Native Americans, a good contemporary book is A Cherokee Feast of Days, by Joyce Sequichie Hifler. It's a collection of daily meditations, most of them having to do with the natural world. Reading them is like having someone show you a secret spring in the woods.

"Dog is my co-pilot"

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ridgebird
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

willow
MO
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2009 :  1:54:58 PM  Show Profile
The "Education of Little Tree" is one of my top 5 books. It is so good to read to feel grounded. Peace
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic New type of read for me Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page