lelasfriend
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

sara
baltimore MD
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  7:00:25 PM  Show Profile
I just finished reading The Omnivores Dilemma by Michael Pallon. I thought it was a brilliant book - well researched, thoughtfully written, well balanced and thought provoking. It really covered all sides of the food issue and looked at the strengths and weakness in all the food chains. I was wondering if anyone has read any of his other books and if they were equally as good. His newest is In Defense of Food, but he also wrote three earlier books. Thanks, Sara

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  7:25:16 PM  Show Profile
Sara,

I am reading the book right now. I can't believe someone else is talking about it. My primary care doctor told me about it. I like it a lot. I have had a concerned attitude about our food production since I was a little girl. Both politically and for safety reasons. I remember sitting on my grandparents back porch when I was about ten and listening to the conversation about the government control on how many acres of peanuts my grandfather could plant. I asked them why and they said it was so the price of peanuts would stay up. I was told they took arial photo's of farmers property and if you had too many planted they made you plow them up. I told them this is supposed to be a free country and it wasn't right. That was back in the sixties. I don't like the manipulation of markets and government. I know we have more food now than ever, but what is the quality of it really. Look at the condition of the land now and the chemicals it takes to keep it all going. My real concern is if the government stops paying subsidies to the farmers,then they could loose their farms and the food supply as bad as I think it is would be so depleted that people would go hungry.

This is just my opionio, but I would love to hear others.

Sharlet
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  7:36:22 PM  Show Profile
Sharlet:
You share my views completely.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  7:45:00 PM  Show Profile
Marly,

I just wonder how many other people are really aware of it. That's the reason we are trying to get as self-sufficient as possible.
Go to Top of Page

CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  7:50:17 PM  Show Profile
Sharlet, I remember my farming granddaddy traveling to Washington in the 70's to protest government regulations on small farmers. It's an issue I've been aware of since I was young myself. Sad thing is, I feel just as helpless now against it as I did as a child.

~~Cherry~~

http://cherrymedarlin.blogspot.com

"A thing is as simple or as complicated as you make it." --TT Murphy
Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  7:55:10 PM  Show Profile
I just bought "The Omnivore's Dilemma" and "In Defense of Food" to read at the lake. I will also be taking part in a discussion group this fall based around "The Omnivore's..."

Our food safety is a HUGE issue to me. So much, in fact, that I WILL not buy produce that isn't grown in the US. We eat as close to home as possible. We are a family of hunters and have eaten wild game for as long as I can remember. About 5 years ago, we started supplementing our meat with pork we grow ourselves, and each year I buy an FFA lamb from a local kid. We have also raised and eaten rabbits. Many of my students thing it's aweful, but I tell them that our critters really only have one bad day...and we don't eat our "pets"...there is difference

We trade eggs for goats milk...we drink the milk, and make cheese from it. Little by little, we are getting there.

I think the time is ripe for the "slow-food" and "farm-to-table" movements as people become more and more concerned. I think family farms can be hopefuly because there is increased interest in local foods. The idea of niche marketing is HUGE and I think can have a big impact on our society. People are starting to demand better quality from our food, and that doesn't come from giant farms that transport their product thousands of miles! They say that the average piece of fruit you buy at a super market has been touched by 33 different people...yuk!

I'll stop for now...this topic can get me going a long time! I'm pretty passionate about it.

"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  7:58:06 PM  Show Profile
Cherry,

I feel like its a trap for the farmers and they can never really get free from it. My dad always said the farther you keep the government away the better off you are. He started raising canteloupe and watermelons that weren't restricted. I really worry about America as whole though.
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  8:16:32 PM  Show Profile
I have been saying for many years that people need to get back to the basics and raise/grow there own food, start co-ops and trade, barter for what you need,also fish and hunt, if you can afford the tags, I have friends that split the cost of the tags and scout for the shooter, better chance of a bag, and they share the meat.WE WILL have civil un-rest with the way this economy is, people are already stealing what others are putting-up to be able to continue feeding their familys, even city people can grow a portion of there produce, and even can. i could go on and on, but you all get the picture, stock up on everything that will keep, and don't forget sundrys.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  8:55:11 PM  Show Profile
I know things are getting bad , because the thefts in this area are way up. We had a neighbor with a tractor stolen and another one with a trailer loaded with fence panels (they stole the whole trailer) and a four wheeler all stolen in the last couple of months. We lock everything up and stay guarded. We had another that ran someone off in the middle of the night when they pulled into the barn area with a trailer. He just started shooting and they took off. Really never found out who it was, but they didn't get to stay long enough to get anything from him. Civil unrest is a real possiblility and I hope I get prepared before it happens.
Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  10:36:29 PM  Show Profile
Thankfully hunting tags in MT are cheap and easy to get for residents. Deer tags less than $20 and whitetails are a dime a dozen. You are right though....the worse things get, the more desperate people are going to get.

"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  07:54:32 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Love, love, love Michael Pollan. Briiant writer and a good speaker. He has a great website as well http://www.michaelpollan.com/

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

http://www.maryjanesfarm.com/RFBlog/
www.twitter.com/RuralFarmgirl

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

lelasfriend
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

sara
baltimore MD
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2009 :  07:53:17 AM  Show Profile
I couldn't agree more with the opinions on this thread. I think we need to work hard to eat local food and have sustainable agricultural methods. I think food safety and environmental issues are major. I would like to see the documentary movie made from the book that just came out. It is called Food, Inc. and got a good review in our local paper. I am hoping that the movie will raise even more awareness of the food issues. I also think we need to step back from all the government regulations. One thing that would help is to allow farmers to market directly to the consumers from their farms. A farmer here just won a long protracted court battle to allow him to sell dairy products directly to consumers at his farm. I think the only way to help save America's dairy farms is to allow farmers to have their own on site creameries and to sell milk, cheese, yogurt and icecream directly to their neighbors. Farmers lose so much when they have to go through a middleman. Preservation of farmland should include the abilty of farmers to have stores on site. I do not feel this is against preservation of farmland. So many people move to the country but do not support the agricultural nature of the country! Anyway I am happy to be growing as much produce as I can in my yard so we can eat fresh food daily. Right now we are harvesting lots of salad vegies and green beans and squash. I love fresh picked lettuce especially for a salad for dinner minutes before we eat it. Thanks for the website information and i look forward to checking that website out. Sara
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic omnivores dilemma Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page