Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  11:30:24 AM  Show Profile
I ran over one of our baby kitties with the riding lawn mower. Ran over him with a wheel, the blades wern't turned on. At least I didn't chop him up in little pieces. Ole Ron came out and took the shovel and did whatever he does with dead animals. The kitties are just getting to the cute stage where they are running and playing all over the shop. This one was under the mower. I can't believe he didn't run out as soon as I started the mower. From now on I'll do a lot of banging around before I start any motors.

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  11:34:56 AM  Show Profile
Oh Belle, that is just so sad!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  11:36:36 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Belle, I am so sorry! I know how sad you must be, but you're right, at least you didn't have the blades going. It's a helpless feeling. The neighbors German shepherd got a hold of my DD's baby kitty and while he was just playing with it, he ended up killing it. I was screaming my dern head off at him but couldn't get near him because he didn't want me to take his "toy" away from him and would growl at me. He has a reputation for biting, so I just felt so helpless and horrible as my baby girl watched me "do nothing". That was about 4 or 5 years ago and to this day she gives me a hard time for not saving her baby kitty.

~~Cherry~~

http://cherrymedarlin.blogspot.com

"A thing is as simple or as complicated as you make it." --TT Murphy
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  11:43:24 AM  Show Profile
Oh Belle, I'm so sorry. I'm telling you, tragedy must just be in the cards for this month. Don't be hard on yourself, accidents happen--I'm so sorry it happened to you, though...and the wee one.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3324 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3324 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  11:52:56 AM  Show Profile
Belle....I am so sorry. Gives you a sick feeling huh? It will be okay.

Big hug...

Mel
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  12:05:21 PM  Show Profile
Oh Belle..I feel so bad for you. One year I accidentally put my knee down on (and killed) a baby chick and I couldn't get that feeling gone for so long. Accidents happen..but it does stink!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  12:30:18 PM  Show Profile
I'm so sad for you Belle. Poor Kitty, but you didn't MEAN to do it!!! Don't beat yourself up over it.

My poor Pot Belly pig "Opal" (the pink menace who destroyed my garden EVERY SINGLE year for the past 9yrs) died in a horrible accident in May. My husband ran over her with the hay Swather when he was cutting hay. He wasn't even going to tell me about it, but I just KNEW she was gone. I finally got it out of my Oldest son (he's 19) what had happened. I cried for 2 days and I never even thought I LIKED that pig!

She was so MEAN and so SPITEFUL-- even to the point of chasing me across the lawn, covered in MUD and determined to dirty my Sunday Church clothes! When she couldn't get ME dirty, she had the audacity to rub her dirty BUTT all over the side of my car!!!! She was a terror all right, but... oh how I MISS that dirty rotten pig. I know my husband felt bad. So bad in fact that he was actually AFRAID to tell me what he'd done. But, like Jenny said, Accidents happen and we are, at times, powerless to do anything about them. ~~~ Hugs ~~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  1:58:43 PM  Show Profile
Belle, I am sorry, I've had simalir accidents here as well, It was an accident, pure and simple.

Cherry, What a horrible thing to have to see, as in another post, "Bad Dog", I would have shot the dog, and If I could,nt, I would have insisted the owner do so, especially when the dog was known to "bite", cause someday it could have been a child.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  2:22:51 PM  Show Profile
I agree Teresa!! ~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  3:21:49 PM  Show Profile
You're right, Teresa. Any other dog, any other situation and I'd had the shotgun in hand. The thing of it is, the only person King would bite was my hubs! And always on the butt! As long as Brian didn't turn his back on King, he was fine. We don't know why it was Brian and why on the butt, but King never broke the skin. Guess it was kind of hard to through Brian's jeans, but... It's become something of a joke with the neighbors and now King has mellowed in his old age. The neighbors did express their remorse and sympathy to us, being animal lovers themselves. They even offered to replace the kitten. And King has redeemed himself with us. We have another neighbor who has dogs with a pack mentality. He's a not so very good dog owner at all! He bought the property and turned his dogs loose before moving up here. King and his 3-legged side-kick, Daisy, came to visit one day when that pack of dogs came to investigate. They had my border collie mix pinned down, but King came to the rescue and backed them down until I COULD get the shotgun. Several of those dogs left out of here with bird shot in their hind end! They've killed a few small dogs, one belonging to the granddaughter of King's owners, and get the shotgun welcome every single time I catch them coming over my hill!

~~Cherry~~

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  5:47:18 PM  Show Profile
Belle:
Sorry about your kitten. Accidents happen. Loosing a pet is always sad. Be strong.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  5:54:58 PM  Show Profile
Belle,

Sorry about your little kitty. It is so hard to watch out for all the animals all of the time, especially when they are babies and don't know how to look out for themselves yet.
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  01:02:47 AM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
Belle,
I am so sorry this happened to you. I know it's hard to understand when an accident like this happens. I think if you live on a farm and have pets things like this happen. Especially cats. The old saying curiosity killed the cat is so true. They think they just have to come investigate whatever is going on even if it puts them in danger. My folks live on an acreage and have both run over cats over the years and both are cat lovers so it upsets them so much. That's why last summer I ended up bringing home a deaf kitty from their place as they were quite attached to her and so afraid she'd get run over cuz she'd never hear the car engine starting up if she was anywhere around. Huggzz to you and hopes your aching heart mends soon.

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://fantasm01.imagekind.com/
http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  10:47:01 PM  Show Profile
Belle, how terrible. I would have sat right down and cried if it were me. It was an accident and you have to forgive yourself.

Cindy

FARMGIRLS CAN DO ANYTHING!!!

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1
Go to Top of Page

yasmine
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

yasmine
wappingers falls ny
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2009 :  12:04:13 PM  Show Profile

Belle,

I am so sorry for the loss of your little kitten. Accidents do happen though. And your little kittie is now in a much better place right now called heaven. I will be praying for you! Don't blame yourself. Like I said accidents do happen and there is a reason for everything.
Who knows maybe something worse would have happened to your kittie in the future? Or maybe in the future he would have gottten rabies and hurt you or your family when he was older. God has a reason for everything. God bless! And take care Belle!

-Yasmine
Go to Top of Page

yasmine
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

yasmine
wappingers falls ny
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2009 :  12:12:21 PM  Show Profile
[font=Times New Roman] Oh my goodness Cherry! That is horrible! I feel so bad for that kitten! But who knows. Maybe if you had tryed to get the kitten the dog could have hurt you really bad! What did your neighbor say when he heard? You must hate that dog now?! I know I would!.....

-Yasmine /font=Times New Roman]
quote:
Originally posted by CherryMeDarlin

Oh, Belle, I am so sorry! I know how sad you must be, but you're right, at least you didn't have the blades going. It's a helpless feeling. The neighbors German shepherd got a hold of my DD's baby kitty and while he was just playing with it, he ended up killing it. I was screaming my dern head off at him but couldn't get near him because he didn't want me to take his "toy" away from him and would growl at me. He has a reputation for biting, so I just felt so helpless and horrible as my baby girl watched me "do nothing". That was about 4 or 5 years ago and to this day she gives me a hard time for not saving her baby kitty.

~~Cherry~~

Go to Top of Page

CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2009 :  1:19:24 PM  Show Profile
Yasmine, they were extremely upset and apologetic. The GS was being really playful, like he had a toy. But I was too scared to get too close to him. I was worried he'd bite me and then where would my baby girl be? There were times I'd come home from work and he'd be here at the house and wouldn't let me out of my truck. He'd come running up to the door and every time I'd try to get out, he'd start barking at me. I'd have to call the neighbors and tell them to come get him. The strange thing is that he's not anything like that now. I don't know if it's old age or what, but he just can't seem to be bothered by anything or anyone anymore. It may have been all the times his butt got locked up in the kennel for being so BAD!! I don't hate him. But I don't have anything for him either!!

~~Cherry~~

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic I am just sick Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page