Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  5:18:46 PM  Show Profile
Tori and Levi are 4 and 3. I try to give them snacks throughout the day, but am finding that alot of it gets wasted and they don't eat it.
What are good snacks (I am looking for cost efficient also) for my toddlers.
Right now, they eat a whole box of macaroni and cheese between the two of them and call it a snack. Shortly thereafter, they are looking for lunch.
Somedays, its like feeding bottomless pits.
So, ladies, what would be good??
hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

"You are my strength when I am weak. You are the treasure that I seek. You are my all in all. Seeking You as a precious jewel; Lord, to give up I'd be a fool. You are my all in all."

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  5:25:57 PM  Show Profile
homemade granola in little cups are always a hit. My kids loved (and still do) cheese chunks and crackers, celery with peanut butter, apple slices, just bread and butter, bananas, pretzels, tortillas just rolled up with butter, or cheese, or peanut butter. Peanut butter on nearly anything makes it more filling.
Wait until your kids are 12 and 13 ...you ain't seen nothin' yet. Sorry.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  5:31:41 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Charlie only has fruit, jello, chocolate milk (I buy the lower sugar, higher protein, organic--well worth it to me) or fruit popsicles for snacks, with all the water he wants. I don't like to load him up on empty calories. He is the bottomless pit and I find fruit keeps him satisfied for at least 5 minutes. ; )

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  5:33:07 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
If you want to add an organic peanut butter or plain yogurt sweetend with honey or agave, he likes that too.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  6:53:54 PM  Show Profile
Fruit, veggys, peanutbutter on apples with honey dip. Make your own fruit roll-ups, dried fruit, plain yogurt with grapenut cereal and a little honey. I homemade mac n cheese, so much better and cheaper. You think they are bottomless pits now, LMAO, just wait til pre-teen, then OMG, teenage boys. Mine still ate the same stuff for snakes, only the quanity went from a cup of, to a quart of!!!

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  8:22:32 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Nora LOVES her apple slices with peanut butter! Somedays all she wants is a bowl of peanut butter! If they are acting like Starvin Marvins, try going for the higher protein snacks. Mac and cheese is a bit like eating Chinese food- lots of carbs and very easily digested.

Nora also loves Hard Boiled eggs. We buy a dozen a week just to hard boil and she will eat 3-4 in a day. It is also much cheaper to buy 5 dozen at a time, and cheaper still at Costco. If I have time or remember to (which I often don't) pre-peeling them is a great idea and then you can work the shells into your garden.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  8:52:10 PM  Show Profile
I can only add that I wish my son ate al the tghings your kids do. He is so picky. He has sensory issues and we celebrate when he tries new things!
Go to Top of Page

Claude09647
True Blue Farmgirl

761 Posts

Claudia
Our Dairy Farm Pennsylvania
USA
761 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2009 :  4:40:40 PM  Show Profile  Send Claude09647 an AOL message
fruit leather works well too, as an every now and again treat

"If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door."
Go to Top of Page

1930sgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Joyce
Alberta
Canada
233 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2009 :  5:01:11 PM  Show Profile
My kiddos used to absolutely love Knox Blox. The original uses Jello powder, but I made a more healthy version.

KNOX BLOX
4 envelopes of KNOX unflavored gelatin
1 cup of cold fruit juice-my kids especially loved grape juice
3 cups fruit juice, heated to boiling
2 TB of sugar or honey(optional)
Lightly coat 13x9x2 pan or favorite molds coated with oil.

Start heating the 3 cups of fruit juice.
While heating the juice, sprinkle gelatin over cold juice in large bowl; let stand one minute. Add hot juice to cold juice mixture and stir until gelatin completely dissolves about 5 minutes.
Stir in sugar or honey if desired.
Pour into 13x9x2 pan or favorite molds.
Refrigerate until firm, about three hours, generally longer for molds. When using pan, cut into squares or have fun with the cookie cutters.(My son loved dinosaur cookie cutters)

Joyce

Edited by - 1930sgirl on Jul 14 2009 5:02:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2009 :  5:19:22 PM  Show Profile
My kids like anything with dip. So I slice up tons of veggies and keep them in the fridge and then give them ranch dressing to dip them in. Or apples and peanut butter, or even the carmal dip you can buy at the store (you can make your own with cream cheese, brown sugar, and vanilla). Cheese sticks or cheese and crackers. Fresh fruit or fruit cocktail from a can. Hard boiled eggs. Air popped popcorn.
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2009 :  6:44:14 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth,
Don't your kids have trouble with the popcorn? Everyone tells me how great it is, but I am so afraid they are going to get one of the hulls stuck in their throat and choke on it. They rarely eat it because I don't have time sit there and pick out each and every part that isn't soft popcorn. :P
hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

"You are my strength when I am weak. You are the treasure that I seek. You are my all in all. Seeking You as a precious jewel; Lord, to give up I'd be a fool. You are my all in all."

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2009 :  9:35:00 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Nora is 2, almost 2.5 and she has been eatting popcorn for at least that last 8 months. She loves it!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Good Snacks for Toddlers Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page