Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2009 :  08:33:58 AM  Show Profile
Ok, so now you know for sure that I am new at this canning stuff, but I have only my "farmgirl" friends to ask. So, here we go again! Yesterday I canned peaches and I was pretty disappointed with the way they turned out. First, I had a hard time getting the pit out so I manhandled the fruit a bit. Second, they shrank so that they floated too much. I tried hot and cold pack (cold pack because I thought it would be more gentle on the fruit.) Anyway, I sure would not win a prize at the fair with these peached. Although I am NOT that picky, I do want them to look nice! Do you have any tips? I think the main thing I am hoping for is for the fruit to look less beat up. Thanks SOOOO much! Cindy

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2009 :  08:53:51 AM  Show Profile
Your fruit was just a tad over ripe or it was the type of peach. Some will lose the pit without even a try some will hold on to it and you do end up mangling the peach. You can really pack peaches in a jar I always use a wide mouth much easier. I have also frozen peaches treat them with lemon or citric acid and water lay a single layer on a cookie sheet and freeze and then when solid store in ziploc bags and just take out and use what you need.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273

Edited by - gramadinah on Jul 01 2009 10:24:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2009 :  09:17:18 AM  Show Profile
Are you blanching first? Are you cutting in slices, if so , it should be easy to pit them then. Wide mouth jars are a must with peaches, and you pack them fairly tight, then add liquid to the top and seal.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2009 :  09:45:24 AM  Show Profile
Be sure the peaces are freestone otherwise it's almost impossible to get them off the pit. I don't can my peaches anymore - I prefer them frozen as they still taste like a fresh peach. Definately a wide mouth jar for packing and be sure to run a chopstick down the side of the jar to release any air bubbles in the liquid before putting on the lids.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2009 :  10:01:08 AM  Show Profile
Yea, and a few years ago I tried that fruit fresh.

My peaches looked terrible and tasted weird
Go to Top of Page

Laila
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Laila
Kutztown PA
USA
273 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2009 :  10:32:40 AM  Show Profile
Be sure you don't have clingstone peaches. I cut my peaches in half and put them in the jars. I fill the jars as I peel. Like the other farmgirls said, use wide mouth. It is easier. I heat my syrup (sugar and water) and pour it in the jars and put them in a water bath canner for 20 minutes. Hope this helps. Do any of you do it differently? I tried freezing them, but I don't care for them.

Laila
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2009 :  11:05:38 AM  Show Profile
I was going to second what Sheri said - be sure you're buying freestone peaches.

Farmgirl Sister #98
Visit my online store at:
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2009 :  3:40:36 PM  Show Profile
If you DO have clingstone peaches they still make wonderful jam..and you CAN, with a little more work dice the peaches right off the pit and can diced peaches...very handy to have canned too. I LOVE peach canning time. Usually the pits do come right out though. Sounds like you may have the wrong kind. They ARE tastey though!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2009 :  2:11:49 PM  Show Profile
OK, My second try went much better!! I think what I was doing was blanching them too long and they were actually a little UNDER ripe! Therefore I was blanching like crazy to get the skin off and then they were falling apart! I did several jars today and they look better (Diana, I did pack them much tighter.) So, if they seal....we are off to the races! I work one day a week at a farmers market so I get all the peaches I want at the end of the day. You can imagine how important it is for me to get this dowm pat! Thanks for all your help ladies! I will be back it I run into more problems!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2009 :  2:19:52 PM  Show Profile
Lucky you getting the peaches like that. yep..underripe ones do cling to the pits more!! Sometimes when I buy peaches (many lugs all on the same day) I have to just pick over and can the ripe ones first and wait a day or two and then do more...underripe ones float more too, besides the pit-grabbing thing. Have fun with all those peaches. You will be so proud of yourself this winter when you can open a nice jar of summertime!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2009 :  08:07:34 AM  Show Profile
I agree with making sure they are freestone peaches. Also, when the freestones first come in, they will also cling to the stone, so I wait until a little further into the season before getting mine.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic ANOTHER canning question!!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page