Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2009 :  6:41:51 PM  Show Profile
I am running low on rings for my jars and I think I can recall my mother taking the rings off her canning. What do you guys do, take them off or leave them on? I am very frugal so if I can save a buck, I WILL!! Speaking of frugal (AKA CHEAP!) I just bought a bunch of jars at thrift stores for hardly anything, just incase anyone needs more of them!

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2009 :  6:47:49 PM  Show Profile
I have taken the rings off more than once to use when I'm canning and have run low, BUT, once you open a jar, you will need that ring to close the jar up , until you've finished eating whats inside.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2009 :  6:57:34 PM  Show Profile
I always take mine off unless I am saving it to enter in the fair. It is actually what you are supposed to do. Moisture can collect between the ring and lid and cause rust and it also is easier to tell if a seal failed. I string mine on peices of twine and hang in my cellar (or kitchen in canning season) in big loops until needed. I havn't had to buy new rings in years and years. I always keep a few in my kitchen to put on the odd salsa or jelly or jam that we bring up and don't finish in one sitting.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2009 :  8:26:39 PM  Show Profile
ditto to Jenny
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2009 :  8:45:11 PM  Show Profile
I leave my rings on, because , more than once we've had a small earth quake here, ( I live in California), just enough to rattle the jars together, and pop seals, and waste a whole lot of good food

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2009 :  9:20:41 PM  Show Profile
One of my friends told me that her mom always wrapped each jar she canned in newspaper..just around the glass part I mean..like a wide strip and taped it on every jar. My...she was ambitious!! I imagine it keep them in the dark more. I guess. I like seeing what is in my jars though.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2009 :  9:51:36 PM  Show Profile
I always store mine with the rings off. The master canners program advises this as the ring on can mask a jar that isn't really sealed and as previously mentioned moisture can collect and cause rust.

Sheri
Go to Top of Page

MissDotty
Farmgirl in Training

49 Posts

Anna
Coralville IA
USA
49 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2009 :  11:02:25 PM  Show Profile
I take the rings off. I also don't store open jars with the metal lids, I replace them with the white plastic lids designed for freezing.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2009 :  11:46:14 PM  Show Profile
I love those white plastic lids!! If you girls don't have some..you must get some..they are so nice...they have both the regular and wide mouth and come in packages of I think 6 or so. I use them on my 1/2 gallon jars (wide mouth size) for milk too...and like Anna said..for fridge storage.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2009 :  09:52:49 AM  Show Profile
Well ladies, just wanted you all to know, my Mama just chewed my butt off. I mentioned that everyone on this topic said don't store with rings on, and she said of course you don't! I said , well I did'nt know that, I've been leaving them on for 35 years, and she said I was'nt listening very well was I. Long story short, I will be removing all lids today.

Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2009 :  10:24:53 AM  Show Profile
Aunt Jenny, I like your way of storing the lids on a string. I've been tripping over piles of them in my pantry and I'll take care of that this weekend.

I didn't know you were supposed to take the rings off either. I thought I was getting away with something when I took them off to re-use on new canning!
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2009 :  11:53:50 AM  Show Profile
I take the rings off everything that I pressure can. The things I water bath, I leave the rings on. Seem to me that the seal is not quite as tight on the water bathed jars.

When I choose my jars of stuff to enter in the fair, I wash and shine the jar and put on a NEW ring, right out of the box to make sure there is no rust. And, don't put the ring on too tight, the judge will take off the ring to see the top of the product.

Where do you get the white plastic lids. I have not seen them that I know of. Are they with the canning stuff?
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2009 :  1:26:36 PM  Show Profile
They sell the white plastic lids (either Ball or Kerr..can't remember) right by the canning supplies around here.
The rings on a string I learned about 20 years ago from an older lady at church..she gave me some canning jars she didn't need any more and I saw how she stored the rings...an AHA moment for me for sure!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2009 :  5:47:31 PM  Show Profile
WOW! I'm glad I asked. I knew I could count on you guys to fill me in! Now I know I don't have to buy any more, you saved me some $$$. Thanks! But, one more question. What difference would it make to the finished product if the ring is a bit rusty? I know some that I got at thrift stores were a little funky. Would you just toss those?
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2009 :  6:04:04 PM  Show Profile
I always toss the rusty ones - they are harder to screw on straight and harder to get off. Be sure your jars are completely cooled before removing the rings.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

antoinette
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Toni
East Freedom PA
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2009 :  8:40:19 PM  Show Profile
Hello Girls,
When you make your jams and jelly do you use your pressure canner or just a water bath?
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2009 :  8:43:13 PM  Show Profile
Toni, I only use the water bath, I don't know of any that would have to be pressure canned, Anyone else know?

Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2009 :  8:44:43 PM  Show Profile
I use water bath. As I understand it, only low acid foods (veggies) need a pressure canner. What about you?
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2009 :  9:49:06 PM  Show Profile
Hot water bath for jams and jellies.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

MissDotty
Farmgirl in Training

49 Posts

Anna
Coralville IA
USA
49 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2009 :  11:24:15 PM  Show Profile
Since pectin needs a certain amount of acid to work (as far as I recall) most jams and jelly should have enough acid that they can be put up with the hot water bath method. Pressure canning is usually for low acid foods.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2009 :  12:03:31 AM  Show Profile
Just the water bath always...only low acid things (meat and veggies) need to be pressure canned as a rule.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  06:32:34 AM  Show Profile
Contact your county extension agent(most counties have one) and ask if there is a Master Food Preserver in your area. They are the best source of information about canning....other than a Farmgirl of course.

It's not about being perfect, but enjoying what you do. Set aside time to be creative.

Robyn Pandolph

Go to Top of Page

candela59
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Peggy
White Swan WA
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2009 :  11:39:16 PM  Show Profile  Send candela59 a Yahoo! Message
I have come across numerous recipes for canning jams and fruits that give very explicit directions on the preparing and cooking of the product and how to fill the jars only to have the recipe end with something like this "can according to standard canning methods". What the heck does that mean? Being a novice this is not at all helpful. How do you know how long to process peach jam vs. peach halves? We newbies need detailed and complete directions! Is there a standard time for jams, fruits and all the other possibilites? If anyone knows, I know you gals do. Thanks, Peggy :)

www.thewanderlustgirl.blogspot.com

"Happiness is not having what you want, it is wanting what you have."

Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2009 :  07:55:48 AM  Show Profile
I have been canning for years and always left the rings on for fear of the lids getting loosed by accident (bumping against other jars etc). I never thought about the moisture causing problems. Thanks for the info. I will begin removing them this year.
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2009 :  12:54:24 PM  Show Profile
Most canning books will give you specific times to can say, cold pack peaches in quarts or tomatoes in pints. Look for a good canning book....Ball Blue Book or actually any decent canning book will have that information usually in chart form. Or like I said above, find a Master Food Preserver through your extension office.

It's not about being perfect, but enjoying what you do. Set aside time to be creative.

Robyn Pandolph

Go to Top of Page

farmeratlast
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Jana
OR
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2009 :  04:08:34 AM  Show Profile
I was just coming here to ask that question. No rings for me and a long piece of twine to hold them. You gals are great!
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Canning question....... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page