Tidy Aprons
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Oney Farmgirl #638
Colorado
USA
99 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2009 :  9:59:34 PM  Show Profile
What do you use? Pot rack? Cupboards? I'd like to find the bottom of an old wooden baby crib/bed to make a pot rack.

~Oney~
"There's something a little holy in taking care of the places we inhabit, in summoning sheen. And there's a power in watching over our spaces, the rooms we move within, the sets where our life stories unfold." ~Lori Hall Steele

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2009 :  11:47:47 PM  Show Profile
What a great idea. Mine are in the cupboard..but my cast iron that I use every day is handy in the big drawer thing at the bottom of my oven. I would love to figure out better storage in my very small kitchen. I would love to see a picture of your crib pot rack when you finish..sounds great!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

1930sgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Joyce
Alberta
Canada
233 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2009 :  08:00:19 AM  Show Profile
My pots and pans are in my cupboards. I have large drawers in the most of the bottom half of my kitchen cabinets, so I stack my pots with the lids inside. Works great! The taller, dutch oven type pots are in a bottom drawer. I'm kind of a "minimalist" in my kitchen. I don't like a lot of "stuff" out on display. The only things on my counter are a crock with utensils in it and a couple of vintage decorative cookie jars.

Joyce
Go to Top of Page

Tidy Aprons
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Oney Farmgirl #638
Colorado
USA
99 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2009 :  08:19:40 AM  Show Profile
I wish I had the drawer space. That sounds fabulous. I need ideas. I'm not having any luck finding my wooden crib bottom. Or a ladder--which was my first choice.

~Oney~
"There's something a little holy in taking care of the places we inhabit, in summoning sheen. And there's a power in watching over our spaces, the rooms we move within, the sets where our life stories unfold." ~Lori Hall Steele
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2009 :  08:40:43 AM  Show Profile
I have a small kitchen too, with very little cupboard space. I've got my pots and pans stacked on a shelf in the pantry, with the lids in a drawer (also in the pantry). It's not the most convenient arrangement, but then nothing else in my kitchen is convenient either. I'd love to find a way to store them within easy reach of the stove...but first I have to decide whether the stove will stay in the same spot when I get a new one.
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2009 :  09:43:31 AM  Show Profile
My pots and pans all hang from a potrack that is over my island. I have a very small kitchen, so I built a long narrow island for extra counter space and storage shelves. It holds my dry goods in 1 gal jars, i.e., rice, sugar , beans etc. My pot rack was made from an old corncrib panel, hung from chain attached to hooks from the ceiling.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2009 :  11:51:21 AM  Show Profile
Mine are in the bottom cabinet next to the stove. The kitchen in this house is pretty big, but my number one complaint is the cookstove. It one of the electric ones that has the smooth top and it just doesn't suit my cooking. I like to cook in cast iron and its not supposed to be used on these stovetops. I will eventually replace it. I need my cast iron. I do love pot racks though. The corncrib hanger is pretty cool Teresa. I remember playing in my grandparents corncrib. Thats another snake story.
Go to Top of Page

Tidy Aprons
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Oney Farmgirl #638
Colorado
USA
99 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2009 :  9:22:09 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by 1badmamawolf

My pots and pans all hang from a potrack that is over my island. I have a very small kitchen, so I built a long narrow island for extra counter space and storage shelves. It holds my dry goods in 1 gal jars, i.e., rice, sugar , beans etc. My pot rack was made from an old corncrib panel, hung from chain attached to hooks from the ceiling.

Sounds exactly like my situation. The potrack like you describe is what I'm after.

~Oney~
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  06:21:53 AM  Show Profile
Does anyone know...is it a good idea or a bad idea to have a pot rack directly above the stove (no vent/hood over the stove)? It seems like it would be very convenient, but do the pots get dirty from the cooking food below them?
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  07:30:13 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I have mine in a cupboard. I stack them as much as able and have an organizer that is actually for plates that i use for the lids. I really want one of those hanging rack things but I think I am too short. It would have to be pretty low for me to reach and being that low- my husband would bang his head all the time. LOL ;)

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

thethriftycountrywoman
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Jane
Port Austin Michigan
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  07:40:48 AM  Show Profile
I probably have the smallest kitchen of all (it's 7 1/2' X 14 1/2'. I keep my pots next to the stove in a french pot stand. It only takes up about 16 square inches of floor space.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9382 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9382 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  07:57:29 AM  Show Profile
I hang my pots and pans on a ladder rack with S hooks.
It hangs over my small chest freezer in the pantry.

Denise
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Storing pots and pans Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page