Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  5:25:25 PM  Show Profile
When we were very young, it seemed like we lived on KoolAid and fruit roll ups. Then as I got older and Mom more nutrition minded, we ate different foods. Fruits, veggies, homemade snacks like banana chips, apple slices, etc.
Now that I have kids of my own and money is tight, I find myself feeding them sugary cereal, popsicles for a snack, and letting them drink gatorade and such to their hearts contents.
However, I am finding that whenever I try to drink or eat those kinds of things that I end up with sad reprocussions from it. UTIS, Sugar lows, etc.
Could it be that it would have been better to let my body be used to eating the fruit rollups and koolaid so that I wouldnt be fighting this now? I always wonder that if we didn't eat all that home made stuff for years, would my body being able to handle the things I am trying to eat now??
hehe..I hope all that makes sense. ;)
hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

"You are my strength when I am weak. You are the treasure that I seek. You are my all in all. Seeking You as a precious jewel; Lord, to give up I'd be a fool. You are my all in all."

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  7:17:50 PM  Show Profile
Jessie:
The key word, I believe, is "Money". I believe it takes a bit more money to be "natural". I try to be, but sometimes I've just got to eat that brownie!
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  7:30:13 PM  Show Profile
I don't give my kids alot of sugar..never have. I didn't with my older, grown boys either, but with these it is even more because I have one who is really really affected by sugar...he just bounces off the walls when he has any, sugary drinks effect him the quickest...so to be fair..I just limit it for everyone. I don't ever use artificial sweeteners, but do use naturally sweet things..fruits, dried fruit, things like that. I try to be as natural as possible..but there are times when all stop for ice cream. Just need to. The kids don't ever get sodas or eat candy regularly, but we make wholesome snacks. My kids are big cheese eaters and love fruit.
I think because I don't eat so much sugary stuff myself, the kids don't expect it. But...my husband is a different story..haha. I think we all just need to do the best we can.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  8:16:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Actually I don't think it costs more to eat natural than processed food. Instead of an apple fruit roll up with HFCS in it, you can buy the same number of apples for half the price-especially in season. Then they are getting vitamins, fiber, and the other side benefits of chewing food. Our teeth and gums need to be massaged by food to be healthy (or so my dentist says). If you eat a lot of processed food, they don't get as much exercise and it can lead to receeding gums and hidden plaque buildup.

I think the processed foods stress our bodies no matter what, but when we are younger, we handle it better. Jessie- perhaps your problems aren't because you switched to natural foods at one point- but perhaps your problems are because for a long time you ate processed things and that stressed you body? Granted I am in trouble then too, but I can already feel liver and kidney issues coming on so I don't doubt that I have used up a lot of my "get out of jail free" card already.

Our bodies are meant to eat whole, fresh, unprocessed foods in a wide variety. The Convience foods are great once and a while but not all the time.

We have a big thing of powdered gatorade but it only comes out when someone is sick. We drink water or homemade lemonade which is much cheaper than the gatorade(two cups lemon juice, two cups sugar, dilute to taste but I think that makes a gallon or perhaps a half gallon).

I guess it all boils down to "You are what you eat" If you don't have the proper building blocks, you body will make do with what it has, but at what cost?

http://www.all4naturalhealth.com/understanding-nutrition.html
(end of the page has a good discussion)

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1312212/3_health_benefits_of_eating_whole_foods.html

http://books.google.com/books?id=XsBJnpCwWLYC&pg=PA292&lpg=PA292&dq=benefits+of+eating+natural+foods+vs+processed+foods&source=bl&ots=th86wW626d&sig=gC5vfw3_hB6PeAw-aj_fl-LVLxs&hl=en&ei=WtRKSp6PM9PmlAfC3-EX&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3

http://ezinearticles.com/?Processed-Foods-Cause-Frequent-Eating---Know-Why-You-Should-Avoid-These!&id=2417915

We fall into the convience trap here too... Just tonight it was too hot to cook and Doug and I were both tired and cranky. So instead of having a nice salad and something grilled or baked...we went out for fast food. But already now I feel gross and am regretting my decision.

Like Aunt Jenny said- We just need to try to do the best that we are able to. Somedays my best is potato chips, but each day I strive to not have that be the case! LOL

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Is natural always best? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page